Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Which player for the Imps flattered to deceive the most?

Albert Jarrett, he and Carayol started well, pace, direct and a reasonable delivery but just didn't kick on and have that consistency.

When I see the phrase "flattered to deceive" , the player that always pops into my head is David Puttnam. I know some will disagree , and it's not to say he was a bad player. But when he first signed from Leicester, after a few games I thought we'd signed the new Cruyff. Then followed 4+ seasons of getting on the edge of my seat when he received the ball , to then immediately settling back into my seat as he ballooned the cross too far/high or failed to beat his man.

Nolan Keeley did all right. He was the regular left back in the 1980/81 promotion side until getting injured in the March.
Well he went from 37 goals in 259 appearances, to 52 apps for us and then into non-league so definitely on the way down.
My memory says Phil Neale was still playing left back?

Not sure that Cammack was a regular starter for us. My memory of him was of being a journeyman who then became a prolific goalscorer when he signed back for Scunthorpe.
27 gls in 84 before signing for us and 83 in 161 after, but we definitely didn't see the best of him then !

Well he went from 37 goals in 259 appearances, to 52 apps for us and then into non-league so definitely on the way down.
My memory says Phil Neale was still playing left back?

Nolan Keeley was signed as a midfielder from Scunthorpe at the age of 28 in January 1980 for a fee of £7,000. City were 16th in Division Four at the time. He partnered George Shipley in midfield for the next 14 games scoring 3 goals before getting injured by which time City had risen to 7th place. He returned for the last 3 games of the season, filling in at left back for Phil Neale who had gone off to the cricket.

In the 1980/81 promotion season Keeley played in every league and cup game at left back, with Phil Neale playing in midfield, up to 7th March when he got injured. That was a total of 41 games. Due to his injury he never appeared in the first team again so we'll never know what would happened otherwise. It was two years after his being injured that he was released and went on to spend time with non-league clubs in East Anglia.

Nolan Keeley was signed as a midfielder from Scunthorpe at the age of 28 in January 1980 for a fee of £7,000. City were 16th in Division Four at the time. He partnered George Shipley in midfield for the next 14 games scoring 3 goals before getting injured by which time City had risen to 7th place. He returned for the last 3 games of the season, filling in at left back for Phil Neale who had gone off to the cricket.

In the 1980/81 promotion season Keeley played in every league and cup game at left back, with Phil Neale playing in midfield, up to 7th March when he got injured. That was a total of 41 games. Due to his injury he never appeared in the first team again so we'll never know what would happened otherwise. It was two years after his being injured that he was released and went on to spend time with non-league clubs in East Anglia.

The last bit about Keeley sounds very Habergham-esque.

Ollie Ryan - scored for fun for the reserves but couldn't hit a barn door for the first team
Never had the confidence in 1st team. Injury time at Wrexham, 1-0 up (Yeo!!) KA back after gardening leave episode, Ryan as sub had a chance which he hit nicely but keeper tipped onto post. Keates and Kerr tried and failed keep ball at the resultant corner, Wrexham broke and equalised with pretty well the last kick of the match.

I often think Ryan's career was defined in those 60 seconds, scored and he may have kicked on.

Billy Knott. Should have been a top player for us, but it just never seemed to click for him.
As above, if Knott is in there then perhaps Jack Payne. McCartan to a point?

Common denominator being they're '10's', which is a difficult position to play and relies fairly heavily on good service.

Possibly David Beavon takes some beating,. A £25,000 signing from Notts County in 1982 by the normally astute Colin Murphy-it just didn't work out.

He signed his fair share of clunkers, I give you Gordon Mair he came with much promise/fanfare from Notts. The only thing I can recall about him, was his wife had a broad Glaswegian accent and one had to listen very carefully to understand what she was saying. However, amazingly she managed to get a gob on the switch board at St John's hospital. Go figure!

Last edited:
Not sure that Cammack was a regular starter for us. My memory of him was of being a journeyman who then became a prolific goalscorer when he signed back for Scunthorpe.

My memory of Steve Cammack is, the Murph (in his own unique style) criminally played him out of position when he did play and more often than not he obviously looked anonymous.

Last edited: