Who does everyone want then? | Vital Football

Who does everyone want then?

PapaBurgundy

Vital Youth Team
Powell?
Allen?
Solano?
Keep Taylor?

Any others? Brian McDermott never got mother job, could be worth a shout? Owen Coyle close to taking the Ross Counth job. Granted he's Scottish, but it just shows you that out of work managers are willing to take jobs, however small the club / budget.

Powell for me as I said before pennocks appointment .. done wonders in difficult times at Charlton ...about time we went fir quality rather than cheap .... McDermott is a half decent shout & should be on interview list imho

Banter boy - 27/9/2017 18:01

Powell for me as I said before pennocks appointment .. done wonders in difficult times at Charlton ...about time we went fir quality rather than cheap .... McDermott is a half decent shout & should be on interview list imho

silliness to one side; BB you are probably right, either would probably have a good stint with a bit of backing.

Every time this job comes up I would love to see Colin get it. Will never happen and I know many on here hate him but he's been one of the most consistent managers outside of the PL.
Wouldn't take any nonsense from PS either so probably wouldn't last 5 minutes but it would be fun and he'd get results.

PapaBurgundy - 27/9/2017 18:33

Currently in employment with top of the league Cardiff. What's the point in suggesting him?

Did I suggest him? The thread is titled "who does everyone want then?" and that's who I want.

Have another read mate, I also said it would never happen.

Geez :83:

Yes, I admit that I actually like him. Like Hess, love him on your side, hate him for the oppo.

When I was involved in Capital Gills 30 years ago (fanzine) we slagged off David Crown only to sign hom weeks later and we loved him.

Re the OP, Chris Powell please.

Absolutely none of the old guard thanks.

However, although I don't want Taylor, did the team look a bit more organised v Scunny ( shamefully I bottled it)? I totally accept that we can't expect much with our budget/squad but I still believe a competent manager can keep us up.

I thought Chris Powell was still on Derby County's payroll but it seems he left in March so is available.
The profile on his personal website reads as if he is touting himself for another job:
http://www.chrispowellfootball.com/

As others have said, he did a great job with limited resources at Charlton and also did OK at Huddersfield. He would be my number one choice if he was interested. Remember Sir Keith was a Charlton legend before arriving at Priestfield.

Nobby_66 - 27/9/2017 18:50

PapaBurgundy - 27/9/2017 18:33

Currently in employment with top of the league Cardiff. What's the point in suggesting him?

Did I suggest him? The thread is titled "who does everyone want then?" and that's who I want.

Have another read mate, I also said it would never happen.

Geez :83:

Yes who you want, but its got to be realistic. Otherwise I'd have said Guardiola.

Anyway, seems like Chris Powell is the overwhelming choice amongst fans. Would love Scally to get him.

I've heard the name Dickie Dosh mentioned. Left Norwich's board of director's last month stating he wants a final stab at management.

Yes Powell seems to fit the bill on most counts. Failing that, I'd like Nigel Adkins, who got Southampton and Scunthorpe out of this division. Steve Cotterill, but he might be out of our price range.

Let's hope it's someone with no previous connection to Gillingham FC, also someone who has experience of this league and has plenty of contacts in football.......please!

Who's been putting money on Shaun Derry? When I looked on SkyBet a little while ago, he's the favourite.

I don't really know enough about realistic options but I wouldn't mind Powell. Would our previous McCammon case have an impact on that? Really hope it wouldn't but would Powell want to manage a club that's been through a racism case?

Richard Money not a bad call .Another few names I would like to throw in the mix are both working Nathan Jones of Luton and John Coleman of Accrington .

I'm now thinking with a couple of results nothing will happen this side of Christmas. It's the cheaper option and the players are settled.
Chris Hope in Jan would not be too bad but if we are reasonably clear of the relegation places then Taylor/ Lovell might see us through to end of season.

NathanH_GFC - 27/9/2017 20:00

I don't really know enough about realistic options but I wouldn't mind Powell. Would our previous McCammon case have an impact on that? Really hope it wouldn't but would Powell want to manage a club that's been through a racism case?

Would Glash, JET, Nouble, Jackson, Garmston, Zakuani, List and Mbo want to sign for a club that has been through a racism case?

Actually, if Powell does come in, his position would be strong as if we then had genuine cause to sack him he could use the race card like McCammon did.

Vambogills - 27/9/2017 20:12

I'm now thinking with a couple of results nothing will happen this side of Christmas. It's the cheaper option and the players are settled.
Chris Hope in Jan would not be too bad but if we are reasonably clear of the relegation places then Taylor/ Lovell might see us through to end of season.
I have to ask why Chris Hope great guy Gills legend without a doubt .But manager?I met him a few years ago now I think he said he was coaching kids or something of that kind .Too my knowledge he has never managed at any level .