West Ham United v Aston Villa Sunday 12th March 2pm K.O | Page 24 | Vital Football

West Ham United v Aston Villa Sunday 12th March 2pm K.O

Have to echo what SD said a few posts up. Hugely surprised leaving the game at the reaction. Not read back again but first impressions were seemingly people are thinking already that we should roll over teams at will. We played exactly how we did away at Spuds and Saints up until the penalty and while not as effective after it went 1-1 we were still dangerous. I clearly saw a different game and I don’t agree that we ‘we lucky’ as has been posted. We were the ones showing more quality in the attacks . Spam were relying on a long switch over the top to our fullbacks and nothing else. The reaction post game is classic small picture thinking, game by game instead of seeing it in the wider context of life under Unai so far and where we are going. It really wasn’t that bad from the stands imho.,

Also hugely surprised that even though it’s still early days people are still questioning the style . Seriously peeps this is it under Unai. I really wouldn’t bother wasting time on posting about the playing from the back. That particular part of the playing style has nothing at all to do with not having the required level of player. We may create more with better players, we may keep the ball better in higher areas of the pitch with better players but the slow style sucking the press in to exploit the gaps left behind is here to stay . FACT.
It really could be sabbatical time for the next 2-3 years for some if they are going to get frustrated with the playing style.

For the first time in a long time . And I mean a long time, we look like we have a plan , a style and are clear in what we want to achieve. The players know even if it doesn’t work out all of the time . And they believe in it. It really is night and day compared to how they looked under Stevie G.

Last edited:
Have to echo what SD said a few posts up. Hugely surprised leaving the game at the reaction. Not read back again but first impressions were seemingly people are thinking already that we should roll over teams at will. We played exactly how we did away at Spuds and Saints up until the penalty. I clearly saw a different game. Don’t agree that we ‘we lucky’ as has been posted. We were the ones showing more quality in the attacks . Spam were relying on a long switch over the top to our fullbacks and nothing else. The reaction post game is classic small picture thinking, game by game instead of seeing it in the wider context of life under Unai so far and where we are going. It really wasn’t that bad from the stands imho.,

Also hugely surprised that even though it’s still early days people are still questioning the style . Seriously peeps this is it under Unai. I really wouldn’t bother wasting time on posting about the playing from the back. That particular part of the playing style has nothing all to do with not having the required level of player. We may create more with better players we may keep the ball better in higher areas of the pitch with better players but the slow style sucking the press in to exploit the gaps left behind is here to stay . FACT.
It really could be sabbatical time for the next 2-3 years for some if they are going to get frustrated with the playing style.

For the first time in a long time . And I mean a long time, we look like we have a plan , a style and are clear in what we want to achieve. The players know even if it doesn’t work out all the time . And they believe in it. It really is night and day compared to how they looked under Stevie G.

Rightly or wrongly I think people are frustrated with the playing style. A bloke behind me was kicking off about it within 90 seconds of kick against palace (seriously).

Would have taken a point before ko today....but haven't watched the game I did feel West Ham were there for the taking.

Won't work.

The pressure is already building at home - even if the players (any players) become technically adept at it - one mistake and you will have 40,000 fans on you're back.

It works for Man City - because they can recover from conceeding a couple of soft goals - we can't.

If the start we've made under Unai suggests his methods aren't working I cant wait to see what happens when they are. Do you seriously think he's going to change a long held philosophy on how his team plays because we might make a mistake or two? It's not going to happen. And why should we looking at his record since he's been with us. It's working. No need to change it.

Rightly or wrongly I think people are frustrated with the playing style. A bloke behind me was kicking off about it within 90 seconds of kick against palace (seriously).

Would have taken a point before ko today....but haven't watched the game I did feel West Ham were there for the taking.

Yup. I can believe that . There is frustration around where I sit in the HL for sure. Maybe they would be happy with Bielsa?. Exactly. Lol.

And i certainly agree. Before the game would have taken a point. At half time was frustrated that we had let them back in . By 80 mins I said to the bloke next to me I was back to being happy with a point !

Last edited:
Have to echo what SD said a few posts up. Hugely surprised leaving the game at the reaction. Not read back again but first impressions were seemingly people are thinking already that we should roll over teams at will. We played exactly how we did away at Spuds and Saints up until the penalty and while not as effective after it went 1-1 we were still dangerous. I clearly saw a different game and I don’t agree that we ‘we lucky’ as has been posted. We were the ones showing more quality in the attacks . Spam were relying on a long switch over the top to our fullbacks and nothing else. The reaction post game is classic small picture thinking, game by game instead of seeing it in the wider context of life under Unai so far and where we are going. It really wasn’t that bad from the stands imho.,

Also hugely surprised that even though it’s still early days people are still questioning the style . Seriously peeps this is it under Unai. I really wouldn’t bother wasting time on posting about the playing from the back. That particular part of the playing style has nothing all to do with not having the required level of player. We may create more with better players we may keep the ball better in higher areas of the pitch with better players but the slow style sucking the press in to exploit the gaps left behind is here to stay . FACT.

