Villa v Wolves Match Thread - | Page 25 | Vital Football

Villa v Wolves Match Thread -

Marv will be fine mate, just like Luiz is now showing some were douting him before the break.

I wish I could see something, anything, in him... he looks hopelessly out of his depth. Don’t even think he’s got a footballing brain. Never thought that with Luiz. He always showed something, goals and touches of quality.

I wish I could see something, anything, in him... he looks hopelessly out of his depth. Don’t even think he’s got a footballing brain. Never thought that with Luiz. He always showed something, goals and touches of quality.

I feel like that with Hourihane and he's definitely reached his peak at 29.

It's like Wesley i see nothing in him but I do in Davis, I couldn't believe the clown took him off today and replaced him with a winger to supply crosses to who?

Yep like I said Mings had dropped off and was blocking Nyland's view rather than attacking the ball, no way he could have seen that ball until it was past Mings

Talking of attacking balls, why does Mings never seem to even get close or attack a ball at the other end?

I don’t know how many goals JT scored in his career but he must be one of the top scoring centre halves, so surely he can coach this a bit.

My mate said this not me, but as a lower league team you’d think we practice set pieces. Under the MON years, most of our goals were set pieces - I’m all for trying to play football, but as a lower league team we aren’t going to dominate play so let’s at least try our hand at set pieces.

Last edited:
Talking of attacking balls, why does Mings never seem to even get close or attack a ball at the other end?

I don’t know how many goals JT scored in his career but he must be one of the top scoring centre halves, so surely he can coach this a bit.

My mate said this not me, but as a lower league team you’d think we practice set pieces. Under the MON years, most of our goals were set pieces - I’m for trying to play football, but as a lower league team we aren’t going to dominate play so let’s at least try our hand at set pieces.

Most goals come from set-pieces or second ball from them, more than come from keep ball

This disappointed me, we had the ball on the edge of wolves’ box with Luiz, his only option was Konsa and it went all the back to Mings then Taylor. I’d rather play a hopeful diagonal in the Channel than keep playing it wide
They must be being coached to play it all the way back, but its the safety first, keep the ball mentality at all cost that kills us.
We dont have the quality to hold the ball for any lenght of time, and at the end of it there has to be a killer pass.
We have Jack who can make that, but all too often there is no runner for him to make it to.
Its as 57 says, the opposition just sit off us in the knowledge we will give them the ball without even making a tackle.
There has to be an eagerness to get forward to support an attack. There is none, there is no pace and everything is done at walking pace as if we are Brazil with unlimited ability to walk it in the net.
I dont think you can write off the two up front on one showing, but if we are going to play it attacks have to be supported.
I know the Championship is lower quality, but we broke quick in that league and I dont understand why Smith thinks he can get away with this walk ball style he is hell bent on playing, against far better defenders.

Removed some posts. Come on, this is a match thread, no need to have a link about Smith being sacked in the Smith thread then putting it in here as well, where the same things will be said.

They must be being coached to play it all the way back, but its the safety first, keep the ball mentality at all cost that kills us.
We dont have the quality to hold the ball for any lenght of time, and at the end of it there has to be a killer pass.
We have Jack who can make that, but all too often there is no runner for him to make it to.
Its as 57 says, the opposition just sit off us in the knowledge we will give them the ball without even making a tackle.
There has to be an eagerness to get forward to support an attack. There is none, there is no pace and everything is done at walking pace as if we are Brazil with unlimited ability to walk it in the net.
I dont think you can write off the two up front on one showing, but if we are going to play it attacks have to be supported.
I know the Championship is lower quality, but we broke quick in that league and I dont understand why Smith thinks he can get away with this walk ball style he is hell bent on playing, against far better defenders.

:agree:

It’s funny how sometimes we pump it long to a lone striker, then other times when there is a more calculated direct ball forward we are coaching our players out of it.

The way we try and build it up slowly, watching the opposition get back into a defensive set up is so easy to play against. I could manage an opposition team to a win against Villa and I know nothing about professional football.

:agree:

It’s funny how sometimes we pump it long to a lone striker, then other times when there is a more calculated direct ball forward we are coaching our players out of it.

The way we try and build it up slowly, watching the opposition get back into a defensive set up is so easy to play against. I could manage an opposition team to a win against Villa and I know nothing about professional football.
Yes I am sure you could because as an opposition manager you would only need to scout one game or watch one video to know exactly what to expect.

Playing at virtual walking pace isn't going to get us in behind defences. It's like watching a poor chess match, telegraphing passes while our players fail to run into space or try to get beyond defenders. We are a joy to defend against.

What we have not been doing as you mentioned above are exactly what I saw Brentford doing vs WBA yesterday. As soon as one of their players in midfield got the ball, immediately, the person who played the ball and those around the pass receiver ran into available space providing immediate and multiple options to the person in possession to pass the ball to. We are absolutely clueless and play as if none of our players know how to play the game.

Targett was £17m?!?! :slap:

Only thing I like about Targett is that although he looks like Sherman, his girlfriend is absolutely stunning. :wub: If she’s struggling for a seat there’s always one spare by me in L8

Last edited:
Yes I am sure you could because as an opposition manager you would only need to scout one game or watch one video to know exactly what to expect.
Smith has watched every game we played before lockdown . Fat lot of good that did. I see he whining about the number of games we've played post covid. This against a wolves team who started the season last July.

Dean gave up playing the Dean Smith way before Christmas. When that failed he was out of his depth and comfort zone and the descent began in earnest.

In hindsight, the biggest mistake made was when we chose this incompetent man thinking that the Brentford way was due to the Smith way, and as we have now found out that the Smith way is almost like the Bruce way !

Think the base fee was about 10m, still too much of course. The rest is add ons presumably tied to appearances and such. I think he's bloody useless though.

Think the deal was undisclosed but it's generally thought to be in the £10m-£11.5m, possibly rising to £17m in future with add-ons.