Villa v Sunderland, Tuesday 21st Nov. 7:45pm kick off | Page 7 | Vital Football

Villa v Sunderland, Tuesday 21st Nov. 7:45pm kick off

Pride of Lions - 22/11/2017 13:40

We're not finishing the opposition off for me. 2-0 becomes 2-1 and it's all to play for. Ok, we've managed to 'hold-on' but it would be nice to have a bit of breathing space every now and again. I know we have injuries, but January is so important, we certainly need another striker in.

This sums it up for me. I like to think I’m fairly level headed in my expectations, I don’t think you can go all out attack all the time however our tactics are very much ‘nudge in front and contain’ if we nick another on the break it’s fine but we don’t show ambition to put teams to the sword.

I wanted Bruce as manager, I still want him here - right man at right time. His record speaks for itself and I’ve long argued that football is not ‘entertainment’ it’s sport. It’s about results and Bruce is delivering. I don’t think it’s unreasonable however to suggest that we have enough ability in the squad to be a little more positive without jepodising the one or two goal lead we have as opposed to defending a slender lead and risking being caught out by one fluke goal / dodgy penalty etc...

Interesting how this Steve Bruce debate has developed over the past few months. Initially he was being slated after a few poor results at the start of the season, tactically inept, negative, dinosaur tactics etc....with many suggesting he should have been sacked. Now, just two months later, we're fourth and the debate is how the tactically inept, negative dinosaur may be able to get us promoted but won't be able to keep us in the premier league. I expect if the useless git gets us promoted and keeps us in the premier league with a mid table finish the debate will move on to how unsuitable he is to take us into the top six. For some I don't think he'll ever win them over. Last night was crap but we won....the mentality at the club is changing. At this point in time I couldn't care less about who could lead us to glory in the Premiership. Let's get there first....it won't always be pretty, like last night, sometimes it might be disappointing like Sheffield Weds, sometimes it'll be bloody good like QPR, Norwich, Barnsley.....I can remember it being much the same in 1974/75 under Sir Ron....it wasn't all a bed of roses but in the same way, Bruce is starting to lay the foundations so severely lacking over the past few years. All things considered, the 'useless one' ain't doing such a bad job.....

Langoe66 - 22/11/2017 22:40

Interesting how this Steve Bruce debate has developed over the past few months. Initially he was being slated after a few poor results at the start of the season, tactically inept, negative, dinosaur tactics etc....with many suggesting he should have been sacked. Now, just two months later, we're fourth and the debate is how the tactically inept, negative dinosaur may be able to get us promoted but won't be able to keep us in the premier league. I expect if the useless git gets us promoted and keeps us in the premier league with a mid table finish the debate will move on to how unsuitable he is to take us into the top six. For some I don't think he'll ever win them over. Last night was crap but we won....the mentality at the club is changing. At this point in time I couldn't care less about who could lead us to glory in the Premiership. Let's get there first....it won't always be pretty, like last night, sometimes it might be disappointing like Sheffield Weds, sometimes it'll be bloody good like QPR, Norwich, Barnsley.....I can remember it being much the same in 1974/75 under Sir Ron....it wasn't all a bed of roses but in the same way, Bruce is starting to lay the foundations so severely lacking over the past few years. All things considered, the 'useless one' ain't doing such a bad job.....

Good post, young man :1:

Been away on business, totally missed the game, very very happy with the win .
Bruce haters need to get a grip, the man is doing a superb job in difficult circumstances and is turning this club around .

BodyButter - 22/11/2017 03:32

Oh, and if you think we don't play attacking football, check out Adomah's first chance against QPR. Big Chris makes an interception on the edge of our box. He flicks it out to Mutton who surges forward and pings it up to Onomah who flicks it to Davis. Davis takes one touch to control it (it came in a bit behind him) and then he slid it into the path of Adomah who hit it first time (and missed).

Do we that consistently for 90 minutes week in week out? You're right we do not do that and we dont even do it every other week but I can accept that because we're winning and I think most of us are happy to be winning.

What I do hate is the happy clappers who spin everything back to positive under Bruce. (I am joking, remember the days anyone who supported Lambert was a happy clapper. Dark days those were).

In all seriousness tho it feels like only a handful of us fall into the mid-ground where we see Bruces flaws but also what has been able to do. Its either:
(A) - Bruce keeps fluking a win, he did nothing right we got lucky.
(B) - Bruce sets us up perfectly but you can't expect X and Y to always happen, basically an excuse for everything.

The reality of this league is that you have to keep momentum because things can very quickly escalate if you don't put together results. Only a team with quality and not just quality but a depth of quality can sustain a good level of football consistently every match day. Therefore Bruce sets us up to be difficult with the knowledge we have the quality to snatch results, its as simple as that for me.

Where I draw my criticism is using the squad and a genuine lack of modern ideas. He isnt dinosaur but he is a throw back to your Fergusons of this world a guy who man manages but doesnt go out on the training pitch to drill out his vision. Bruce is doing a good job but he had me very worried and at one point I felt if he didnt get 3 results it was over.

Given our recent history being upset with where we are is a choice because a lot of what I see are things that will not change so you either accept it or say you want a new manager.

Trying to work out why anyone would have voted for Elmo in the MOTM poll.

He was only on the pitch for 5 minutes and touched the ball about twice !!!!

sirdennis - 23/11/2017 09:20

I imagine it's the same person who voted for Westwood every time when he was here :3:

At the end of the day we won a banana skin game. Yes it was a poor performance but we won.

I am probably one of SB's biggest doubters but even I can't criticise what's going on at the moment.

Yes he's made lots of mistakes and been out-thought by other managers, but seems to have learnt from these mistakes. I think he's realised that times have changed and he's had to change. An example is dropping his ill fated 3 at the back and go 4-5-1.

Christmas will be interesting as hopefully having a big squad will give us an advantage over other clubs. Wolves are flying at the moment but lets see how a cold miserable winter goes down with their Portuguese contigent.

First and second place will definitely be up for grabs.

The best one was the individual who continually voted for Gabby in every game even if it was only after a couple of minutes as a sub and I think we all could easily guess who that was :17:

Thomas Holte - 23/11/2017 20:16

The best one was the individual who continually voted for Gabby in every game even if it was only after a couple of minutes as a sub and I think we all could easily guess who that was :17:

Remember that 'girl' who came.on here for a bit signing the praises of NRC in every post despite him bring shit and not getting his game at the time?