Village Green Rovers | Vital Football

Village Green Rovers

They interviewed Vince on Radio 5Live this evening about this carbon neutral stuff and his funny food.Got a bit lost when he was describing his satellite controlled lawn mower !
Bit of a dilemma this Saturday whether to hope the fishy folk win or the carbon neutrals. Come down to a 0-0.

Agree. However their unsustainable financial approach is baffling.
Though as someone who has spent many years working for energy companies, I've come round to the view that spending the profits from renewable energy generation on football is inherently more sustainable than giving the profits from burning fossil fuels to shareholders.

Actually, should they continue to maintain their League membership for say a decade & longer, it is very possible that Mr Vince will more than end up financially neutral or even in profit. And meanwhile it IS his own cash that he's choosing to spend on football.

Though as someone who has spent many years working for energy companies, I've come round to the view that spending the profits from renewable energy generation on football is inherently more sustainable than giving the profits from burning fossil fuels to shareholders.

So the carbon neutral soya milk that we endured- did that float across on the ocean on a sail boat or a smoke belching container ship? All this vegan stuff and the ingredients have racked up thousands of miles on fuel burning transport. Benefits somewhat exaggerated for PR purposes

It would be worth the Club talking to Vince and just finding out what the relative costs and benefits of solar panels, water harvesting from the roofs, and a wind turbine might be.

Granted, if we are moving stadiums it is unlikely to be a worthwhile investment but it won't hurt to have the information.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever sustainable about spending millions to parachute a village team into the League. How are people still falling for this bullshit?

It would be worth the Club talking to Vince and just finding out what the relative costs and benefits of solar panels, water harvesting from the roofs, and a wind turbine might be.

Granted, if we are moving stadiums it is unlikely to be a worthwhile investment but it won't hurt to have the information.

Wind turbines in an urban or even semi-urban environment are none starter for a whole variety of reasons.

Bizarrely, since the commercial FiT was [purposely] made uneconomic the price of solar PV has dropped and paybacks have started coming into the tolerable range.

Rain water harvesting for irrigation purposes is a no brainer, but is little use for any thing else due to hygiene issues and maintenance costs.

The best and most economic way would be to install CHP, which gives electricity for the price of gas [known as the spark price] and effectively free heat. But, one does need a constant heat load. Sport facilities are generally good for CHP particularly those that have swimming pools and good cooling and ventilation loads.

Last edited:
Actually, should they continue to maintain their League membership for say a decade & longer, it is very possible that Mr Vince will more than end up financially neutral or even in profit. And meanwhile it IS his own cash that he's choosing to spend on football.

I'll bet you £50 now that he will never recover what he spends on the football club.

Meanwhile, a couple of weeks ago I got a few pelters for suggesting too many people are obsessed with this club as if they are some sort of rival. The thread title itself is a dead giveaway, I find it rather puerile. I think nothing of FGR, and frankly I'm pleased their fans have had their expectations exceeded in a Chelsea, Man City, Bournemouth, Wolves sort of way.

Personally I have no taste for Vince's crackpot eco warrior schtick. But as for financial sustainability? Meh.

In recent years Forest Green has lost £2-2.5 million per season.

But Tranmere lost £1.7m in 2016/17.

If a club with the most (natural) resources in the National League can overspend by £1.7 million in a year, then why shouldn't clubs like Forest Green (or Salford or Borehamwood) do the same?

In Division Four, Notts County also lost about £1.7m that year, Luton lost over £1m.

So where's the level playing field exactly?

Agreed (aside from the wind turbines, which will be a non-starter).

Should be ample scope in a new build to incorporate as many money saving aspects as possible (I'm thinking money first of all, rather than environmentally friendly. Goes hand in hand to a point I imagine).

Aside from LED's, collecting rain water and solar panels, there must be tonnes more that most don't even realise?

Any environmental savings are probably undone by players in fuel and emissions? I bet the players' car park is full of range rovers and 2.0litre plus engine BMWs, Mercs and the like? Unlikely that this will change unless Vince insists on "you now play for FGR and from now on you are to drive a smart car or Renault Twizy"?