West Ham United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

West Ham United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

'I couldn't have asked for a better send off'
FT: West Ham 2-2 Man City

West Ham midfielder Mark Noble, speaking to Sky Sports: "It's brilliant and a fantastic day for me and my family and the team. They are a very special team so to go 2-0 up against them - we didn't have much of the ball. It was nice to walk around and say thank you to the fans for the season.

"We agreed we wouldn't do a sentimental substitution, it was only in the best interest of the team. I got told at half-time by Kevin Nolan that the gaffer would probably need me around 70 minutes and thank you to Lukasz for that great penalty save at the end.

"It has been a long road to this seeming I announced it at the start of the season. What a season it has been for West Ham. It has rejuvenated the whole club. I've got my head around leaving now - I couldn't have asked for a better send off. Very rarely at this level do you get to make your own exit and I've been lucky enough to do that - it is time to spend some time with the family."

'A long day watching Man City have the ball'

West Ham manager David Moyes, speaking to Sky Sports: "I hope some day I’m able to play like Pep’s teams - they are so good with the ball. We weren’t able to get it off them. When you haven’t got the ball you have to try and find a different way and we tried to be compact and play on the counter. It was a long afternoon stood in the technical area watching Manchester City have the ball around our area.

"We had a game plan but we wanted to wrestle a bit more possession and do a bit more with the ball. Every time we got it they hounded us down and got the ball back. We got a couple of balls in behind them and they were good goals.

"I’m disappointed we didn’t maintain our top four or five push but it is still incredible where we are, especially after a season in Europe. It is a great achievement, but I am very lucky with the players I have. It is great credit to the players.

"I did say it would be very difficult to finish sixth again after last season - I can only praise the players for their efforts. The next plan is trying to work out how to get a better team and compete against the Liverpools, Tottenhams, Arsenals and Manchester Citys - we have been more competitive and given them all a game this season."

'A day of mixed emotions'

Manchester City's Jack Grealish, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a day of mixed emotions. I thought we dominated at the start - we knew they’d sit in and try to counter-attack and that’s what they did for both of the goals. We would have taken a draw all day long at half-time. It’s our hands and we’ll recover now and have a big week of training.

"I am flat because of how the game ended. We had the penalty, but at half-time we would have taken it. At full-time we look back and think ‘could we have gone on and won the game?’

"Pep was positive at half-time and said we were playing well. We could have helped the goals but we dominated the game and the ball, but it is mixed emotions walking away.

"It was about time I scored! I’ve wanted to score goals and the manager kept saying to me at half-time to hit the target and I did that. I’ve scored quite a few goals at this ground now I think so hopefully I can come play here a bit more often!

"It’s not about me on the final day or who we’re playing about. It’s about the club and trying to get all three points to win the title. I’ve never had that before and I’m looking to it."

So it goes down to the final day again.

LiverpoolTMfailed will be galvanised and more encouraged by that result. The narrative will be set - can ex-Dipper Gerrard help his old club win the title and move closer to the ‘Historic Quadruple’…….

I fear we will face a similar afternoon to that a decade ago which is probably apt but I personally could do without the tension especially if we are drawing after 75 minutes and our rivals are winning…….:oops:

So it goes down to the final day again.

LiverpoolTMfailed will be galvanised and more encouraged by that result. The narrative will be set - can ex-Dipper Gerrard help his old club win the title and move closer to the ‘Historic Quadruple’…….

I fear we will face a similar afternoon to that a decade ago which is probably apt but I personally could do without the tension especially if we are drawing after 75 minutes and our rivals are winning…….:oops:
They have to get past Southampton first on Tuesday

Coming back from 0-2 down to get the point …..well we would have taken that at HT I guess but it still Feels raw when you get the chance from 12 yards with 5+ minutes left……..oh where is our Yaya Toure when it comes to those moments? Ice in his veins from the spot. I have to say none of our current players exude that sort of confidence when it comes to penalties. Such a surprise that KDB isn;’t more confident in that respect.

The KippaxBlue virew:-

West Ham U 2-2

Definitely a game of two halves. It was a terrible first 45 minutes for City. Two nil down despite having more of the play​

I was reminded of my only other visit to West Ham back in May 1963 when City lost 6-1 and were relegated. More HERE
https://www.rtfract.com/miserymoments.html
Poor defending gave the home side a couple of gift goals on breaks.
City had made 3 changes from the Wolves win with Grealish, Jesus and Mahrez coming in for Gundogan, Sterling and Foden.​

City started OK and Rodri had a good effort deflected for a corner and then they should have had a penalty when Jesus was fouled but nothing given. Then the first disaster came on 24 minutes when Bowen scored following a through ball from Fornals. Just before half time Fabianski saved a free kick taken by De Bruyne for a foul on Grealish. Alas on a break Antonio passed to Bowen and he netted again - disaster! Both goals started with long kicks by Fabianski!​

It is very rare that City are two goals down at the interval so we needed a lot of luck in the second half. We got a bit a few minutes after the restart. A headed clearance by West Ham reached Grealish who cracked the ball at goal from the edge of the box and luckily a defender deflected the ball over the keeper and into the goal 1-2 !​

City were playing with more passion now and moved the ball more quickly. Benardo had an effort saved and this was followed by De Bruyne shooting over at a free kick.​

City did have a few anxious moments when Fernandinho and Zinchenko passed to opponents! The injuries to Walker , Dias and Stones have made the City defence very fragile indeed and we need at least one good new defender this summer.​

City won corner after corner and needed another bit of luck. On 69 minutes Mahrez took a free kick and it looked like the ball would go to the keeper but Coufal headed the ball into his own net and City were level - Incredible!
City put on the pressure and Rodri had a shot from well outside the box saved. Then on 82 minutes Jesus was brought down in the penalty area and VAR came in to help the referee give a penalty. Oh dear and it is Mahrez who is going to take it. He has not got he best of records when it comes to important penalties. Where is Ya Ya Toure when you need him! Well Fabianski saved the poor shot from Mahrez and is this miss going to give Liverpool a chance for the title. We will see next week when we play Aston Villa. We now need to win that game.​

Mahrez has taken 27 penalties and missed 7 of them. Alas City's record of goals from the spot is not all that good.​

City have been down two at half time 52 times and 51 of those were lost so I suppose we should be glad despite our terrible defence we got a point!
Alas De Bruyne did not have the same level of performance as he had in the last two games Even Ederson did not have the best of games for once but I am sure this was because of the back four in front of him! Pep once again made no substitutions. Both Jesus and Grealish did well in the second half and no doubt Foden will return for the Villa match.​