What have you thought of the Women's World Cup? | Vital Football

What have you thought of the Women's World Cup?

Will_Shahane

Vital Squad Member
I haven't watched a lot of matches from this World Cup, but I enjoyed the England v USA game yesterday. I thought it was played at a decent pace, and the standard was generally high in that match, in my opinion. It's good that women's football is receiving more exposure, and I hope that this tournament will help the women's game to grow.

Just a couple of questions to the rest of the board... have you watched many games from this tournament? Do you think that the women's game will be able to reach the standard of the men's game, and match it in terms of popularity and viewing figures?

Not a fan of judging quality by viewing figures, just look at crap like Love Island and Big Bang Theory. Viewing figures have almost doubled the 2015 world cup, but the England womens quarter final got less than half the figures than the England v Sweden quarter final. Will it ever reach as high as men's? Highly doubt it.

I watched a few games and the standard is League 1 at best, with only USA having a claim to be higher. I hope the attention it gets encourages more girls to take up the sport and in 12/16 years time, we might see a good jump of quality compared to now.

I have to admit the standard is probably league 2 at best,The amount of over hype by the BBC was ridiculous and the fact remains that the crowds in the women's super league do not support the claims that it can somehow match the men's game! Indeed I wonder what would happen if the FFP rules were used in the league!!

Only watched the England games (and some of USA vs France), and I'm amazed that folk are comparing the standard to League 1 or even 2.

It's a way off that. Maybe not quite Sunday pub league, but certainly nowhere near pro, or even semi pro level.

Played well though.

I just watched all of the ENG vs USA game - quite exciting match due to the circumstances but a totally different game to the mens for all sorts of reasons. It hasnt inspired me to watch further games in the future though. This VAR is a big issue for me though and I find it very frustrating , I would prefer and accept the fine margins decisions to be decided real time by the ref and let the game continue to flow.

Only watched the England games (and some of USA vs France), and I'm amazed that folk are comparing the standard to League 1 or even 2.

It's a way off that. Maybe not quite Sunday pub league, but certainly nowhere near pro, or even semi pro level.

Played well though.

Totally agree the standard compared to men is very low. Without trying to be nasty or sexist in any way I believe a Conference side say Chorley would score 10 against the England women

Saw last nights and the Norway game, enjoyed both.

What really annoys and infuriates is this var nonsense. Football is a fantastic game, fast and free flowing. Crucially its an emotive sport. It’s imperfect and mistakes are made. This obsession with seeking perfection and taking away the emotions is utterly infuriating and will ruin the sport. Rejoicing about goals being disallowed as it’s the ‘right decision’ because someone’s toenail is offside is utterly ridiculous. Viewing an incident for several minutes to determine if a foul has occurred is also ludicrous, especially as on occasions it’s still subjective. Leave it be, accept that mistakes will be made by players and officials alike and stop ruining the sport.

Watched most of their QF against Norway and seen bits and pieces of other games. There is some really good passing movement and I can certainly watch it to a point. Physically it is just impossible for the women to reach anything similar in terms of men’s standard but why should they be expected to ?

I can watch women’s athletics and thoroughly enjoy it without having to sneer at the sprinters comparison to Usain Bolt and the likes ... it would be absurd to do so.

Occasionally though in the women’s WC I have been really impressed at some of the football and then really disappointed at the next pass or shot which is embarrassingly bad.

(I occasionally get that disappointment watching Latics to be fair but it’s usually lack of skill rather than the lack of bant required to kick the ball 20 yards)

Why are people trying to defend themselves here? (Sexist etc) Will started this thread with a genuine question it shouldn't matter if its womens football or not, just say it has it is ffs!

We have plenty women that go to football matches and continuously barrack and slag off the males so whats the difference?

Like Moonay i watched bits here and there but couldn't get interested, the standard of football was crap, on another note, sad we didnt make the final but could you imagine the stick us males would have got if they would have won the world cup? :oops:

Why are people trying to defend themselves here? (Sexist etc) Will started this thread with a genuine question it shouldn't matter if its womens football or not, just say it has it is ffs!

oops, sorry Will - i will repost then:

just a couple of questions to the rest of the board... have you watched many games from this tournament?
No, I feckin avnt cos it's feckin crap.
Do you think that the women's game will be able to reach the standard of the men's game, and match it in terms of popularity and viewing figures?
No , it feckin wont cos it's feckin crap.

Must admit I have been surprised by the standard of some of the games whilst others have been very poor. There seems to be an emphasis on getting the ball down and playing on the deck, although sometimes it is overplayed and there seems to be a lot of passes for the sake of passing and many passes going astray.

The USA are head and shoulders above any of the other teams in the competition in their style of play and fitness levels. They play a very high pressing game for the first quarter of the game and have been very successful in scoring within the first twenty minutes of games and are then prepared to sit back and defend their lead whilst relying on their forwards to hit the opposition on the break. England on the other hand under Phil Neville have generally been patient in the build up and reliant on out passing their opponents and getting the ball in to White, who looks a decent striker.

Last night they were out played by the USA who were gifted two goals from crosses that should have been dealt with easily or prevented at source. The goal that was disallowed for offside was a shame as the VAR evidence showed that although her body was in line her foot was offside, very similar to the one we had ruled out against Norwich. Harsh decision for me. The penalty decision was also very dubious, but correct, the defender caught her foot as she was lining up the shot and was enough to prevent her getting the shot off. The penalty was poor and having missed two others in the competition should have been taken with power rather than placement, in my opinion.

To answer Wills questions, yes, I have watched a number of the games and some were better than others, and no, the standard of play and interest will never reach the same standard as the mens game. The USA are probably as good as it gets as most of their college soccer leagues are womens and therefore they are playing regularly and bringing players through from those teams yet are still only reaching lower league standard in the EFL. The investment in the game in Europe will probably help to bring the standard over here up and allow the European teams to compete at the same level, but I doubt we will ever see a womens team that could compete on equal terms with a top International mens team.

Played well though.

I should have stated by claiming that it's League 1 at best, I mean the best teams like England, France, Netherlands, with USA the cream of a not very good crop. In general I agree that it is lower, I watched Wrexham in National League a few times at uni and there isn't much difference in quality.

I have enjoyed every game, some more than others. Last night our girls gave everything they had, running themselves into the ground.
If the players representing WA next season, no matter were we get them from do the same I will come away from the DW a very happy man.

The way our recruitment is going at the moment we may have to sign a few birds from the England women if they were daft enough to sign, anyone in their right mind would'nt sign for us, the club is a bloody shambles from top to bottom!

Last edited:

Played well though.

Spot on. Apparently the England Women's team played Salford City Academy and got mullered 9-0

That said, it's a different sport (as I heard a former England Women's footballer say on the telly today) so the 2 shouldn't really be compared

I watched bits of the World Cup but I didn't really find it entertaining