Wigan Athletic v Reading FC - Saturday 17th September 2022 - 15:00 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic v Reading FC - Saturday 17th September 2022 - 15:00

wafcharvey

Vital Youth Team
Well, tomorrow we face Reading, with a great chance to record our first home win of the season and extend our winning run to 3 games - The last time we managed to record 3 consecutive wins in the Championship was the 3-0 victory over Stoke City on 30th June 2020. The day before the darkest day in the clubs history. It is truly marvellous to see how far we have come since that day, less than 2 and a half years ago!

Our first Saturday home game since Burnley and our first weekend home fixture outside of 'Holiday Season' so hopefully a decent home turnout.

On the pitch, Reading are coming off the back of a 3-0 home thumping from Sunderland and have been a real unpredictable side so far this season under Paul Ince. They are currently on a run of 17 (or 18) games without a win North of Stoke (Courtesy of the guest on the PWU Podcast) - Which hopefully will play into our hands as a psychological block for them.

I imagine that Reading will set up behind the ball as we tend to do - So with us being the home side I expect the onus to be on us to have the ball for probably the first time this season.

Barring any knocks, I expect we will line up unchanged from the side that started on Tuesday, especially with a 2 week break after this game.

I think we are due some goals and I'm going to go for a 3-0 home victory, going into the Internationals on a high.

UTFT!

Well, tomorrow we face Reading, with a great chance to record our first home win of the season and extend our winning run to 3 games - The last time we managed to record 3 consecutive wins in the Championship was the 3-0 victory over Stoke City on 30th June 2020. The day before the darkest day in the clubs history. It is truly marvellous to see how far we have come since that day, less than 2 and a half years ago!

Our first Saturday home game since Burnley and our first weekend home fixture outside of 'Holiday Season' so hopefully a decent home turnout.

On the pitch, Reading are coming off the back of a 3-0 home thumping from Sunderland and have been a real unpredictable side so far this season under Paul Ince. They are currently on a run of 17 (or 18) games without a win North of Stoke (Courtesy of the guest on the PWU Podcast) - Which hopefully will play into our hands as a psychological block for them.

I think we are due some goals and I'm going to go for a 3-0 home victory, going into the Internationals on a high.

UTFT!

Like ur optimism & prediction Harvey...n a few others have predicted a game we should win yet when I looked at the table I didn't realise they are 4th in the league....can't be any migs to be in that position imo so I don't think it'll be easy n we may well struggle, here's I hoping I'm wrong 😉

Like ur optimism & prediction Harvey...n a few others have predicted a game we should win yet when I looked at the table I didn't realise they are 4th in the league....can't be any migs to be in that position imo so I don't think it'll be easy n we may well struggle, here's I hoping I'm wrong 😉

They seem to be a real Jekyll & Hyde team. Greats wins away at Millwall and at home to Boro, But beaten 4-0 at Rotherham and 3-0 at home to Sunderland. So let's hope we can carry on what the other promoted teams have done to them. We are on a run of two tough away wins ourselves and I just fancy us for tomorrow. Coupled with their abysmal record up North. I seem to remember we had a similar spell where we couldn't win for toffee in London.

Regardless of their away form, (and apparently their record against teams northerly of where the word "the" ceases to be pronounced), Reading are in 4th spot, and won't be coming to the DW to be on th' end of a trouncing.

Here's a very good little write up ... it's from Steve Halliwell on the FB page Boulevard of Broken Dreams ... (an excellent page, where abuse rarely exists, and is jumped on immediately if it happens).

Don't get me wrong it is nice to dream, however talking to fellow Latics fan's and supporters of other clubs, it does seem expectations are running extremely high regarding our club.
After the Burnley defeat it was all doom & gloom, the backlash from the keyboard experts was astonishingly hard.
I tend not to take their views on board as it is the same contingent who go over the top when we do win proclaiming Premiership football next season.
On both counts, our away form and travelling support see's us in great position to strike for a play off place.
Getting The DW to become a fortress should be our next goal and we can all enjoy the season.
Some say mid-table will do this campaign, no doubt the vast majority will agree but what if ..... ?
What if we do manage to arrive in the greed league ? the online brigade will be clamouring for big signings and Champions League nights no doubt.
The very same people will be after Liam to be sacked if we just escape relegation or actually go back down.
Folk can't seem to differentiate between reaching for the stars and dreaming to being all doom and gloom.
To much knee-jerk reactions from match to match let alone week to week or month to month.
Most teams will have played ten league games come five o'clock tomorrow and the standings in the table usually give a reasonable prediction how it will all unfold.
The World Cup shutdown may or may not change matters, only time will tell but let's just enjoy our football and take delight in our home town club.

Joint worst home record in the division, no clean sheet since the opening day and lining up against Lucas Joao and Andy Carroll. I don't think we'll be trouncing anyone on Saturday. They are due a draw and we love a home draw.

1-1

Sunderland scored three fabulous goals against them midweek, but each of them relied on a lot of pace out wide and quick incisive passing in midfield …not sure we can bring those qualities to bear,…but… confidence must be soaring and I’m sure we’ll find a way to score goals and win.
Lucas Joao always worries me, just hope its not his day and that Andy Carroll gets (yet another) twinge/twist or strain … he often does … which is a real pity as he could have been a great player (fricknin left foot as well as his aerial prowess)

Just got to find a way to win at home. Draws are fine away, but you'll only get so far in the Championship drawing every home game with the occasional defeat thrown in. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no changes from midweek, with maybe Amos back in if he's recovered from his back spasms.

Think people are wrong to right off Reading, regardless of their away record. Joao/Carroll/Ince/Long/Meite/Hoilett might well be the most experienced attacking corps in the Championship, with probably around 700-800 appearances in the top two divisions between them.

We've one of the least experienced squads at this level by comparison so it'll be interesting to see how things play out. We stood up well enough against West Brom, Bristol City and Preston who know how to get it done in this league but if we're messing around at the start like was the case vs Burnley their veteran attack will slice us apart.

Looking at their form this season, they've been very good at home but struggled away with 1 win and 3 loses. Their one win was a very respectable win at Millwall, but they conceded 3 goals against both Rothermham and Sunderland who you'd not be expecting to thump anyone and 4 against Sheffield United which is more understandable.

There is a clear pattern that in every game they scored first they've won and every game they conceded first they lost. So it appears the first goal is going to be crucial.

Look at their team they have experience, pace and power all over the park,. Joao is the obvious stand out threat that everyone knows, despite a terrible spell at Stoke Tom Ince has the ability and a young lad called Tyrese Fornah who's on loan from Forest at the moment looked a real threat with his trickery and dribbling skills in some of their highlights. You can look at the rest of their squad and despite their FFP restrictions they've got a very decent side and looking at clips of them they looked dangerous on the counter.

I don't think we can go into this game expecting to win, but we also shouldn't go into this game with any fear. Hopefully we'll carry over some of the positive things we saw against Huddersfield - I'd love to see Broadhead and Wyke start but i think we'll go with the same starting 11 and look to bring them on later in the game.

Darikwa back in …Nyambe not even on the bench , must be injured….he did go down for a while at the start of added time on Tuesday ?

Jones a bit unlucky to lose his spot on the back of his display

We had the ball more which is a much better improvement, but we’re so negative at home, playing with that lack of urgency. I imagine it will take a conceded goal to kick them in gear again.