Wood | Page 3 | Vital Football

Wood

Skip155 - 10/8/2016 17:00

We won't be signing Clay in CM http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/08/10/craig-clay-joins-the-steelmen/

A shame as he is someone who I think could hsve gone into the 11. Another Cowley target who has gone to a side we shouldn't really be competing with again. Certainly looking at the right calibre of player.

nlondonimp - 10/8/2016 16:37

collins was the obvious indian league reference.
cowley mentioned 350 appearances. collins has bang on that number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGfFRmzsVc
pops up left side, right midfield and attacking centre mid in this... hopefully still mobile, as we don't want to be trading-in stanley for another old truck.

Would also be my concern of he is the target and we go for him. Just let Sparrow go and Stanley is listed who can both do a 'steady job'. I'm sure Cowley would have watched recent games though and know if he is more capable or not.

I can't make my mind up. I'm leaning towards Wood at RB because I think Wood-McCombe(Waterfall)-Raggett-Habergham is a top back four at this level and I think a good back four wins you things.

BUT, in a midfield two in ostensibly a 442 you need your CM to cover a shed load of ground and Wood can do that. I'm not sure if he is a tad limited as a CM (but a very good RB) but then I'd much rather him pressing and tackling and being all action than Power, for whom so many question marks still remain.

If it comes down to Power or Beevers I probably take Power. I don't think Hawkridge can play CM in a 442, it's him or Muldoon on the right, he's cover for the left and an option off the frontman. It might just be can we get a better starting RB or a better starting CM and who's out there, and that makes the decision for us.

get the strongest two in centre mid and you control the game. in which case beevers comes under much less pressure.
weaken centre mid, and however good wood is at full back... they are going to be pressurising our back four much more.

I think there are issues with McCombe's fitness. I certainly don't expect him to be starting too many Saturday/Tuesday runs.

Perhaps Cowley is trying out centre-back pairings; we may well see Raggett and Howe on Saturday.

Have changed my mind about keeping Wood in midfield - the comment above about Wood - McCombe - Raggett - Habergham being a top defence at this level may well be true, and we have yet to keep a clean sheet with Wood in midfield. We probably don't need to if we can keep scoring four and a half goals a game, but that isn't likely. And we do have Hawkridge to come back in to the midfield, and possibly Power too. My only doubt is whether we will lose attacking impetus with Wood back at right-back.

nlondonimp - 10/8/2016 18:23

get the strongest two in centre mid and you control the game. in which case beevers comes under much less pressure.
weaken centre mid, and however good wood is at full back... they are going to be pressurising our back four much more.

That sounds true too. My brain aches. Has Cowley tried photocopying Wood, as he suggests?

SIMJON - 10/8/2016 19:13

I think there are issues with McCombe's fitness. I certainly don't expect him to be starting too many Saturday/Tuesday runs.

Exactly, pretty sure that's why he didn't play CB yesterday. It was mentioned before that he would be undertaking less vigorous training, so playing two games in four days is unlikely. Will be interesting to see which pairings become favoured.

Think Hawkridge can play centre midfield, did toward the end of last season and set up a number of goals from memory.

Davidimp - 10/8/2016 21:45

Think Hawkridge can play centre midfield, did toward the end of last season and set up a number of goals from memory.
Dont think hawkridge defensive abilities are that good to be cm though

I could be proved wrong!!