Wigan | Page 4 | Vital Football

Wigan

Couple of posters on Vital Wigan had me in tears.........

Of laughter!View attachment 65851
Astonishingly, some of them believe the EFL is picking on them and not allowing them time to meet requirements.

Let's look at some facts instead.

Wigan cheated on an eyewatering scale: £46 million to be exact.

Their fans blubbered and roared their eyes out when the brown stuff hit the fan in 2021, calling for the support of the football family to keep their magnificent, well-run football club in existence.

It survived by walking away from that debt, screwing local businesses and charities and sending some of them to the wall instead of themselves.

We then had to suffer grinning, gloating Wigan fans at Sincil Bank on 9 April 2022 as their rejuvenated club cheated its way to the L1 title.

("Here 'cause it's Wigan; you're only here 'cause it's Wigan...")

2021-22 accounts published: £7.5 million lost in one year - you are having a laugh, surely? Apparently not.

Wigan then take the entirely deliberate decision to live way, way, way, way beyond their means once again, this time in the Championship, employing an 'unsustainable' wage bill (in the words of their own chairman) and being unable to pay the wages of the players who had signed for them in good faith. Including Anthony Scully, who deserves better.

Guess what happens next?

The brown stuff hits the fan again when the club's financial profligacy endangers its own future LESS THAN TWO YEARS after what was salvation of escapologist proportions.

And the poor fans are blubbering pitifully, blaming the EFL, calling out their terrible owners, calling on the support of the football family.

How much longer will the vicious circle be allowed to continue?

They deleted the first one and have now Tweeted this...

In case anyone is wondering what this is, one of Wigan Athletic's major sponsors has severed its ties with the club:

"Regretfully the off field headlines have taken centre stage in recent months and subsequent events have fallen below our minimum standards. Trust and Confidence are essential ingredients to lasting relations and on closer reflection we feel that our business values are no longer aligned."

That sponsor is owned by a big Wigan fan as well I think.

65% is a massive drop to have to make, you wonder how they're doing to manage that. But their Owner reckons they'll still have a competitive L1 budget? In that case, I dread to think what budget they went with into the Championship.

Going to be an interesting few weeks with them at Fleetwood - what is it about that NW area and dodgy owners?! Oldham, Bury, Macc etc.

The other point they don't mention is that they spent all that money and were still uncompetitive, so they clearly aren't very good at building football teams. They seem to gloss over their own ineptitude and responsibility - bit like their attitude to paying wages.

I wonder if that is symptomatic of how they operate as people and Wigan is run as a whole?

The other point they don't mention is that they spent all that money and were still uncompetitive, so they clearly aren't very good at building football teams. They seem to gloss over their own ineptitude and responsibility - bit like their attitude to paying wages.

I wonder if that is symptomatic of how they operate as people and Wigan is run as a whole?

also tells you that the gap between league one and the championship is massive.

Going to be an interesting few weeks with them at Fleetwood - what is it about that NW area and dodgy owners?! Oldham, Bury, Macc etc.

You forgot the best ones of all in the North West, they had a whole family of dodgy b@stards 'running' or more aptly ruining them.....Blackpool.

So many conflicting stories from Wigan. Everyone is blaming departed CEO Mal Brannigan, who promised everyone following the takeover by Phoenix in 2021 that Wigan would follow a strict sustainable budget (please don't split your sides laughing at this point). Brannigan then won a host of awards including Football Business CEO of the Year (please don't laugh, it isn't polite) before being sacked. Apparently it is all his fault for overspending, but surely the owners knew what the financial situation was at any time? And the owners say they have problems transferring money to the UK, yet they also claim that money for WAFC is secured against UK assets (loans, mortgages?). They also say they are about to put 'an eight-figure sum' into the club, yet also say £2m to £3m per year is the plan. Eight figures seems unlikely, considering that by their own admission they are unable to find enough cash to pay wages each month. Kolo Toure still hasn't been paid, apparently, and he was sacked in January.

Make sense of that, if you can. Perhaps the eight-figure sum being invested is £00,000,000.

As I mentioned earlier, which of these debacles don't include statements that go,

"we are really rich, honest"
"there is a temporary (insert smoke and mirrors excuse) problem with getting the money, but we are really rich, honest"
"there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and we have sent someone to collect it and everything will be alright in a few (days/weeks/months), honest"

If it quacks like a fraud, shoot it and be done with all the quacking.

Wages due today for staff and players at Wigan. As the expected 8 figure funding has not materialised I think we can expect to see them on -12 points by next week.

Wages due today for staff and players at Wigan. As the expected 8 figure funding has not materialised I think we can expect to see them on -12 points by next week.
it will rack up to at least double that, there will be an appeal and the EFL will reduce it to 3 points suspended until the next Millennium. A spokeswoman for Wigan will acknowledge "He's not the Messiah, just a very naughty boy"

Hilariously, some Wigan supporters are calling for another friendly against Glasgow Rangers (as per 2018) to raise money for their glorious, well-run club in its time of need. How ironic is that? A game between one of English football's perennial cheats and the biggest cheats ever to disgrace Scottish football in order to raise money for more cheating.

Apparently, all of this is the fault of the EFL, who are not helping Wigan in any way. 'Try abiding by EFL rules' would be my advice.