For the first time in a long time . And I mean a long time, we look like we have a plan , a style and are clear in what we want to achieve. The players know even if it doesn’t work out all the time . And they believe in it. It really is night and day compared to how they looked under Stevie G.
Well said sir. Have our fans been abducted by aliens as from where we were to where we are now is a universe apart. A top manager who has got us within 4 points of top 6/7 spot whilst in the blink of an eye we were terrible, easy to predict with players that had clearly given up playing to a team with an idea, a style and are bloody difficult to beat, players like JM and OW have found form, the new recruits look solid, the future of the club has not looked this stable and back to a solid top prem club since O’Neil.
some fans

Won't work.

The pressure is already building at home - even if the players (any players) become technically adept at it - one mistake and you will have 40,000 fans on you're back.

It works for Man City - because they can recover from conceeding a couple of soft goals - we can't.

Lad, people don't have to like it but they will be forced to accept it. You can tell me some won't accept it and thats fine but what are they going to do when good results continue to stream in? Start a protest? Lambast a player for playing it too slowly then 3 moves later we score?

Whats happening now is the players are building more mental resiliency. Quite a few are not going to cut it but fuck me do I give some kudos to the likes of Konsa, Cash and so on for trying. They're doing what Unai wants under the weight of the crowd and yeah its not good but they're persisting. Unai is no mug, he knows exactly what you're saying btw, hence the references to the crowd. He lost the crowd at the Emirates which hastened his exit. This man doesnt seem to make the same mistake too often.

Ultimately its a moot point, our opinions are valid but they don't matter. This is the road we're on and it's like it or lump it, it is what it is and it will be what it will be.

Also just to add, what is the alternative? I generally am someone who would say "play to the strengths of the players".

Until know that is something I always viewed in black and white. They can only play this way and this is the best way for these players. Maybe that isnt right? Certainly, if you tell me how these players played under Smith or Gerrard I'd say lets just fucking pack it up. You're going no where regressing back to either of those two. I love Dean, he gave us back our club and at times we were great. We had some sensational moments but week to week trying to go "toe to toe" with every team was a bit of a joke at this level. It relied entirely on the man-to-man battles all across the pitch which will only ever go so far with players of a certain level / consistency.

Trying to play out from the back even if its not pretty or even that good is progress. Regression is letting Mings and Konsa fire half-aimed long balls up to our 5 ft. 10 striker.

If the start we've made under Unai suggests his methods aren't working I cant wait to see what happens when they are. Do you seriously think he's going to change a long held philosophy on how his team plays because we might make a mistake or two? It's not going to happen. And why should we looking at his record since he's been with us. It's working. No need to change it.
:clap:

And my god. That stadium. That…errrr… atmosphere. Absolutely abysmal. Nothing from the home fans , no singing or chanting, and away fans split into two sections to deaden their atmosphere. If you have never been there I seriously cannot tell you how appalling it is.

Last edited:
Watched some highlights and Tony Gale isn't convinced that we're any better now than when Stevie G was in charge... I think someone needs to report him for slagging off the government so he can get the sack.
I’m actually greatly concerned for his well-being, he needs help

Very happy we got a result yesterday. We only lost out to all 3 points by way of a very soft penalty. In Unai we continue to progress. Imagine where we’ll be when he has his own upgrades. Ollie getting another goal shows what proper coaching can achieve, not least in restoring confidence to the player(s).
I think Traore should now be starting games instead of Bailey if Emery wants to start with a winger. Great to see Carlos involved in the squad yesterday. 35 points at this stage of the season when we could so easily have been in the bottom 3 if the clueless one was still manager shows a terrific turnaround by Unai with the same players that a few gullible types had written off.

I agree and lots of people are trying to justify this football because we are picking up points and it was a breath of fresh air until we lost 3 in a row. Since then it's been this boring slow-motion stuff, which fair play has got us 4 points from two games against teams below us.
We have all seen us play far better under Unai than in the last two games, which have been very difficult to watch. Awful games
That is my take on it, I don't think it's unfair to tell the truth about the last two games this is his way of playing park-the-bus football, this is not the way he wants us to play, this is his way of stopping the rot and getting the points and confidence back until we can get back to how he really wants us to play.
I think we all agree he's the best we've had since BFR but lets not pretend these last two games were how he wants us to play

Wow! Negativity after the run of form we’ve been on especially away from home. Yes home form/results needs to improve, but Rome wasn’t built in a day! Maybe you should try educating that bloke behind you at VP that’s if you understand the bigger picture that most fans seem to be seeing. Experience tells me not to listen to everybody who shouts stuff off at football matches or on football forums for that matter because often they do so from a position of ignorance.