Who will stay who will go | Page 9 | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

Thing is, the frequent injuries aren’t a surprise...he’s had a good career, but always had injuries. Sentimentality aside, I’d argue he’s been one of the worst Cowley era signings if you factor in his undoubtedly large wages.
I wouldn't say that. Had the experience and nerve to stick away the penalty that took us to a very lucrative Wembley final. This year was a key player during our most productive and stellar start to the season and for whatever reason we have not looked as effective in an attacking sense since he was pole axed at Vale. Where his record is skewed is that it took him a while to adapt to our more direct style being employed last season and undoubtedly he has struggled to come back from Vale. One of the worst signings even allowing for the cost? Not in my book.

Also he is contracted for another year and with his quality and experience he could do a very good job coming off the bench and able to go flat out for 20 minutes next season. Short spells like that theoretically should make it easier to manage his injury whilst aiding recovery.

I wouldn't say that. Had the experience and nerve to stick away the penalty that took us to a very lucrative Wembley final. This year was a key player during our most productive and stellar start to the season and for whatever reason we have not looked as effective in an attacking sense since he was pole axed at Vale. Where his record is skewed is that it took him a while to adapt to our more direct style being employed last season and undoubtedly he has struggled to come back from Vale. One of the worst signings even allowing for the cost? Not in my book.

Also he is contracted for another year and with his quality and experience he could do a very good job coming off the bench and able to go flat out for 20 minutes next season. Short spells like that theoretically should make it easier to manage his injury whilst aiding recovery.

For one of our highest earners I’d be wanting more than 20 minutes a week, unless of course he’d accept his wages on a pro rata basis. Besides, it seems he got his latest injury from sitting on the bench, which doesn’t bode well:p

The squad size really needs to be 22.

24 is too big
This may be controversial but i think we need a slightly bigger squad. I know we seem to kick on in the 2nd half of the season (of the last 3) but we do seem to struggle in the last 3/4 games of each of those seasons. The players are looking leggy and maybe another 4 or 5 in key positions are needed, especially in league 1.

I'll put my tin hat on .............UTI !

Yes but he is breaking down from different injuries while not even playing. Don't get me wrong, I think he's still got something to offer and, given he's one of our highest paid players I expect him to offer it, but I would not want to be Danny going into a League One campaign with a highly injury prone 33-year-old as a core part of the team, because he won't be because he can't be.

And he hasn't been and never was our attacking force this season, often dropping far deeper than his partner because, through no fault of his own, he hasn't got the legs of a 23-year-old box-to-box midfielder anymore.

Add to this Michael O'Connor, and Danny has two 30+ midfielders - bloody good midfielders on their day - who cannot however last a game, never mind every game. Unless we're stockpiling ageing midfielders I would expect Danny knows this is a problem he will need to address.

If someone was crazy enough to take over Freck's contract, I'd be sad to see him go but I would definitely say it was a good move that would free up wages and a squad spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the main difference between League One and Two isn't the quality but the depth. We'll need a squad of 23 ready to play rather than a squad of 15 ready to play with 8 others at a push.

I think GK & CM are the positions we've got this (although I'd love Habergham to have the chance to prove we have it at LB too)

I think pett will stay and be in his element next year and the same with o'hara

It may be his age but O'Hara has an error or two in him, which will cause us more problems next season than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be controversial but i think we need a slightly bigger squad. I know we seem to kick on in the 2nd half of the season (of the last 3) but we do seem to struggle in the last 3/4 games of each of those seasons. The players are looking leggy and maybe another 4 or 5 in key positions are needed, especially in league 1.

I'll put my tin hat on .............UTI !
How do you come to the conclusion we struggle in last 3 or 4 games of each season. Won 2 drew 2 in NL and we have only played one of this seasons last four. We have Wilson, Bolger, Brown, Roberts, Rhead and Angol champing at the bit for a game. O’Connor has had a good rest etc etc Tomorrow is the only time in the last phase of games that is not Saturday to Saturday. Are you saying that the players we have can’t manage to play one game a week?

For me the main difference between League One and Two isn't the quality but the depth. We'll need a squad of 23 ready to play rather than a squad of 15 ready to play with 8 others at a push.

I think GK & CM are the positions we've got this (although I'd love Habergham to have the chance to prove we have it at LB too)

Nah. If that was the case notts county would have walked league two this year.

Do you mean depth or numbers? Depth is a quality issue too. League One is very much an issue of quality.

Looking at current contracts and who I think we will keep/let go:
Expiring June 2019
Jason Shackell-offer new contract but think he will move to USA
Mark O'Hara-offer 2 year deal
Michael Bostwick-as O'Hara
James Wilson-offer 1 year deal but will he be happy acting as cover ?
Michael O'Connor-offer 2 year deal
Lee Angol-back to parent club
Danny Rowe-offer 2 year deal but suspect he will be in Ipswich's plans
Jordan Roberts-back to parent club
Sam Habergham-move on
Josh Vickers-move on (both him and Habergham have suffered too much with injury)
Matt Rhead-my heart says offer him a 1 year deal but can see him moving on
Matt Ghilks-offer 2 year deal as main keeper
Shay Mccarten-offer 2 year deal

Still under contract
I can see them all at Sincil Bank in August. Offers will come in for Andrade and Anderson but I thi k we will persuade them to stay. Ellis will go out on loan again until Christmas.

My personal belief is that if we can keep Shackell, Rowe, Anderson and Shackell, we will try and recruit a versatile defender, attacking midfielder and another forward. These are just personal opinions!

Expiring June 2019
Sam Habergham-move on
Josh Vickers-move on (both him and Habergham have suffered too much with injury)

Still under contract
I can see them all at Sincil Bank in August. Offers will come in for Andrade and Anderson but I thi k we will persuade them to stay. Ellis will go out on loan again until Christmas.

My personal belief is that if we can keep Shackell, Rowe, Anderson and Shackell, we will try and recruit a versatile defender, attacking midfielder and another forward. These are just personal opinions!
We only need one Shackell:LOL:. Just kidding, do you mean McCarten? I agree with your post though.:clap:

Didn't Hortin say something after the game that Shackell was going to get a one year contract extension? So hope I didn't mishear that. Equally sure Rheady said he'd love to stay another year.

Didn't Hortin say something after the game that Shackell was going to get a one year contract extension? So hope I didn't mishear that. Equally sure Rheady said he'd love to stay another year.

Both Hortin and Thommo said during the game that they had heard on the grapevine that Shackell was staying

Rhead said he would like to stay - knocking on the door for new deal
BBC said Shackell staying
Rowe said would be open to a return however he believes Ipswich want him back over the summer (not the same as playing next season!)
O'Hara said fee is all agreed he just hopes it completes

Expiring June 2019
Sam Habergham-move on
Bostwick and Wilson are under contract until June 2020.