What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 15 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

As I say, high risk for their futures.
They obviously think it’s worth making a statement as opposed to just accepting the fine at Magistrates court.

Probably got nothing to lose. It's the taxpayer that will pay for it.

Good luck Milo (!), Jake, Sage (!) And Rhian.

Probably got nothing to lose. It's the taxpayer that will pay for it.

Good luck Milo (!), Jake, Sage (!) And Rhian.

They potentially have their liberty to lose.
The statue was grade two listed and valued well above £5,000 which ups the anti to a potential custodial term.
Maybe they think they are martyrs as opposed to vandals.
I dunno?

I have a mate who is bitterly opposed to the statue of General Haig in Whitehall.
He reckons that if these guys get away with it, he’s hiring a crane to pull down that statue on a Sunday afternoon.
The precedent will be set.

They’ve elected to trial by jury at the Crown court.
High risk IMO.
Clearly the CPS have enough visual evidence to proceed so it will be interesting to find out what the defence can possibly be.
I think they are gambling on a few sympathetic jurors.
As I say, high risk for their futures.
They obviously think it’s worth making a statement as opposed to just accepting the fine at Magistrates court.

Good for them. It certainly is worth making a statement.

As it said in the article I linked to on post #233:

The case will also be a political trial because it will keep in the spotlight both the Society of Merchant Venturers, those cheerleaders for Colston and great beneficiaries of the slave-trade – who continue to be protected by their power, wealth & network.

Wanna know more about the SMV?:
https://alternativebristol.com/time...d-exploiters-of-bristols-white-working-class/

They potentially have their liberty to lose.
The statue was grade two listed and valued well above £5,000 which ups the anti to a potential custodial term.
Maybe they think they are martyrs as opposed to vandals.
I dunno?

I have a mate who is bitterly opposed to the statue of General Haig in Whitehall.
He reckons that if these guys get away with it, he’s hiring a crane to pull down that statue on a Sunday afternoon.
The precedent will be set.

If they go down for this it will be an outrage. And very many people will be outraged. More trouble would shirley follow. Sending them to prison would be a big mistake by the authorities.

If they go down for this it will be an outrage. And very many people will be outraged. More trouble would shirley follow. Sending them to prison would be a big mistake by the authorities.

I don`t think that too many would be outraged, Bud. They have a right to a trial, of course, but if they want to play politics in the crown court and make this a very expensive "show" trial then, if they are found guilty, they will have to face the consequences. Sorry but, personally, I hope the twats get some porridge ! (though I doubt that will happen unless they`ve got lots of previous convictions)

I don`t think that too many would be outraged, Bud. They have a right to a trial, of course, but if they want to play politics in the crown court and make this a very expensive "show" trial then, if they are found guilty, they will have to face the consequences. Sorry but, personally, I hope the twats get some porridge ! (though I doubt that will happen unless they`ve got lots of previous convictions)

I disagree, I think that Bristol will riot if they go down.

Disappointed with and surprised by your, "hope the twats get some porridge", comment. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but that was pretty low.

My opinion is that nobody should ever be sent to prison for an offence against property.

Disappointed with and surprised by your, "hope the twats get some porridge", comment. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but that was pretty low.

My opinion is that nobody should ever be sent to prison for an offence against property.

So, if someone firebombed your van while you was away ? ......
That’s just an offence against property.
Really Budds ?

In the Bristol case, they’ve decided to take the chance but I really can’t see how they can win the case.
If they are pleading mitigation, good luck with that.
It’s in the hands of the twelve good men/women.

So, if someone firebombed your van while you was away ? ......
That’s just an offence against property.
Really Budds ?

I wouldn't want them to go to prison for it. Not unless they'd set fire to it whilst I was in it!

Obviously don't want my caravan set fire to, and I want some kind of restorative justice. But prison? Nah, that should be reserved for the real monsters; the rapists, murderers and child abusers.

Prison for property point I get, but they appear to want to make a show trial out of it and are choosing to raise the stakes. My porridge comment is a bit strong, I suppose, but i`m afraid that I am very much against mobs pulling down statues, or any other public entity/edifice or part thereof. The political flavour of it should be a matter settled democratically at local level. I understand where you`re coming from, Bud, but we`ll have to disagree on this topic.

Prison for property point I get, but they appear to want to make a show trial out of it and are choosing to raise the stakes. My porridge comment is a bit strong, I suppose, but i`m afraid that I am very much against mobs pulling down statues, or any other public entity/edifice or part thereof. The political flavour of it should be a matter settled democratically at local level. I understand where you`re coming from, Bud, but we`ll have to disagree on this topic.

Yeah, fair enough, mate.

We won't always agree but it's good that we can understand and respect each others' different perspectives.

I would guess that Rhian and Sage are middle class white women, so they are highly unlikely to be sent to jail imo. Jail or no jail, it is you and me (the taxpayer) that will foot the bill. Never mind!

And I agree. No chance of a riot in Bristol whatever the verdict. In the real world ( which Buddha has no idea about) people have got their own problems to worry about.

I would guess that Rhian and Sage are middle class white women, so they are highly unlikely to be sent to jail imo. Jail or no jail, it is you and me (the taxpayer) that will foot the bill. Never mind!

And I agree. No chance of a riot in Bristol whatever the verdict. In the real world ( which Buddha has no idea about) people have got their own problems to worry about.

Yes, this could turn out to be very expensive, and not just for the people of Bristol if the trial is re-located to a crown court in another city - which I suppose could happen in this case if the possibility of having a less than sympathetic Bristol jury is a matter pushed by Rhian & Sage`s "Briefs". Whatever happens it`s gonna cost a fortune. Might have been much easier, and less costly, to just press-gang them into the Navy. - oh, the good ole days.....

I rather think public unrest would follow a not guilty verdict as many will take that as a green light to demolish any statue/building they don't agree with. Doesn't matter what a person's opinion is about the legal system and its punishment, if it's legal, it can happen. We all have laws or rules that we don't agree with but to break them just for that reason would lead to a break down of society.
Although to some, that probably sounds like fun.

I rather think public unrest would follow a not guilty verdict as many will take that as a green light to demolish any statue/building they don't agree with. Doesn't matter what a person's opinion is about the legal system and its punishment, if it's legal, it can happen. We all have laws or rules that we don't agree with but to break them just for that reason would lead to a break down of society.
Although to some, that probably sounds like fun.

nobs, I take your point about the possibility of public unrest if there were a not-guilty verdict. I don't think that many people would actually take it as a green light to demolish any statue/building they didn't agree with, but I do think that there would be sufficient enough people, spurred on no doubt by the media, fearing that there might be, for it to constitute, 'public unrest'.

The thing is, I wasn't suggesting that people would react badly, riot even, if these four are found guilty. For what we've said above, I think it's almost inevitable that they will be found guilty. (In as much as they were part of a crowd who pulled down the statue I can't see how they're anything other than guilty, the big question is why are these specific four being tried and not all the other people who also there?)

What I was suggesting would be outrageous and provoke outrage, is if there are sent to prison for this, 'crime'.