what ever happened to man music? | Page 2 | Vital Football

what ever happened to man music?

Tonnes of fantastic new music out there in whatever style you want if your prepared to look for it and ignore the pop media and charts. To start try reading a good mag such as Record Collector.

To be honest Wurzel there is a lot of bloody good stuff IN the charts. I am a pop person, dabble with most genres from Classical to Metal , but mostly a pure pop person.

And , although the last 12 months has been a bit dull, the previous 12 months was one of the best years for music I can ever remember.

I have always said - in my generation , two years stand out , 1984 and 1990

But 2011 was superb and up there with any I can remember.

Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, Jessie J, Lady Gaga, Script, Take That , Olly Murs and so on and so on.

Chart music was at a real high , and was selling in more quantaties than at any time in the 50 odd year history of music - so , yep, what-ever your taste and age, you can't knock it at the moment (or last year anyway)

Agreed, loads of good new stuff whatever your taste. I am amazed that the record industry doesn't commission a TV show to promote their products.

Could it be that the 'man music' which we are discussing was made by men when they would have been young men and since then young men have moved on to other styles of music while those who were young men at that time haven't?

Wurzel - 28/3/2013 18:06

Agreed, loads of good new stuff whatever your taste. I am amazed that the record industry doesn't commission a TV show to promote their products.

With a wacky DJ who has a gimmick like , say, a track suit

Lol

s it a sign you are getting old when your favourite channel is "Vintage TV" ?

Mind you, my daughter watches it more than the current channels (she wants to be a music journalist so studies all types of music, which I think is superb). She came up to me last night and asked "Have you got any Boomtown Rats albums, I've only heard Rat Trap and I don't like Mondays and I like them so want to hear some more.

Really makes me feel good, I am a huge music buff (I have only ever lost one music quiz and I swear the other team cheated !) and I am so glad it's been passed on.

I always tell me kids, listen to everything, every genre, every era - you won't like everything, but every now and again, you will hear an unbelievable track.

As for "man music" its not my stuff, but if you look at Scuzz or Kerrang or MTV Rock - it's still there, just doesn't get the cross over success as it used to.

Trekker - 28/3/2013 18:12

Wurzel - 28/3/2013 18:06

With a wacky DJ who has a gimmick like , say, a track suit

Yes someone who is down with the kids.

badge73 - 28/3/2013 12:16

years ago we had music for men such as level 42, mike and the mechanics, dire straits, tears for fears (though he was close to that when i asked about his favourite waitress lol) and going back a bit further bad company and thin lizzy.

even had solo artists for man music, chris rea, clapton but sadly all gone ...

where did it go and why? plus whose to blame, the metro lot?

We getting older as they say 'they don't make them like that nowadays' :17:

Not just man music badge: I love Clapton and Dire Straits. Mind you I have never been a straightforward woman/person thank f