Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most?

My memory of Steve Cammack is, the Murph (in his own unique style) criminally played him out of position when he did play and more often than not he obviously looked anonymous.

Yes - played him wide on the right. Did the same with Ross Jack whose best spell with the club was when he partnered John Fashanu up front.

Nolan Keeley was signed as a midfielder from Scunthorpe at the age of 28 in January 1980 for a fee of £7,000. City were 16th in Division Four at the time. He partnered George Shipley in midfield for the next 14 games scoring 3 goals before getting injured by which time City had risen to 7th place. He returned for the last 3 games of the season, filling in at left back for Phil Neale who had gone off to the cricket.

In the 1980/81 promotion season Keeley played in every league and cup game at left back, with Phil Neale playing in midfield, up to 7th March when he got injured. That was a total of 41 games. Due to his injury he never appeared in the first team again so we'll never know what would happened otherwise. It was two years after his being injured that he was released and went on to spend time with non-league clubs in East Anglia.
Well he obviously made little impression on me !

I think of some of the players who were very good in their own right but were youngsters or reserves at times when the manager always picked the best 11 that were fit so they were never going to displace the first teamers in periods when we had some of our best players in living memory available. Gilbert, Cammack, Biggins to name three. The likes of Huckerby and Fashanu very quickly moved onto bigger clubs before we saw anything like their potential. Sam Clucas never got the chance to flatter or deceive even when we had at best bang average players on the books.

Depends if you separate effort from ability i.e they put the effort in to the best of their ability otherwise you can include Gijsbert Bos, Steve Brown, Mardenborough and Green and that is unfair.

If you just say "should have been better" then Carayol, Asamoah, Tynan, Allon and basically a load of others whose names we cannot even recall if it wasn't for the hype of the signing!