Who next? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Who next?

Aaaaagh. Last went to Newport in 1973. Lost 5 1. Shithole.

One of only 3 places I've been to that I think are worse than Gillingham.
They didn't play at Rodney Parade in those days. I went with five in an Anglia to Newport in 63-64 to see us win 1 - 0 and clinch the Championship

Was dreading the prospect of long-awaited meet up with Fulham- with the attendant outbreak of WW3 and inevitable row over policing costs- but that's thankfully not going to happen now they have been knocked out by Oldham.

You just know that it will be anti-climax, and we'll be drawn away to any one of Barnet, Woking or Newport!!

Liverpool home for the fun or Man U or City away for the money

Man United away would be good- guaranteed at least 6,200 tickets if they give the full upper tier of one end to away fans (as they tend to do for Cup games) and we get the chance to visit what I regard as probably the best football stadium in the country, with the possible exception of Celtic Park.

Well who's left.
Man United
Man City
Liverpool
Everton
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
West Ham
Watford
Brighton
Palace
Burnley
Middlesbrough
West Bromwich
Swansea
QPR
Brentford
Bolton
Bristol City
Millwall
Portsmouth
Doncaster
Accrington Stanley
Wimbledon
Oldham
Newport
Barnet
Blackburn or Newcastle
Wolves or Liverpool
Luton or Sheffield Wednesday
Stoke or Shrewsbury
Southampton or Derby
Of those 12 are fairly local games so there is a fair chance of the game being fairly local events if it is a away draw.
I do fancy a away trip but not on a Sunday ideally as work commitments that night will make any long trip impossible. I would like us to have a fighting chance .So that possibly rules out about 5 or 6 teams at least .Of the rest away local and not likely to be picked for a Sunday.
Brighton ,West Ham ,Watford and Palace are the Premier league sides I would say were beatable away with a outstanding performance. Palace probably having the most intimidating atmosphere. So on that basis of would be happy with any of the other three if we are away .Or even Burnley as it is unlikely to be on TV and should be a winnable fixture.
Any of the big guns would be great to get interest but the likelihood of a heavy defeat would mean it would unlikely to bring in any new fans long term.
New fans could even be the result of the Cardiff win as long as we can follow it up at Priestfield. So I am not against a home tie .Even one of the bigger fish could be unsettled at Priestfield so my choice would perhaps be Man United or Everton. But any Premier league victory would be another great occasion that could get a few old and new faces hooked .

Was dreading the prospect of long-awaited meet up with Fulham- with the attendant outbreak of WW3 and inevitable row over policing costs- but that's thankfully not going to happen now they have been knocked out by Oldham.

You just know that it will be anti-climax, and we'll be drawn away to any one of Barnet, Woking or Newport!!
I am sure Woking would be delighted to draw us home or away as they went out .

Through truly crap planning I've just realised I am 2,000 miles away on the 4th round weekend!
Selfishly I am now praying for a crap away draw.
May be able to use my Cardiff/ Hartlepool tickets to a deserving (loyal) fan if it does turn out we get a plum draw.

I am sure Woking would be delighted to draw us home or away as they went out .

Haha, point taken but you know that the draw will probably land us with an anti-climax similar to when we drew Burnley away in 2004 in the Fourth Round after we beat (then) Premier League Charlton at home.

Palace at home would be good as a probable pick for tv with a potential upset or Liverpool/man Utd or Newcastle away as already have a hotel booked for that weekend, definitely don't want man city as we will be subjected to endless clips of dickov and weaver celebrating in the run up to the game and that's etched into our memories enough

[/QUOTE] Of the rest away local and not likely to be picked for a Sunday.
Brighton ,West Ham ,Watford and Palace are the Premier league sides I would say were beatable away with a outstanding performance. Palace probably having the most intimidating atmosphere. So on that basis of would be happy with any of the other three if we are away .Or even Burnley as it is unlikely to be on TV and should be a winnable fixture.
Any of the big guns would be great to get interest but the likelihood of a heavy defeat would mean it would unlikely to bring in any new fans long term.
New fans could even be the result of the Cardiff win as long as we can follow it up at Priestfield. So I am not against a home tie .Even one of the bigger fish could be unsettled at Priestfield so my choice would perhaps be Man United or Everton. But any Premier league victory would be another great occasion that could get a few old and new faces hooked .[/QUOTE]

I think it would be extraordinarily difficult to beat any Premiership side away from home even with Parker or Eaves on top form, unless they put out their second-strengh XI. Fulham and Cardiff were the exception- two recently promoted teams from the championship, struggling to adapt to their new league (both bottom), and have both recently been dispatched by lower league opponents in the last round (one of those teams being us!). Otherwise, there is a growing gulf in quality and strength-in-depth compared with the football league.

You only need to see how Birmingham -in the top 6 in the Championship- put out a films strength team against mid-ranking West Ham, and conceded within the first three minutes and lost 2-0 to a pedestrian West Ham performance. We'd likely face a hammering were we to face a West Ham, Palace, Newcastle or even Everton away.

Our best hope of another upset is probably to draw a Championship or League One side (QPR away).

Except Portsmouth.

Looking forward to the joy of some when we get Man U away, and then a deluge of grumbling when it's on a Friday or Monday night!

Liverpool for me, we've played all the other big sides in fairly recent history (although only a friendly v Manure) so would make a nice change. Working all that weekend so getting a ticket not an issue.

Newport away. Shite draw for both teams.

I wouldn't be that disappointed with that. We seldom make round 5 (only twice, maybe three times, ever - is that right?) A League Two team (home or away - preferable the former) gives us a great chance of doing that (obviously far from a guarantee with the Gills!) Obviously, I'd sooner Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool etc. home or away, but failing that, I'd take an on paper good chance of progressing - especially as we've already beaten one Prem team. The worst draws for me would be a Championship or good League One club - especially away: i.e. Donny, Pompey, Millwall, Sheff Weds etc. - been there, done it before and will probably lose in front of a poor crowd.