Who is this? | Page 9 | Vital Football

Who is this?

Also - there is only one possible game left in which Howard Wilkinson could have played at Millmoor . He definitely didn't play in the game in April 1971. Possibly played on 25/11/69 . Currently checking.

Last edited:
Sad to see Oldham Athletic drop out of the league. Always had a soft spot for them. In 1970-71 there was a short-lived competition which I remember as the Fair Play League but think it was officially the Ford Sporting League. Clubs got monthly prize money based on goals scored and lack of yellow/red cards. That season I think Oldham won it every single month. They scored 88 goals and over the whole season had only 4 bookings and no sendings off. Remarkable. Hard to believe they've been in First Division and Mark Hughes scored a worldy for Man Utd to stop them getting (I think?) to FA Cup Final.

They have had spells of success which were better than the Millers have achieved. Wouldn't want to swap with them now though!

Also - there is only one possible game left in which Howard Wilkinson could have played at Millmoor . He definitely didn't play in the game in April 1971. Possibly played on 25/11/69 . Currently checking.

Wasn't he U21 England Manager when they played at Millmoor? Will that count?

Can't really count that. What season did England U-21 play at Millmoor? (I don't recall that game). There have been some England games at the NYS, men's and women's teams, that I have been to.

It would be around 1997 or '98. Michael Owen was sent-off and he threw his boots in temper and I'm sure they hit Howard Wilkinson. Might not have been U21, could have been U18 or U17.

Interesting - I don't remember that one! Thanks for the information.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Just looking at Millers v Grimsby Town programme 18/11/63. Graham Taylor is in the Mariners line-up in the programme. Trying to check if he actually played.

Just been confirmed - "DEFINITE" Number 24 - Graham Taylor played for Grimsby Town at Millmoor on 18/11/63, in a Division 2 game which the Millers won 1-0. Albert Bennett scored.

Last edited:
Re Michael Owen - the original question said "For or against the Millers", so international games don't count. A near miss though, Caz!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Re Howard Wilkinson - l checked with Brighton & HA FC. Doesn't look like he ever played at Millmoor, so rule him out.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Rule out Chris Smalling too (England captain just once).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just found "DEFINITE" Number 25 though - Martin Keown. He played for Leicester City in a League Cup tie at Millmoor on 11/09/04. We lost 0-2. He only played for the Foxes for one season after leaving Arsenal, and he captained England just once.

Last edited:
"DEFINITE" Number 26 - Blackburn Rovers FC have confirmed that Ronnie Clayton played against the Millers in a League Cup Round 5 tie at Millmoor on 06/02/62. We lost 0-1.
------------------------------------------
Not found anything on Phil Neal yet

"DEFINITE" Number 26 - Blackburn Rovers FC have confirmed that Ronnie Clayton played against the Millers in a League Cup Round 5 tie at Millmoor on 06/02/62. We lost 0-1.
------------------------------------------
Not found anything on Phil Neal yet
Well done!

Just confirmed Phil Neal as "DEFINITE" Number 27. I was at the match - just found the programme , but didn't remember him playing ! Division Three game, Millers v Bolton Wanderers, (18/01/86). We won 4-0 , with goals from Tynan 2, Emerson and Trusson. Interestingly, Sam Allardyce is in the Bolton team picture in the programme, but didn't play that day. The Trotters line-up back then included Steve Thompson and Asa Hartford too.
Phil Neal captained England just once.

Think that's 8 England managers and 19 different captains now.

Last edited:
Just confirmed "DEFINITE" Number 28 - Mark Wright. Played for Southampton in a League Cup Round 3 tie v the Millers on 08/11/83. That was part of the George Kerr League Cup run - one of the few positives during his time in charge. We won 2-1 with goals from Mitchell and Rhodes. Mark Wright was captain of England just once.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also checked England captain (once) David Seaman - he never played in a competitive game at Millmoor for any of his clubs....

Also rule out Harry Maguire . Twice England captain, He played for the Blades against the Millers In the JP Trophy, but it was at the Don Valley stadium, not Millmoor. We lost 1-2 (Revell scored)

Last edited:
I can't remember if David Seaman played for Rotherham schoolboys when Bob Earnshaw was in charge as they played at Millmoor.

But it wouldn't have been a competitive game anyway.

I remember Mick, the landlord of the Woodman pub in Masbro', telling me that they had lined him up to sign for their pub team , but then they couldn't register him to play because he was too young at the time. Some of David's relatives used to be regulars at the Woodman.

Last edited:
The Woodman was a Stones pub, just a few yards from the New Inn and the Midland, near the entrance to the Masbro' bus garage. It later became a cafe. Don't know if that is even still open.

Many happy memoriries of going in there.

Last edited:
The Woodman was a Stones pub, just a few yards from the New Inn and the Midland, near the entrance to the Masbro' bus garage. It later became a cafe. Don't know if that is even still open.

Many happy memoriries of going in there.
Just had a look. Cafe still seems to be going. Saw photo of pub on lost pubs site - looks familiar but then it looks like lots of pubs!