What is the point ? | Vital Football

What is the point ?

DRAYTON GREEN

Vital Football Legend
I have always watched Match of the Day. Although we are not involved I always watch it on a Saturday, Sunday and midweek when it is on as it was this week.
The question is why ? We are not involved and I do not watch the championship highlights programme ( wherever it is shown these days ).
I suppose I like to see the very best of all the things that interest me.

I also watch on a Sunday and midweek without knowing the scores. Pathetic and difficult to achieve but usually manage it.

As I was watching on Wednesday with the benefit of not knowing scores of the games being played on the night together with the news of the record breaking window and huge amount of money spent still on my mind I took more notice of the standard of players for most of the 20 clubs.

It became abundantly clear that the top 6 / 8 teams are now getting better and more adrift from the mid to lower teams than ever. Scores of 6, 7, 8 may become a norm.
However the mid and lower table teams are also spending a lot and when playing each other looking good in their own group.

I then thought about our squad, first team match squad and what I have witnessed this season so far.
We are absolutely miles off lower premier league standard and even if we do manage to get promotion from what looks like a weak championship, it would almost certainly result in another embarrassing 20 th position and even larger thrashings from the top 6 / 8 clubs.

Hence the title of this thread. What is the point ?
If we do get promoted it will be appalling. If we do not it is the start of a road down to league 1.

We desperately need new owners, proper finance, more energy, a better Sporting Director & Manager and either a much better squad or a Manager to inspire what we have and adding to it.

Have I given up ? Not yet. I will be in pub at 12.30 on Saturday ahead of yet another game and hoping for a win but .... What is the Point ?

I have always watched Match of the Day. Although we are not involved I always watch it on a Saturday, Sunday and midweek when it is on as it was this week.
The question is why ? We are not involved and I do not watch the championship highlights programme ( wherever it is shown these days ).
I suppose I like to see the very best of all the things that interest me.

I also watch on a Sunday and midweek without knowing the scores. Pathetic and difficult to achieve but usually manage it.

As I was watching on Wednesday with the benefit of not knowing scores of the games being played on the night together with the news of the record breaking window and huge amount of money spent still on my mind I took more notice of the standard of players for most of the 20 clubs.

It became abundantly clear that the top 6 / 8 teams are now getting better and more adrift from the mid to lower teams than ever. Scores of 6, 7, 8 may become a norm.
However the mid and lower table teams are also spending a lot and when playing each other looking good in their own group.

I then thought about our squad, first team match squad and what I have witnessed this season so far.
We are absolutely miles off lower premier league standard and even if we do manage to get promotion from what looks like a weak championship, it would almost certainly result in another embarrassing 20 th position and even larger thrashings from the top 6 / 8 clubs.

Hence the title of this thread. What is the point ?
If we do get promoted it will be appalling. If we do not it is the start of a road down to league 1.

We desperately need new owners, proper finance, more energy, a better Sporting Director & Manager and either a much better squad or a Manager to inspire what we have and adding to it.

Have I given up ? Not yet. I will be in pub at 12.30 on Saturday ahead of yet another game and hoping for a win but .... What is the Point ?
Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news DG. There isn't a point to it all. Just enjoy your day out.

What with so much going on, I neither make the time nor have the interest in the machinations of the businesses that purport to be football clubs. My sole interest is Norwich City and that is increasingly tenuous.
A ray of hope is Kenny; he knows the point.

I agree entirely with you DG , and as last seasons horror relegation has broken me , I just don’t want to go through it again . Every win we achieve in the Chumpionship brings the spectre of the Prem just that little bit closer . To go up with the ageing dreadful unambitious and football poverty stricken Smiffs fills me with a sense of desperation and I probably won’t go to games.
Rex made a comment after the Brum game saying ‘dont you just love the Championship? ‘ Of course in a way he is absolutely correct , and fans are now buzzing again after each exciting win and the delight of last gasp winners . But here‘s the rub. To keep on loving the Championship we simply have GOT to lose about 20 games to ensure we stay in the Championship. What sort of fan goes to Carrow Road wanting us to lose and if they do then what is the point of going ?

One (possibly the only) advantage of promotion is that the club receives more money than it would earn in the Championship. As a business (which is exactly what it is) that makes sense. To the bean counters winning pl games makes sense only because it helps the bottom line so the point is financial survival and earnings for those that have a financial interest in the club.
Football is merely the basis of the business.

One (possibly the only) advantage of promotion is that the club receives more money than it would earn in the Championship. As a business (which is exactly what it is) that makes sense. To the bean counters winning pl games makes sense only because it helps the bottom line so the point is financial survival and earnings for those that have a financial interest in the club.
Football is merely the basis of the business.

Rex. That is true but does not really work with just one season in the PL.
Each time we go straight back down it appears to me that the club still cannot complete with many Championship clubs financially despite the parachute payments.
That may well be down to SW and his poor signings as we are generally left with players not good enough for premier league who think they are too good for the championship and can only be sold for a loss if at all.
Add that to the lack of young players coming through to play a season or so and be sold for large fees and we are again reliant on the lack of wealth of the owners. This may explain our poor squad this season and if we were to go up it would be, even with a few new signings, be so far away from standard to survive in PL.

I suspect that competing with other teams for players is not high on the list of priorities. Where the money goes I don't know but it clearly does not go on augmenting the team.
I just wonder whether there would be anything at all left for the team if we were reduced to Championship income.

