Wigan sporting company | Page 4 | Vital Football

Wigan sporting company

That’s not true Talal. And his mate could have just kept hold of the stadium and let it rot. Stranger things happen in life
Whar an absolute load of crap. If Talal and his mates did not pay the wages and tax bill then inland revenue would have gone for a winding up order. So what you are saying is that Talal and his mates would offer the tax man a bank account with nowt in it, players with no value as they have had their contracts broken but ask them to leave the only remaining asset (the stadium) in their hands so they can let it fall down round everyone's ears.

One word. Idiot!!

Keane sold the other day, now whether you're bothered or not the squad has been weakened, not showing much ambition that is it with only a few weeks before the season starts?

I don't want my team in a league 1 relegation scrap or be relegated and languishing in league 2.

Have we spent any money on players?

Whar an absolute load of crap. If Talal and his mates did not pay the wages and tax bill then inland revenue would have gone for a winding up order. So what you are saying is that Talal and his mates would offer the tax man a bank account with nowt in it, players with no value as they have had their contracts broken but ask them to leave the only remaining asset (the stadium) in their hands so they can let it fall down round everyone's ears.

One word. Idiot!!
What ever.

I'll bet the Worriers will be "spending/strengthening" their squad later on in the year.

No loan deals for them mark my words.

That craps started already. Wigan Eggs Academy played Warrington Eggs Academy on our pitch.
I think you will find it is not "your" pitch it belongs to Mr Danson to do with what he likes.

So I would suggest if you want to continue watching football at the DW then I wouldn't rub him up the wrong way.

With all due respect to the squad we have hardly got a group of players, nor are likely to be playing against players who will need a pitch like a billiard table.

There are other teams in the EFL who ground share with Rugby clubs who don't seem to have this issue.

One word. Idiot!!
We’re should we start. Corrupt owners in foot ball. And stadiums. First one Darlington. Left to rot away. Rushton and diamonds left to rot away. Maidstone. Left to rot. Scarborough so it does happen. Bury. Only for the local mp would have. Rotted away. And that’s why Danson stepped in. To make dam sure the Rugby had a home to play at.

...and if Warriors weren't playing, the DW would be a neutral venue.
True moonay, but there are plenty of other venues to accommodate semi finals. Why would they need to play at the DW??

And this is only one game in a season so not really worth arguing about. Even if you chuck in an international it is not likely to haveaa huge effect on the pitch given that most games are played in summer when the ground is pretty solid.

True moonay, but there are plenty of other venues to accommodate semi finals. Why would they need to play at the DW??

And this is only one game in a season so not really worth arguing about. Even if you chuck in an international it is not likely to haveaa huge effect on the pitch given that most games are played in summer when the ground is pretty solid.

If you get a Warrington v St Helens semi, a local ground to both sides with a high capacity would be preferable. It's a no brainer. Revenue going into the stadium to pay for it's upkeep. Danson knows exactly what he is doing. His aim is to get both clubs sustainable. The financials in both sports are worlds apart as we know. Football is a black hole for cash burn so if he achieves that goal he has already done what nobody else could do. Rugby is obviously a different kettle of fish with wages being a lot less and transfer fee's pretty non-existent. I wonder if the Rugby fan village will be converted into a dual village for both teams and re-branded. It would make sense.

I’ve read the boards for years and never joined but now felt a good time. I am a fan of both clubs (football and rugby) and one person owning both is music to my ears. The bickering between both sets of supporters over the years has always been a source of frustration for me. We’re a small town with two sports clubs that people should be proud if. Nobody is forced to support both, some people don’t like rugby, some don’t like football but both clubs would benefit from a closer relationship.

In terms of the ownership and the new owner, we’re extremely fortunate there is a businessman from the town, who is extremely successful and has the finances to sustain both clubs. I read people talking about his ambition in terms of the football and mentioning us not spending money yet. I can’t help rewind a month or two and I’d have snapped somebody’s hand off to be in this position. I think he’ll look to make us more self sustainable and in the next couple of seasons, we might just have to temper expectations but just having a club to go and watch seemed in doubt at one point. We might start to rely more on the academy and bringing young players through brings a connection with supporters and a sense of pride, so I’m more than happy if we do that.

