Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2020-21 (Part Two) - HAVE A READ! | Vital Football

Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2020-21 (Part Two) - HAVE A READ!

Swindon:
In:
Goalkeeper: Joe Fryer, 24 (Middlesbrough)

Wigan:
Out:
Defender: Nathan Byrne, 28 (Derby County)

I am sorry if anyone doesn't like what I have written about their club, but those who know me will be aware that I like facts. The numbers quoted in my preview come straight from Wigan's own financial statements and from comments made by the administrators.

Can a club that is £45m in debt on gates of 10,500 possibly be well-run? Although something strange has gone on with the takeover, I fail to see how that debt can be blamed on Au Yeung Wai Kay, and the debt is the underlying problem.

As for players sold for good money, they got £500,000 for a 15-year-old for starters.

Rochdale:
In:
Striker: Stephen Humphrys, 22 (Southend United)

Wigan:
Out:
Midfielder: Samy Morsy, 29 (Middlesbrough)

So Wigan's Player of the Season is the latest to leave. They have eight first team squad members left including two goalkeepers and a number of players signed on what looks like emergency short-term deals. Their match at Ipswich on Sunday (live on Sky) could be amusing to watch on that basis. I had Morsy as 'One to Watch' on the Season Preview.

EDIT: John Sheridan now confirmed as manager on a short-term contract.

Last edited:
Swindon:
In:
Defender: Jonathan Grounds, 32 (Birmingham City)

Wigan:
In:
Defender: Tom James, 24 (Hibernian – loan to January)

Another player joins Wigan on a short-term deal. Still no sale despite the administrators' promise to the EFL a week ago that a deal was imminent. At what point will the EFL take action if a deal proves not to be imminent? Echoes of Bury here.