Who is this? | Page 10 | Vital Football

Who is this?

Just confirmed "DEFINITE" Number 28 - Mark Wright. Played for Southampton in a League Cup Round 3 tie v the Millers on 08/11/83. That was part of the George Kerr League Cup run - one of the few positives during his time in charge. We won 2-1 with goals from Mitchell and Rhodes. Mark Wright was captain of England just once.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also checked England captain (once) David Seaman - he never played in a competitive game at Millmoor for any of his clubs....

Also rule out Harry Maguire . Twice England captain, He played for the Blades against the Millers In the JP Trophy, but it was at the Don Valley stadium, not Millmoor. We lost 1-2 (Revell scored)
I would never have believed so many, Mike. I'd probably have suggested around ten if someone had asked. An enjoyable and informative thread.

Preston North End's club historian has confirmed "DEFINITE" number 29 - Sam Allardyce. He played for Preston in a Division Three game against the Millers at Millmoor on 16/01/88. We drew 2-2, Haycock and Andy Williams scored. I had originally thought that I had seen Allardyce playing at Millmoor for Bolton (similar kit), but I was mistaken. I always think of him as being mainly a Bolton player, but he actually played for several clubs and had two spells at Preston.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott Parker came on for Fulham as sub in a 3-3 draw (21/10/14)... at the NYS, NOT Millmoor. That was his only appearance against the Millers in one of our home matches. He can be ruled out now. Also rule out Jordan Henderson... and John Terry

Last edited:
Hull City FC have confirmed "DEFINITE" Number 30. Jack Hill was captain of England eight times and played for Hull City at Millmoor in Division 3 North games on 27/02/32 (Millers won 2-0, scorers Benyon, Nock ) and 11/03/33 (Millers won 3-2, scorers Spicer, Nock, Wright). Hull City were promoted at the end of the 1932/33 season.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruled out - Eric Dier, George Male

Last edited:
Hull City FC have confirmed "DEFINITE" Number 30. Jack Hill was captain of England eight times and played for Hull City at Millmoor in Division 3 North games on 27/02/32 (Millers won 2-0, scorers Benyon, Nock ) and 11/03/33 (Millers won 3-2, scorers Spicer, Nock, Wright). Hull City were promoted at the end of the 1932/33 season.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruled out - Eric Dier, George Male
I was looking at some of our games against Hull City. Their home gate in the 1932-33 season was less than 8000 but after WW2 crowds seem to have increased steadily year on year reaching over 20,000 in late 1940s and over 30,000 in game against us in early 1950s.

Willis Edwards of Chesterfield is another possibility (checking)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruled out Roy Goodall and George Wilson now

Billy Wright probably played against the Millers in the FA Cup for Wolves (Jan 1947), but it was an away tie for us, not at Millmoor, so rule him out.

We seem to have played Wolves quite often in the FA Cup, much more than expected from random chance! Six times , and none were replays. Plus we have played them in the League Cup.

Last edited:
Billy Wright probably played against the Millers in the FA Cup for Wolves (Jan 1947), but it was an away tie for us, not at Millmoor, so rule him out.

We seem to have played Wolves quite often in the FA Cup, much more than expected from random chance! Six times , and none were replays. Plus we have played them in the League Cup.
Yes, the 1968 game sticks in my mind. Jim Storrie scored and Dave Watson kept Derek Dougan quiet. Odd that it was in January as my memory is of a sunny afternoon.

Yes, the 1968 game sticks in my mind. Jim Storrie scored and Dave Watson kept Derek Dougan quiet. Odd that it was in January as my memory is of a sunny afternoon.

I think that was one of my first games with friends and cousins and not our parents.

Our involvement with Wigan reminds me of two occasions - one joyful, the other pretty awful. The joyful was 21 April 2001. I was resigned to the play-offs. Millwall were clear and Reading looked a shoo-in for second place. Then we won at Wigan and Reading drew at home to Walsall and the rest is history. The awful was 31 December 1983. A friend of mine who supported Man Utd was invited by Bobby Charlton to watch Wigan against the Millers and we went together. He went in the box and I stood on the terraces and never got even a glimpse of Sir Bobby. The crowd was small, the game was dire - we lost 2:1 - and it was freezing with ice and snow underfoot.

Last edited:
Was at both of those Wigan games. The 2001 game had two great Millers goals, one each from Kevin Watson and Mark Robins. Think Warney played, but went off injured fairly early in the game (?) . Went there in a mini-bus from the Kingfisher - great day out generally , as well as the match!

The main thing I remember from the other game (at Springfield Park) was lots of mud, and not just on the pitch. I didn't spot Bobby Charlton either.

Although Harry Kane played for Orient, Millwall, Norwich C. and Leicester C. on loan, they never played the Millers during those periods - so he is ruled out.

Just tracked down a match that I was at when Johnny Haynes played at Millmoor .
It was Millers v Fulham Division 3 game on18/10/69. (0-0 draw) I was pretty sure that I had seen him play, but couldn't find the details (Too young to have seen the Roy Lambert early career game v Fulham)

Last edited: