West Ham United v Aston Villa Sunday 12th March 2pm K.O | Page 25 | Vital Football

West Ham United v Aston Villa Sunday 12th March 2pm K.O

I agree and lots of people are trying to justify this football because we are picking up points and it was a breath of fresh air until we lost 3 in a row. Since then it's been this boring slow-motion stuff, which fair play has got us 4 points from two games against teams below us.
We have all seen us play far better under Unai than in the last two games, which have been very difficult to watch. Awful games
That is my take on it, I don't think it's unfair to tell the truth about the last two games this is his way of playing park-the-bus football, this is not the way he wants us to play, this is his way of stopping the rot and getting the points and confidence back until we can get back to how he really wants us to play.
I think we all agree he's the best we've had since BFR but lets not pretend these last two games were how he wants us to play

Tbf you’ve gone off at a complete tangent there ‘57. My post related to one poster’s constant criticism with regards to playing out from the back which we’ve done in the last two games where we haven’t played so well (although I didn’t think yesterday was as bad as you feel it was and I didn’t see it as a ‘parking the bus’ performance at all) and in every other game since Unai arrived. Pretty sure we’ll continue to do that whether we play well or not. That’s what his teams have always done and that’s what my post referred to. Nothing to do specifically with our last two games and I don’t think too many are, as you suggest, ‘pretending’ that Unai wants us to play as we have done last week and this. Think most posters thought last week’s game was bloody awful, I certainly did, but we still played out from the back as we did when we played very well against United, Spurs, Brighton etc. To say playing out from the back ‘ is not going to work’ when he’s started so impressively with an inherited squad is nonsensical! Some games we’ll play well,sometimes we’ll be more pragmatic, sometimes we might be awful, sometimes playing out from the back might lead to mistakes but in all of them we’ll stick primarily to Unai’s preferred way of playing whether we like it or not. If it means digging out results now and then like we have done in the last two weeks, so be it. Tbf many of us have been crying out out for years to do that more regularly. Beats being a plucky loser!

Tbf you’ve gone off at a complete tangent there ‘57. My post related to one poster’s constant criticism with regards to playing out from the back which we’ve done in the last two games where we haven’t played so well (although I didn’t think yesterday was as bad as you feel it was and I didn’t see it as a ‘parking the bus’ performance at all) and in every other game since Unai arrived. Pretty sure we’ll continue to do that whether we play well or not. That’s what his teams have always done and that’s what my post referred to. Nothing to do specifically with our last two games and I don’t think too many are, as you suggest, ‘pretending’ that Unai wants us to play as we have done last week and this. Think most posters thought last week’s game was bloody awful, I certainly did, but we still played out from the back as we did when we played very well against United, Spurs, Brighton etc. To say playing out from the back ‘ is not going to work’ when he’s started so impressively with an inherited squad is nonsensical! Some games we’ll play well,sometimes we’ll be more pragmatic, sometimes we might be awful, sometimes playing out from the back might lead to mistakes but in all of them we’ll stick primarily to Unai’s preferred way of playing whether we like it or not. If it means digging out results now and then like we have done in the last two weeks, so be it. Tbf many of us have been crying out out for years to do that more regularly. Beats being a plucky loser!
Tell you what he has done, he's got rid of Tyrone's lump it forward. Think he's had a word with him, and we keep possession better when coming out from the back. Noticed we aren't hanging on to the ball until we are in danger of losing it in bad places. We will make lash ups because some of our back four are not the best on the ball, and Emi drops them in it sometimes, but when we play it with a bit of pace it's getting us forward without losing possession.

I agree and lots of people are trying to justify this football because we are picking up points and it was a breath of fresh air until we lost 3 in a row. Since then it's been this boring slow-motion stuff, which fair play has got us 4 points from two games against teams below us.
We have all seen us play far better under Unai than in the last two games, which have been very difficult to watch. Awful games
That is my take on it, I don't think it's unfair to tell the truth about the last two games this is his way of playing park-the-bus football, this is not the way he wants us to play, this is his way of stopping the rot and getting the points and confidence back until we can get back to how he really wants us to play.
I think we all agree he's the best we've had since BFR but lets not pretend these last two games were how he wants us to play

The flip side to that is if this is how he parks the bus is that not better than watching us defend deep, wave after wave?

I don't want to make too many excuses but yesterday was a game where people are conflating West Hams position with their home form. They're solid at home so that was a good result for us. I get the issue with the Palace game but off the back of 3 straight defeats I kind of get it too.