I know a closer relationship between the football and rugby isn’t something everybody will get behind but it really can benefit both clubs and it’s something I’ve wanted to see for a long time. I honestly think the future looks bright. If this is a first step in eventually seeing the stupid rivalry between some supporters of both clubs being put to bed, I’ll drink to that.

Bring on the season

It was the worst kept secret that MD had already acquired more shares since his initial investment and was lined up to buy the rest in the not too distant future.

Now you see why he was keen to acquire the Latics (and the stadium).
'It was the worst kept secret that MD had already acquired more shares' I beg to differ - it's been the best kept secret. Some friends whom are Warriors shareholders certainly didn't know. Neither was this transaction lodged at companies house. Perhaps you can reveal your source?

I’ve read the boards for years and never joined but now felt a good time. I am a fan of both clubs (football and rugby) and one person owning both is music to my ears. The bickering between both sets of supporters over the years has always been a source of frustration for me. We’re a small town with two sports clubs that people should be proud if. Nobody is forced to support both, some people don’t like rugby, some don’t like football but both clubs would benefit from a closer relationship.

In terms of the ownership and the new owner, we’re extremely fortunate there is a businessman from the town, who is extremely successful and has the finances to sustain both clubs. I read people talking about his ambition in terms of the football and mentioning us not spending money yet. I can’t help rewind a month or two and I’d have snapped somebody’s hand off to be in this position. I think he’ll look to make us more self sustainable and in the next couple of seasons, we might just have to temper expectations but just having a club to go and watch seemed in doubt at one point. We might start to rely more on the academy and bringing young players through brings a connection with supporters and a sense of pride, so I’m more than happy if we do that.

I know a closer relationship between the football and rugby isn’t something everybody will get behind but it really can benefit both clubs and it’s something I’ve wanted to see for a long time. I honestly think the future looks bright. If this is a first step in eventually seeing the stupid rivalry between some supporters of both clubs being put to bed, I’ll drink to that.

Bring on the season
Nice post 83, but don't waste your time.

I have been banging this drum for ages and you will get one of three responses. 1) acceptance of co-existence. 2) Indifference and little or no interest. 3) Total vitriol from those who would rather have both or either club go bust than give any ground. I put the latter group under the general heading of "trumpites" as in if in doubt make it up.

I'll bet the Worriers will be "spending/strengthening" their squad later on in the year.

No loan deals for them mark my words.
You seem to argue against yourself here Frank. Warriors can strengthen their entire squad for what it may cost for one signing in football.

I bet the wage bill for the Latics will by far outweigh the rugby as you point out in another post. So are you saying Danson should restrict spending on players for both teams to the same level.

The revenue from league one is not going to be much different.

Bring on the season
The only fans this pleases are fans like you that watch both teams. Because first time he invests in a player or anything for one club the other fans won’t be happy. That’s life. No matter who is in charge. You are are a fan of one or the other. No one can be a true fan of both.

The only fans this pleases are fans like you that watch both teams. Because first time he invests in a player or anything for one club the other fans won’t be happy. That’s life. No matter who is in charge. You are are a fan of one or the other. No one can be a true fan of both.
I’d like to think I’m a true fan of both. Ultimately he’ll struggle to spend any money in rugby anyway, so I don’t think any out and out Latics fans will be getting too miffed with it. We could go and sign an average league one player for say 500k. The rugby club could probably buy the best player in the country for that but can’t fit them under the cap anyway. The rugby fans won’t get miffed if he spends money on the football while they’re at that cap limit (which they always will be). It’s a positive that the sports are a million miles apart in financial terms IMO, as unless we look for problems where there aren’t any, it’s a struggle for there to be that sort of ‘he’s spending on them but not us’ clash.

I’d like to think I’m a true fan of both. Ultimately he’ll struggle to spend any money in rugby anyway, so I don’t think any out and out Latics fans will be getting too miffed with it. We could go and sign an average league one player for say 500k. The rugby club could probably buy the best player in the country for that but can’t fit them under the cap anyway. The rugby fans won’t get miffed if he spends money on the football while they’re at that cap limit (which they always will be). It’s a positive that the sports are a million miles apart in financial terms IMO, as unless we look for problems where there aren’t any, it’s a struggle for there to be that sort of ‘he’s spending on them but not us’ clash.
'The rugby fans won’t get miffed if he spends money on the football while they’re at that cap limit'.

I'll bet they won't.