When will fans be able to go back? When will you go back? | Page 2 | Vital Football

When will fans be able to go back? When will you go back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it's going to be a cluster...

And as you say, there are those at all clubs who won't follow it to some degree, so we'll quite possibly end up letting people back, then going back to behind closed doors for a fortnight, to then open back up and so on.

Even if clubs can control the bottleneck at the turnstiles....what about on the roads? What about the pubs, or will they have to close on matchdays?

I would think that it would have to be straight in and nothing open on the concourse.

Even then though, especially for Prem ground size, there would still be decent queuing in the streets, pubs would be rammed etc etc.

The ground may be safe, but I can't see how the lead up would be.

Regarding season tickets, it would be pointless for me to buy one, living as I do in Ireland (yes, I am aware there are those who fly over for every home game but I'm a bit older and less energetic than I used to be).
It might not, however, be pointless for me (and others) to buy an online season ticket if such a thing were introduced, especially as attendances are likely to be curtailed for at least a few months.
Good idea BBJ. I live in Cornwall and although I do get up for a fair few games I must accept its not going to be the same next season and as much as I love going to games, with reduced attendances its not going to happen.

Even then though, especially for Prem ground size, there would still be decent queuing in the streets, pubs would be rammed etc etc.

The ground may be safe, but I can't see how the lead up would be.

No. I can't. Pubs , shops and what sport has had spectators at are all operating one way systems as well , so organising that with the numbers potentially involved would be fun.

No. I can't. Pubs , shops and what sport has had spectators at are all operating one way systems as well , so organising that with the numbers potentially involved would be fun.

Yeah, even down to burger vans etc and that 'side' of the business. The authorities can't just think of stadiums in isolation. Even if VP could operate one way systems..., as was said above, what about someone needing a toilet trip and breaking the 1 metre rule (not a problem) but what if 70% of the ground go for a piss at the same time at half time....enforce the 'hold it in' rule?

Many valid points here, great discussion. For me one of the key issues is managing departure. Ok many start leaving 10 minutes before the end now ( why bother attending at all?) but if they stagger leaving what happens at night matches for those of us with a 2 hour journey home?

the online season ticket or basic membership of some sort to retain season ticket ‘Rights’ sounds like a great idea, especially for we older gits (70 next birthday) who have maybe added concerns.

Many valid points here, great discussion. For me one of the key issues is managing departure. Ok many start leaving 10 minutes before the end now ( why bother attending at all?) but if they stagger leaving what happens at night matches for those of us with a 2 hour journey home?

the online season ticket or basic membership of some sort to retain season ticket ‘Rights’ sounds like a great idea, especially for we older gits (70 next birthday) who have maybe added concerns.

Lots of issues but most Villa fans live nowhere near Villa park, so perhaps they'd also have to limit it to, People with B postcodes or people who live within a certain area to stop people travelling from all over the country.

People have to accept things just as I have to accept I hadn't been to enough away games to qualify for away tickets, is it right that the same 3000 people keep getting away tickets and there is no way in, perhaps not but it rewards loyalty and I accept it, anyone that committed to the cause deserves the first crack.
You could have it age-based, only people under 40 as they are least likely to die but they are more likely to spread it due to the fact they feel immune.

I think people who currently have ST's will have the right to renew when it gets back to normal, what happens in the meantime to "your" seat will be anyone's guess

Even with a full house, some are still missing out.

They trialled 1,000 at Edgbaston and I think they’re trialling again with about 2,500, sounds like similar numbers to coventry home games in small heath so they might as well run a football trial there.

Yup, as JF says matchday income is far more relevant lower down the pyramid, no PL club in reality should be in much trouble (maybe minus newly promoted ones) with the matchday loss. Given the TV money it's small beer.

The club would rather have it obviously, but all in (tickets, merch, food/drink + programmes), it's maybe circa £15m a yr without checking.

And it should come as no real shock, the pilots for having spectators at sport events will now not go ahead following a suspension of lockdown easing.

I just couldn't picture, until this thing is under control (worldwide), that it could be done safely, especially when you think, (not a nice thought I realise!) as we enter winter, this could be more prevalent again and also, we have to combat the normal flu epidemics as well.

I still firmly believe that having football back is better rather than no football until fans can return. It has at least given us something to argue over, obsess about, share in the pains and share in the delights and so on. It isn't the same, but that is the same as so much in life at the moment. So we have to take the best that can be done, and this appears the best that can be done.

More needs to be done, and some of it from the wealth of the big clubs, to help sustain the small clubs who could be ruined with no gate receipts.

I’ve been trying to keep up with how this is developing and, as far as I can see, it appears the Government want capacity limited to 30% when fans are allowed back. It seems there’s some speculation that clubs with more modern grounds,( wider concourses etc.), may be allowed greater capacity. Spurs, Man. City would be allowed more fans while clubs with older, more traditional grounds would be more tightly restricted. Some clubs with older grounds are, apparently expecting to be limited to 20%.
T.V companies want away fans to attend because it enhances the atmosphere but they are reported to want them at pitch level for the benefit of cameras.
This could be pure speculation of course because it’s to be found in a much loved and respected newspaper. (I ain’t saying because they’re not paying me to advertise their name.)

My wife and I both follow 'the rules' related to Covid (as much as we can understand / keep up with them), not so much for ourselves but because it's the thing to do. We don't know if we've had it but wouldn't knowingly want to have passed it to someone else.

That said, we're both of the mind that we'd risk going to Villa Park. I don't see that it would be any worse than going to a supermarket as those are now nothing but a free for all.

We do have a difference of opinion on the point of fans returning, though.

She is beside herself with the thought that there will be tickets made available but that she won't be able to get one. We've had season tickets for the majority of the last 27 years but had a break of a couple of years just before we were relegated, for family reasons. She will make my life a misery if fans return and she can't be one of them.

I'm not that fussed about going myself as I feel like it'll be like going to a season of pre-season matches r.e. the atmosphere and experience.

For the risk versus reward, I don't think there's much to be gained from being at the ground. If we can get tickets though, we will - my ears would thank me for it.

‘Brighton also said season ticket holders and members would be the first to receive tickets for games when fans were allowed to return and they would be decided by a ballot.‘

Surely it should be season ticket holders first not a mix of both? (Comment taken from BBC Sport)

‘Brighton also said season ticket holders and members would be the first to receive tickets for games when fans were allowed to return and they would be decided by a ballot.‘

Surely it should be season ticket holders first not a mix of both? (Comment taken from BBC Sport)
I agree 100% with that statement, but do wonder if there are any legal eagles amongst us if Villa would have to make a certain number of tickets available to the general public.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Season Tickets - priority/seat guarantee
Members - next in line/priority over general public
Public - bottom of the list, no guarantee

Wouldn't have thought so.

Season Tickets - priority/seat guarantee
Members - next in line/priority over general public
Public - bottom of the list, no guarantee
Thank you.
I just though that excepional times and all that, that sports ministers might want an allocation made available just so they can be seen to be doing their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.