This weekend is a bigger measure of where we are. Can we put away a poor side who are in trouble at home?

You've totally missed what I was trying to say there mate but ....

The flip side to that is if this is how he parks the bus is that not better than watching us defend deep, wave after wave?

I don't want to make too many excuses but yesterday was a game where people are conflating West Hams position with their home form. They're solid at home so that was a good result for us. I get the issue with the Palace game but off the back of 3 straight defeats I kind of get it too.

This weekend is a bigger measure of where we are. Can we put away a poor side who are in trouble at home?

I'd have taken a point before the game but I feel in the end we were hanging on for a point in a game where as Unai puts it if we had been "braver" we'd have put it to bed.

It's certainly better than the turgid, uncoordinated shite we witnessed under Slippy. There's a clear pattern of play that gets tweaked slightly depending on opposition and the more the players at his disposal, at the moment, get used to it the better we'll be.
Admittedly, at times, it may not be the most entertaining spectacle but it's not going to be an instantaneous ,roaring success. We have to be patient as the rewards will be high, I'm sure.
When you look at the turnaround since he's come in it's been remarkable as the points on the board prove.
3-4 astute signings in the summer will push us on even further.
Guaranteed, under Slippy,we'd of lost that Sunday

There's not much point comparing him to slippy to be honest, like comparing fillet steak with a dog turd. Probably better to compare to MON under the Lerner years and ask can UE take us that one step further under NSWE era .

I still think that once it all comes together we will be really exciting to watch.
I'm just going to enjoy the ride in the meantime.
We have had glimpses along with promising results - add to the fact we are starting to get results at places we have come away with a drubbing. As you say it’s coming together even exciting.

Has anyone seen the Buendia penalty incident ? WM saying it was a pen and my first reaction at the ground was penalty but I might be a teeny bit biased lol.

There's not much point comparing him to slippy to be honest, like comparing fillet steak with a dog turd. Probably better to compare to MON under the Lerner years and ask can UE take us that one step further under NSWE era .

Unai could of won the league with the team MoN had but competition back then was more about the "Top 4" whereas now its the Sky 6 + the Saudi's. Getting 6th would better MoNs 6th place finishes and I am quietly optimistic he can make 4th a reality.
  • How long will Kane last at Spurs?
  • How much damage have Chelsea inflicted upon themselves?
  • Will Liverpools ownership back Klopp like they need to?
  • United are on a comeback trail but how far have they really come?
  • I am far from convinced by Newcastle, they'll sign better players but I don't think this style of football will get them Top 4. Spurs might not even manage it and they have Kane bailing them out every other week.

I'd have taken a point before the game but I feel in the end we were hanging on for a point in a game where as Unai puts it if we had been "braver" we'd have put it to bed.

It really didn't have the feeling of hanging on when watching it there. We had a couple of late opportunities. And there were nerves from the spam fans.

I said to the bloke next to me :lol: that it was next goal wins and that was at about 70 mins. The spam fans felt the same I could sense. They were getting the arse when they were tippy tappy in midfield on 80 mins. I think their team and Moyes were happy to settle for a point and if the win came then so be it. Which is a compliment to us tbh. I think there was an element of us settling as well for sure.

It really didn't have the feeling of hanging on when watching it there. We had a couple of late opportunities. And there were nerves from the spam fans.

I said to the bloke next to me :lol: that it was next goal wins and that was at about 70 mins. The spam fans felt the same I could sense. They were getting the arse when they were tippy tappy in midfield on 80 mins. I think their team and Moyes were happy to settle for a point and if the win came then so be it. Which is a compliment to us tbh. I think there was an element of us settling as well for sure.

I didn't think we looked like scoring scend half. Thankfully they had Ings up front

Has anyone seen the Buendia penalty incident ? WM saying it was a pen and my first reaction at the ground was penalty but I might be a teeny bit biased lol.

Initial reaction was that it was a pen but on replay it didn’t look like it was…a bit like theirs although you could argue the foul on Buendia at first glance,looked more of a pen than Bailey’s push. Just a pity the twit in green was so keen to give the first but not the second. If he’s given ours, you’d think VAR wouldn’t have overturned ours either….not clear/obvious etc but knowing our luck combined with how inconsistent they are…..they probably would have!

They said if West Ham’s was a penalty then so was ours - referee should/could have given both and then VAR turn both down?