vs Dundee | Page 2 | Vital Football

vs Dundee

Despite Villareal's chances, they can't score yet.....it's 2-0 to Celtic! Berget this time, apparently picks up the ball 30 yards from goal and hits an unstoppable shot high past Sanchez and into the back of the net!

10 mins into the second half and Villareal pull a goal back. No Celtic changes yet. 2 changes for Villareal.

2-0 to Celtic v Villarreal at HT A physics defying header from Kayal, and a shot by Berget from London Road...

Villarreal pull a goal back after a quick counter. 2-1

63 mins and Celtic make a sub. Calvin Miller on, Beram Kayal off. Miller is an attacking player. Able to play anywhere across the front. He's one of the brightest young prospects at the club.

Villareal now 3-2 up and Gerard has his hat-trick. All 3 goals have apparently been almost identical, low ball cut back into the 6 yard box and he puts it into the back of the net. That will be disappointing for the players and coaching staff. Clearly not learning lessons.

Also been a raft of changes for Celtic now.
Zaluska, Boerrigter, Berget, Breslin and Tierney all off.
Fasan, McCart, Higgins, Hendry and McIlduff all on.

80mins and it's now 4-2 to Villareal!

Gerard with a 4th goal.....has someone not taken him out of the game yet? Seriously, why are we not dealing with this guy? Charity and friendly game doesn't matter.....that's an obvious threat that for some reason is not being addressed!

Not making too much of this for obvious reasons but whatever the level or team we put out the worrying thing for me is that we never seem to learn from our mistakes

The game ends 4-2.

That will have been a good learning experience for our young players and a good work out for our fringe players. Villareal are a very good team.
From a footballing perspective, losing 4 goals in the 2nd half and in such a fashion will be disappointing but it's a charity game and that's the important thing here.

I was unable to watch any of the game as I couldn't get a working stream (partly because of my web browser) but it certainly didn't seem like we really had any control of the game. But our players need to know how to play in games like that. We are always going to be up against it in a similar fashion when playing the likes of Barcelona etc.

Extract from CelticFC.net speaking to John Collins after the game.

Although the match ended in defeat for the Hoops, the Celtic legend still found many positives for his team to take away with them on the trip back to Scotland.
He said: “I told them after the game, you saw how they continually passed and move with quality. That’s why we come into training every day - eating, sleeping, breathing football.

“That’s the standard we want to get to. You watch that level then try and replicate it. You learn and go back to the training pitch but that comes with proper work and that’s the standard we want to get to.”

Exactly what it's all about for our young players and the attitude Collins is trying to give them towards football is exactly how it needs to be. Something we don't do enough of, even this season is pass and move. Far too often we pass the ball and just expect someone to do something with it instead passing it and then running on into space. The only space we move into at the moment is back towards our own goal.

There has to be an element of John Collins learning from it as well. Did the players just not do what he asked or did he not tell them to change things in order to stop that threat?

From what I read, Villarreal played a pretty good team, it was the majority of their first team at least I believe.

Lustig has injured his hamstring on international duty with Sweden. Hopefully not too bad but he's likely to be out for a couple of weeks.

Gordon looks set to earn his 41st Scotland cap against England while Fraser Forster looks set to start in goal for England.
Brown and/or Mulgrew could be rested for the game. Strachan may look to use some of the squad who didn't play against Ireland. James Morrison, Barry Bannan and Darren Fletcher all look to get game time. Steven Fletcher is injured so Chris Martin is to start up front while Stevie May should also get to play.

Brown played a great game against Ireland. Nice to see McGeady playing so well, too. Leaving Robbie Keane out was a bad move. I actually don't understand what O'Neill's tactics were. To be honest, I think Strachan outcoached him. We'll get even in Dublin!

Scotland vs England is here!

Just heard that the cost of Scotland's team = £9m compared with England's which is something like £143m.....

Anyway....I'm slightly disappointed by the Scotland team because it's the same apart from Steven Fletcher but I also understand Strachan's reason for keeping it the same. It would be great to get a result against the Auld Enemy so best to play the strongest team plus he says he thought those who started the other night deserved to start the game again tonight as well.

SCOTLAND | Marshall, Whittaker, Robertson, R.Martin, Hanley, Maloney, Mulgrew, Brown (c), C.Martin, Naismith, Anya
SUBS | Gordon, Bryson, Berra, Morrison, Bannan, Dorrans, Greer, D.Fletcher, Burke, Gilks, Russell, May, Macleod, Forsyth, Paterson

ENGLAND | Forster, Clyne, Shaw, Milner, Cahill, Smalling, Wilshere, Downing, Wellbeck, Rooney (c), Oxlade-Chamberlain
SUBS | Foster, Chambers, Henderson, Walcott, Jagielka, Gibbs, Lambert, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Berahino

I dislike both teams. My only observation is that it was probably a good wake-up call for the Scots, who suddenly thought they were unbeatable after a scrappy win over Ireland.

I think it was disappointing because we gave them such a scare last year at Wembley and we've improved even more since then. Ah well, it was kind of what was expected really. It just shows we're a lot better now than we were over the last 10-15 years!

Mulgrew played the whole game and the Ireland game so he might be a bit tired this weekend, he put in 2 very good shifts. I actually kind of hope that Deila rests him.
Brown and Gordon will be fine to play.

The takeaways from the International games for me are as follows:

The Celtic community can take some pride from hosting two high-profile games and the park looked great. Against Ireland, both Brown and Mulgrew played very well. Brown was especially spectacular. Mulgrew looked inspired. I wish he would play that well for Celtic. Ex-Celt Maloney was also terrific. And McGeady played a fabulous game. He was also a force in the second half of the Irish thrashing of my bowys in red, white and blue. I always liked Strachan more than most Celtic supporters and I think he outcoached O'Neill both in terms of tactics and play selection. The Scottish side also played a more disciplined game.

In the Ireland-Scotland match, O'Neill should have played Keane before the 75th minute and really, Stokes should get a shot. Both have far more skill than Shane Long or Jonathan Walters. Both of them are basically target men who can't find the net. He needed a scorer in there and neither one can provide it.

Brown played half a match against England and should be fine to go. I'd also rest Mulgrew. We have plenty of players in midfield who can carry the load. Back to league play. 'Mon the HOOPS!

Latest Celtic News