What we need most! | Page 2 | Vital Football

What we need most!

You might be right Nick...fine margins make us happy or pissed off it seems.

However our style of play makes us big pretenders.

Liverpool had a blip against Fulham and dropped 2 points then how did they bounce back from that? They scraped and scrapped a win against us then thrashed PaLace......

How did we come back from the blip against Palace? We lost to Liverpool and then to Leicester.

That for me sums up the difference.

In adversity the big clubs pull out results and we do not ....it seems we the supporters are always let down or left badly disappointed.......we still have not lost the SPURSEY label.

Sad but true...its no use saying if Bergjwin or Kane had scored, If Braindead had a brain and did not barge the player, ....it always seems to happen year in year out.....it is not a coincidence it seems to be part of our DNA as a club!

I have just spotted the header Kane put over against Leicester was probably the result of being barged in the back in the 6 yard area. So it's ok to do that but not what Aurier did ?

We have had some tough fixtures recently and Jose adopted a strategy accordingly. We have dropped points narrowly and in some cases unluckily such as Toby own goal and Aurier stupidity. Bergwijn hitting the post and missing a sitter as well as uncharacteristically Harry fluffing a header. A goal being scored with Dier rugby tackled on the deck.
Maybe if the results had gone differently our outlook would not be so dark.
I am trying to put a different slant on it, I dont rule out Jose losing the plot but it may be too soon to write him off.

I'm not writing him off, far from it, he's won too much and is too bright to do that, I'm hoping that he can bring some flexibility to his approach, the kind I'm not seeing now, that's all.

Why?

Because I think we need to take the game to lessor teams and make a more hybrid approach to ones we think might be better than us.

You might be right Nick...fine margins make us happy or pissed off it seems.

However our style of play makes us big pretenders.

Liverpool had a blip against Fulham and dropped 2 points then how did they bounce back from that? They scraped and scrapped a win against us then thrashed PaLace......

How did we come back from the blip against Palace? We lost to Liverpool and then to Leicester.

That for me sums up the difference.

In adversity the big clubs pull out results and we do not ....it seems we the supporters are always let down or left badly disappointed.......we still have not lost the SPURSEY label.

Sad but true...its no use saying if Bergjwin or Kane had scored, If Braindead had a brain and did not barge the player, ....it always seems to happen year in year out.....it is not a coincidence it seems to be part of our DNA as a club!

I'm just suggesting we wait to see what happens. I am as pissed off as everyone else. It's fine margins and decisions. I still think our MF needs work.

Hands up who preferred our entertaining teams who appeared and disappeared over the decades, sometimes winning cups and trophies along the way but in the main an entertainment roller coaster who, when we won we won with style and were the talk of the town and when our players had an off day we sometimes got gubbed or played shit, but you new a great performance was likely the next game or in the near future . .....but heh we may not have won as much as we should have but what a great team to support and be part of......enjoyment glory dissappointment expectation ....when was the last time you felt really really really boyant and more importantly PROUD of our team over the last 10 years for example? I was proud in the CL semi for the comeback.....but that's pretty much it
I'd add to that Greavesie by saying that if we were to win something this season, it will be a very muted success because few will have got any real pleasure or enjoyment from how it was achieved.

I have just spotted the header Kane put over against Leicester was probably the result of being barged in the back in the 6 yard area. So it's ok to do that but not what Aurier did ?

Nick Aurier was openly fully blatant...like an Elk going in with horns down to damage the other elk what happened to Kane happens 20 times a match in the box, pushing holding grabbing blocking and 99% gets ignored by the refs IMO

Nick Aurier was openly fully blatant...like an Elk going in with horns down to damage the other elk what happened to Kane happens 20 times a match in the box, pushing holding grabbing blocking and 99% gets ignored by the refs IMO

For sure, but Kane had little chance of heading that ball correctly due to a challenge off the ball. The defender was not going for the ball. Kane was on goal and likely to score. The Aurier challenge was stupid and needless but the player had his back to goal.

I'd add to that Greavesie by saying that if we were to win something this season, it will be a very muted success because few will have got any real pleasure or enjoyment from how it was achieved.

Funnily enough, I'm of 80's mindset here; we need to win something by any way that we can, because then hopefully we can evolve - we'll more than likely soon be losing Kane and Son and it will be a travesty if they don't see some return for their efforts.

Perhaps only me, but I'm not taking it as bad either when we lose. Before, I would have been massively frustrated at the Leicester performance. Now it's just acceptance and numbness. The pressers are equally as defensive from Jose as well. The only time a smile was raised was because of a noisy washing machine. It's as if Jose walks around with a dark cloud above him all the time.

As a leader, it's up to him. I rate the guy and he surely knows what he needs to do on and off the pitch. It is time to lead and ensure that others get their energy from him. I hope that is still happening internally with his players.

Funnily enough I'm of 80's mindset here; we need to win something by anyway that we can, because then hopefully we can evolve - we'll more than likeluy soon be losing Kane and Son and it will be a travesty if they don't see some return for their efforts.
Fair enough Ex but I don't see us evolving further without Kane and Son, and I don't see us winning anything that will be significant enough to keep them. Whether either of them will look back on their Spurs careers with the satisfaction of winning a Carabao Cup medal I doubt. I would agree though that if we can finish top four, which in turn satisfies them both that they would like another crack at the CL with us, I won't care how ugly the football is in achieving that.

Hands up who preferred our entertaining teams who appeared and disappeared over the decades, sometimes winning cups and trophies along the way but in the main an entertainment roller coaster who, when we won we won with style and were the talk of the town and when our players had an off day we sometimes got gubbed or played shit, but you new a great performance was likely the next game or in the near future . .....but heh we may not have won as much as we should have but what a great team to support and be part of......enjoyment glory dissappointment expectation ....when was the last time you felt really really really boyant and more importantly PROUD of our team over the last 10 years for example? I was proud in the CL semi for the comeback.....but that's pretty much it
I loved the 2015-16 + 2016-17 league campaigns under Poch. It's the best football I've consistently seen us play in the 50+ years I've been supporting Spurs, even if we didn't win a trophy.

I never thought I'd see us competing for a league title in my lifetime let alone win one. The only other time we've come close was in the 1984-85 season when we were neck and neck in March. We were slight favourites I think because we had a very favourable run in - something like 8 out 11 of the remaining games at home. But we totally imploded and finished a distant 11 points behind.

Don't get me wrong - the cup wins were great and I was lucky enough to attend most of them in the 70s through to the 90s. But I wouldn't swap any of them for those two years under Poch.

Totally agree with that EX, Every other team i have wached this season without exception, when they or one of their team mates get the ball, their first instinct is to run fast towards towards the opposition goal to try to create space recieve a pass, BEAT a player and create chances to score. We are THE ONLY TEAM who do not do this except on the rare occasion we breakaway after quelling an attack. Awful most of the time. Coached to possesive death under Poch and now Marmite ....to have enhanced that mindset apart from the possession, more the hoof to get it away from our area and have a two second breather......as you say to keep defensive shape first and foremost. As such creativity is rare,

Yup...agree 100%

I am going to try and be positive here, its only a year into JM's contract, there is going to be ups n downs at a club like Spurs, not having deep deep pockets, so I am thinking, positively that this last week is only a blimp, and we will again witness an uprising/winning of football matches until the nest blimp, so for the sake of being positive my fingers are well n truly/tightly crossed.

We have had some tough fixtures recently and Jose adopted a strategy accordingly. We have dropped points narrowly and in some cases unluckily such as Toby own goal and Aurier stupidity. Bergwijn hitting the post and missing a sitter as well as uncharacteristically Harry fluffing a header. A goal being scored with Dier rugby tackled on the deck.
Maybe if the results had gone differently our outlook would not be so dark.
I am trying to put a different slant on it, I dont rule out Jose losing the plot but it may be too soon to write him off.

Nick, very true....but I always believe that the good teams find a way. They don't rely on luck...they make their own.

But you are correct...the Pool game easily...SHOULD have gone our way. But we didn't finish...and they did. ...Palace...Foxes...

Too much shoulda, woulda, coulda....we need execution when it matters most.

Nick, very true....but I always believe that the good teams find a way. They don't rely on luck...they make their own.

But you are correct...the Pool game easily...SHOULD have gone our way. But we didn't finish...and they did. ...Palace...Foxes...

Too much shoulda, woulda, coulda....we need execution when it matters most.

Sonny and Kane have been lethal and executed with consistency recently, strikers always go through peaks and troughs. I am worried about the amount of minutes they are both playing though

I loved the 2015-16 + 2016-17 league campaigns under Poch. It's the best football I've consistently seen us play in the 50+ years I've been supporting Spurs, even if we didn't win a trophy.

I never thought I'd see us competing for a league title in my lifetime let alone win one. The only other time we've come close was in the 1984-85 season when we were neck and neck in March. We were slight favourites I think because we had a very favourable run in - something like 8 out 11 of the remaining games at home. But we totally imploded and finished a distant 11 points behind.

Don't get me wrong - the cup wins were great and I was lucky enough to attend most of them in the 70s through to the 90s. But I wouldn't swap any of them for those two years under Poch.

1967 we got so close to a second double ...we actually blew it in the first half of the season. As we were unbeated after our 1-0 home defeat by manure on the 14th January both in the ;eague and the cup. where we went on to beat Chelsae in the cup final. A few better results pre Christmas and we would have walked to the title....we came 3rd in the league same points as Nottingham forest and 4 points off the winners Man Utd

I think it’s a case of be careful what we wish for....let’s suppose that Jose has the time with the squad to inculcate them with his brand of attacking football...FBs making as many runs into the opposition final 3 rd as possible...CBS pushing up and condensing play, players x and y to be the creative force in MF, Son and Kane freed up from too much defensive duty and away we go with breathtaking displays of pace and excellent passing but we get ripped open in the process and lose more games than we win...how happy will people be then?

Ok, that’s an exaggerated description, and the reason I have put players x and y in there is because I don’t think ND and LoCo are those players, but I guess we will never find out if they are not given the chance to play in those positions with that brief. We are also missing a RB that can fulfill the attacking role, and two CBs with pace, power and footballing intelligence.

it’s a matter of opinion as to whether this squad is good enough to play expansive, open football and consistently win games. The only opinion that counts at the moment is Jose’s and he clearly doesn’t think so.

1967 we got so close to a second double ...we actually blew it in the first half of the season. As we were unbeated after our 1-0 home defeat by manure on the 14th January both in the ;eague and the cup. where we went on to beat Chelsae in the cup final. A few better results pre Christmas and we would have walked to the title....we came 3rd in the league same points as Nottingham forest and 4 points off the winners Man Utd
I had just started supporting spurs around that time and I remember the Chelsea cup final clearly but I can't remember anything about the league campaign. Probably just as well.

Sonny and Kane have been lethal and executed with consistency recently, strikers always go through peaks and troughs. I am worried about the amount of minutes they are both playing though
You are probably right there regards Our Arry n Son, but I don't think it is the actual game time minutes, I believe it is the way they are being asked to play, way to deep, therefore more yardage or meterage used = to much gallavanting all over the pitch, whereas if they spent their time up front where they belong giving our opponents defenders something to think about, that would equal less yardage/meterage covered, thus less knackered, my thoughts anyway.