Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2020-21 (Part One) | Vital Football

Vital Lincoln City - League One Season Preview 2020-21 (Part One)

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Accrington Stanley, AFC Wimbledon, Blackpool, Bristol Rovers, Burton Albion, Charlton Athletic, Crewe Alexandra, Doncaster Rovers, Fleetwood Town, Gillingham, Hull City and Ipswich Town make up Part One of our 2020-21 Season Preview.

Page One:
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/vital-lincoln-city-league-one-season-preview-2020-21-part-one/

Page Two:
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...son-preview-2020-21-part-one/2/#gallery-slide

Part Two, featuring Wigan Athletic, will be published tomorrow morning!

We’d normally welcome stuff like this Jules. However given we shouldn’t be in this league as we have been decimated by a pair of ***** from Hong Kong, aided by the sports governing body who where ably supported by some shameless whippet botherers from South Yorkshire and are now bring finished off by a pair of talentless half wits masquerading as administrators. As such I don’t think anyone really gives a shit about the upcoming season given everything else going on. No offence intended.

Jules, I'm saddened to see that you've gone down the wholly predictable and ill informed route of "shit run club suffering the inevitable". I accept that you've had to spend a lot of time putting together a piece for every club, but your general assessment is still predictably poor IMO.

This is an extract from a response that I provided a while ago to Charlton fans who actually bothered to enquire as to what had happened to us (disclaimer - I might have got some things wrong, it's an opinion piece not a factual piece).

"The baffling thing about our current plight is that the next owners (IEC) were actually decent for 18 months. Invested in the pitch, made improvements to the stadium, funded the purchase of Euxton training ground, paid all running costs and bills on time, funded the squad improvement and most significantly continued the funding and development of the academy.

Then suddenly, out of the blue, something changed. No one knows what the trigger was but suddenly the money stopped coming in. Wages were due at the end of the month, just like every other month, and it just didn't turn up and from that moment on everything unraveled.
The most bizarre thing is the timing. If the owner (Stanley Choi, via his stooge Au Yeung) had funded the club for 1 / 2 more months we'd have stayed in the championship comfortably, they could have had a fire sale of our first team squad and recouped millions before bailing out, but instead they upped sticks, walked away and cost themselves millions.
It's very frustrating as, despite peoples perceptions and assumptions that we were just yet another "poorly run club that got what it deserved by living beyond it's means", we weren't. We had spent (by our standards) quite a bit last summer on players (8m) but hardly earth shattering figures, we were well inside FFP limits. The players bought all looked shrewd acquisitions as several had within less than 12 months significantly increased in value (Robinson, bought from Everton for 2m, fee agreed with AC Milan for 10m). Similarly, the investment that had been made in the Academy over the previous 8 years was really starting to reap rewards, 3 England youth internationals, several for other countries. Won their division at a canter, promoted to Category 2, got to the quarter final of the FA youth cup narrowly losing to Man Utd. Had a 17 year old break into the first team this season and was supposedly being watched by a lot of prem clubs, so the operating model of buying some fairly established young players with the potential for developing them and thus making future profit and developing a production line of home grown youngsters with a path from academy to the first team was looking very promising and very sustainable for the future of the club.

All that's gone, the lot has been broken up, Our (3 most) promising youngsters have been hoovered up by prem teams (Leeds, Brighton, Spurs) for peanuts, Robinson's gone to Fulham for less than we paid for him, Moore, Williams, Marshall, Lowe etc all gone for a fraction of their real value, Euxton gone, Cook gone, Youth coach gone (to Chelsea), all other assets up for grabs. if we survive at all it'll be a complete reset and will take years to recover, if ever. "

I echo what has been said above. I appreciate the effort you've taken, but your summary of our events has taken a very predictable and ill informed path (as Arthur explained). Usually this kind of thing would generate great interest and debate, but right now I don't think anyone has any interest in how any other club in league 1 fancies their chances this year, or even how they view ours. Anyway, ignore us moaning buggers and I hope you get a better reaction elsewhere

A well formatted review - BUT a couple of things as already mention by the others that are way off the mark:

Their last published accounts for 2018-19 showed a wage spend of £19.4 million against revenue of just £11.5 million

"the club could no longer sustain a Premier League operation with EFL revenue."

What is the average wage spend for a Premier League club - no where near £20m?

and

The majority of the big-name players departed, some for good money:

Who did we get good money for?