I suspect that competing with other teams for players is not high on the list of priorities. Where the money goes I don't know but it clearly does not go on augmenting the team.
I just wonder whether there would be anything at all left for the team if we were reduced to Championship income.
Well if they are not creaming off the top they must be saving it for the next pandemic

Reactions: Rex
If we looked at this from common denominators, managers, players and support staff are all variables and they have certainly been that, in fact many variables of varying qualities. Less variable and more of a common denominator is the board - board members have on occasions come and gone, so not so variable, but as fas as I know not mostly financial injection was not their power more paperwork and contact type expertise. Then there is the most and really only singularly common denominator is the top two. NCFC is still around, thats the best result. We have a model many wont emulate such as Forest "who arnt going to do a Norwich" and that model doesnt look as if its about to change, seemingly the non-variable. So we are here in 2022 with a common denominator and a non- variable. Even our billionaire new director isnt changing that format, apparantly fitting in to bring something other than money group of the board, we watch a business operate with a proven track record, a somewhat stuck record. Yo-yo back and forth to the Prem and get the parachutes activated again and again sustains the club. The price paid by the fans is a season of rejuvination in the Champ and desolation in the Prem. I suppose we are supposed to get used to it for the club to survive under the current unvariable process. I guess the law of averages isnt relevant as there is new kids on the block and new ex-players managers wanting experience which only sustains the yo-yo. Everybody and everything doesnt go on forever so change will come eventually - may not necessarily be for the better or the worse. But will we get to see it? Yet another variable, just like our weekly emotions with NCFC

If we looked at this from common denominators, managers, players and support staff are all variables and they have certainly been that, in fact many variables of varying qualities. Less variable and more of a common denominator is the board - board members have on occasions come and gone, so not so variable, but as fas as I know not mostly financial injection was not their power more paperwork and contact type expertise. Then there is the most and really only singularly common denominator is the top two. NCFC is still around, thats the best result. We have a model many wont emulate such as Forest "who arnt going to do a Norwich" and that model doesnt look as if its about to change, seemingly the non-variable. So we are here in 2022 with a common denominator and a non- variable. Even our billionaire new director isnt changing that format, apparantly fitting in to bring something other than money group of the board, we watch a business operate with a proven track record, a somewhat stuck record. Yo-yo back and forth to the Prem and get the parachutes activated again and again sustains the club. The price paid by the fans is a season of rejuvination in the Champ and desolation in the Prem. I suppose we are supposed to get used to it for the club to survive under the current unvariable process. I guess the law of averages isnt relevant as there is new kids on the block and new ex-players managers wanting experience which only sustains the yo-yo. Everybody and everything doesnt go on forever so change will come eventually - may not necessarily be for the better or the worse. But will we get to see it? Yet another variable, just like our weekly emotions with NCFC
A very well calculated response Steve and some excellent Points.

So we win 3-0 and Norwich Vital goes deafeningly quiet - boy it must have been a huge shock to score 3 goals - or are we soooooooooooooooo happyyyyyy that we are all in slumberland and the nerves have finally settled - you're not planning some take-over are you guys??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we win 3-0 and Norwich Vital goes deafeningly quiet - boy it must have been a huge shock to score 3 goals - or are we soooooooooooooooo happyyyyyy that we are all in slumberland and the nerves have finally settled - you're not planning some take-over are you guys??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in shock as I predicted the correct score....needed a few days to recover.

Perhaps some have realised that there is no point in being top under Smiffs Norwich . Every win will take us nearer to the Prem where the impoverished and unambitious owners will lead us through another season of misery

It just appears that to ask the question ' what is the point ' is the correct thing to do as we have managed to beat the bottom of the league team 3. 0 and if not for a crucial decision in first half it would have been 1 1 and Smiths strange half time team talk would have been made look even worse as we played badly level on terms.
A win but not anything to get too excited about.

It just goes to show we are good enough to beat poor teams at home.
If we are good enough to draw or even win on Friday when away to a good team, then we may be good enough to get promotion from a very weak league.
If that happens, based on what I have seen so far this season in the PL we would be totally outclassed yet again.

Last edited:
It just appears that to ask the question ' what is the point ' is the correct thing to do as we have managed to beat the bottom of the league team 3. 0 and if not for a crucial decision in first half it would have been 1 1 and Smiths strange half time team talk would have been made look even worse as we played badly level on terms.

If we are good enough to draw or even win on Friday when away to a good team, then we may be good enough to get promotion from a very weak league.
If that happens, based on what I have seen so far this season in the PL we would be totally outclassed yet again.
You are spot on DG. The most important thing on Friday is not the result but how well we play if we are to get any idea how we will do this season and even then, with injuries to our better players, I think we will struggle. Still, if we don't get promoted, is it the end of the world. The most important thing for me is not battling Championship relegation.

And you know Smith would keep faith in most of these players even though he and we all know t get are not good enough for the prem. Webber would go out and spend some money on players who aren't ready for the prem and down we'd go again...all the while being told that go up gives us the money we need to survive (So bloody get that rich investor in) and then at sane time being told we have little to no money to spend

Just read the article in the Pink Un where the question is raised about where the joy has gone from Carrow Road after a subdued Saturday this week , a game where fans left in droves long before the end as if we had lost 3-0 instead of winning 3-0 . The article offers all sorts of excuses except the one root cause ,which is the continued ownership of the club by the ancient ,fading ,unambitious and impoverished Smiffs who still cling selfishly to power despite American interest . I suspect that the 1000s of fans who pissed off early know exactly what will happen next season if we go up with the Smiffs still in charge as our owners cannot buy what will be required to stay in the Prem…..and those fans are probably asking themselves ……..what is the point being here ?