What is your religion? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What is your religion?

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
She’s a fucking clown. ( sorry for the language, but I couldn’t spell fucking any other way)

I think that's the acceptable spelling mate lol

Shame really, she's clearly searching for something but it's always got to have a publicity overhang which is why she'll never find it.

It worries me greatly that at times of stress, failure or disappointment, one of my twin 16 yo daughters, who has already had counseling for an eating disorder, asks the question "What is the point?" in relation to life.

Until the later half of the 20th Century, religion provided an answer for many. For many of today's youngsters, finding meaning and purpose in life, surrounded by selfishness, greed, violence and hate has become extremely difficult.

How do I answer her question? Tenacity and resilience are the character traits that I have tried to encourage and instil in my children. Work out what you believe to be right and fight for it. Draw comfort from the things you enjoy. Be open to new ideas and experiences so that you can contribute positively to the collective wisdom of humanity. Finally, respect and care for the miraculous planet that sustains all life. Marvel at and enjoy what it has to offer.

Perhaps those native cultures that respect the things that give and sustain all life (and modern religions refer to as pagan) had it right all along.

My religion, I'd say Christianity but, Christianity doesn't actually exist even though some country's, mostly western country's, do call themselves Christian, they do not follow the teachings of the Christ.
Christian churches/chapels do not preach Christian beliefs to their congregations 99 times out of 100 but, instead teach Judaism, preaching and giving lessons from the old testament, which is basically the Jewish Tora.
I have never been one to blindly accept information given without questioning it and I have been given the same basic answer, everytime I have asked why the teachings of a supposedly Christian Priest, are always from the old testament.
People first have to learn what Christianity was born out of, is the normal unchanging answer I have been receiving for 60 years.
When I have asked, wouldn't it be better to teach what Christianity is, before misleading people about its birthright. I have received looks of outright hatred and been told, You don't understand. To which I have replied, Christianity either evolved out of what was wrong with Judaism or, came from Gods son, who was sent here to show us a new way. You choose whichever you believe.
I have also asked Catholic Priests, how they can belong to a church that exists to break the very essence of Christs beliefs, suggesting they re-read Matthew 23. I never have had any kind of an answer to that one.

Blimey, this is an old thread!

As VOTN said, wasn't meant to be about 'Religion' it was what is your religion

Mine.

Music and training.

Football is a tribe thing but without my gym is my place of 'worship' and music feeds my soul.

I consider myself largely a humanist.

However, if a celebrity dies I may forward on the odd joke at a reasonable length of time after said death.

Each to their own and I have no problem people having a faith to live by, believe in and take comfort in.

I couldn't be more cynical and non believing if I tried. I find religion to be very hypocritical in a 'do as I say not as I do' way.

Exactly how I feel.

My Mom and Dad were/are churchgoers and my sister married a vicar , and if they find comfort in that then fine.

Not for me though.

Not really what the question was though. It's not actually a religious thread. It's basically saying even if you aren't religious, what do you replace it with, what's your 'passion' I guess.