Who will stay who will go | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

Shacks is staying i hear....nudge,nudge?

That would be something if he is- heard for most of the season about his plans to move with his wife to the states.

He will be 36 in May- possibly one more season if he stays but have to wait and see.

My money (if I was to bet)

Leavers
Shackell
Andrade
Rowe
McCartan
Gilks
Rhead

Stayers
O'Hare
Akinde
Toffolo
Pett
Vickers
Eardley
Bostwick
Frecks
O'Connor
Anderson

Thats about the main 15 we have used

Just my opinion- no science!

With no insider knowledge at all my best guesses are as follows

Stayers as contracted
Smith Eardley Bostwick Bolger Toffolo Frecklington Anderson Pett
Akinde Chapman

Likely to be offered a contract and stay
Vickers O Connor Shackell ( though the USA rumours rumble) Gilks
Habergham ( probably an initial 6 month deal to assess his injury)

Loanees who will join on permanent deals
O Hara McCartan

Leavers
Wilson Rhead ( unless he is offered a player/coach deal )
Andrade ( As I expect a too good to turn down offer from a Championship team though I would be delighted if he stayed )

Loanees to return to parent clubs
Rowe ( more due to Ipswich clearing out their expensive players)
Roberts Angol Brown

With no insider knowledge at all my best guesses are as follows

Stayers as contracted
Smith Eardley Bostwick Bolger Toffolo Frecklington Anderson Pett
Akinde Chapman

Likely to be offered a contract and stay
Vickers O Connor Shackell ( though the USA rumours rumble) Gilks
Habergham ( probably an initial 6 month deal to assess his injury)

Loanees who will join on permanent deals
O Hara McCartan

Leavers
Wilson Rhead ( unless he is offered a player/coach deal )
Andrade ( As I expect a too good to turn down offer from a Championship team though I would be delighted if he stayed )

Loanees to return to parent clubs
Rowe ( more due to Ipswich clearing out their expensive players)
Roberts Angol Brown

Not sure we will have 3 keepers.. maybe Smith on a year long loan.

You have to look at a kind of similar model to that of Peterborough/Rotherham and previously Scunthorpe in the past.

You never want to sell your best players but each of these clubs have sold and then recruited well on the back of a decent transfer fee. People might frown at Peterborough and they do seem to recruit heavily however their player sales over the past 5-10 years has generated millions.

You have to look at a kind of similar model to that of Peterborough/Rotherham and previously Scunthorpe in the past.

You never want to sell your best players but each of these clubs have sold and then recruited well on the back of a decent transfer fee. People might frown at Peterborough and they do seem to recruit heavily however their player sales over the past 5-10 years has generated millions.

It's such a vicious circle- agree the Peterborough model particularly has generated millions for PUFC but they remain stubbornly stuck in L1.

A new set of challenges are now here with L1

I think of those under contract only one we will look to move on is Wilson. Think he will want to go as well. Obviously there are a few who might attract bids with Andrade the obvious one, but think they will have to be decent fees or I expect us to keep our best players.

Out of contract:
O’Connor - to be offered another year. Am I right in thinking there is an extension we can trigger in his contract?
Shack - give him whatever he wants!
Gilks - offer a 2 year deal.
Vickers - think it depends what we do with Smith. Can’t see us keeping both, wouldn’t surprise me if we keep Vickers and loan Smith out.
Habergham - obviously a lot depends on his injuries, but think whatever happens we will make sure he is looked after financially.

Loanees:
Sign O’Hara - hopefully something is in writing, don’t want Posh playing silly.
Think we will sign one of Rowe or McCartan, be interesting to see what impact Ipswich and Bradford being relegated has.
Don’t expect us to sign any of the others, but never know. For example DC might really like Brown but just doesn’t want to drop Eards, guess it will depend on what he and Nicky have seen in training.

I don’t think the squad will change as much as when we got promoted to League 2. Think we will see about 6/7 in.

It's such a vicious circle- agree the Peterborough model particularly has generated millions for PUFC but they remain stubbornly stuck in L1.

A new set of challenges are now here with L1

Absolutely and our expectations have to become realistic, it just shows how difficult it is to reach the Championship. What we need is to try and become is a team that can regularly challenge the top 7 and try and flirt with the League above.

Hope all the key players stay and especially that we get O'Hara signed.

But who would have thought that nearly every player who won us the title 2 years ago would have gone already? Only Rheady still actually playing (and he's the only pre-Cowley player too...Rheady still with us in Premier League??!!!).

Luton Town's recent financial results:

2015: -1,509,203
2016: -867,232
2017: -2,007,554
2018: -1,372,618

Well those are not unreasonable if that gets them into the Championship and the large jump in income that results. Providing they don't also have a large jump in spending and hold on in Championship for a few seasons at least, they may well come out ahead overall.

Well those are not unreasonable if that gets them into the Championship and the large jump in income that results. Providing they don't also have a large jump in spending and hold on in Championship for a few seasons at least, they may well come out ahead overall.

Perhaps, though it just mean their losses in the Championship will increase if they attempt to stay there.

Keep - Gilks, Smith, Eardley, Bolger, Bostwick, Toffolo, Habergham, O'Hara, Frecklington, Chapman, Pett, O'Connor, Anderson, McCartan, Rowe, Andrade, Akinde, Rhead

Wish list - Shackell

Release/Don't extend loans - Vickers, Brown, Wilson, Roberts, Angol