Villa Park | Page 59 | Vital Football

Villa Park

They have got a 12m catchment area to our 1m or so. this is the problem we don't get tourists to Birmingham, so we rely on family hand-downs, we don't even pick up the locals anymore they all "support" the Sky 6 or Man Utd and Liverpool really.
Divide the London catchment by the number of clubs and Spurs wouldn’t have any more potential than Villa, nor did they historically. Man U have 75000 because they had 26 years of winning everything. I remember when they were relegated from the old division one with gates of less than 30,000. I can remember being in a 65,000 VP gate when we were crap (beat Southampton 2-1) and my dad was in the record 76,000 against Derby. It’s all about winning and wining in style. Do that and 50,000 will be easy.

Divide the London catchment by the number of clubs and Spurs wouldn’t have any more potential than Villa, nor did they historically. Man U have 75000 because they had 26 years of winning everything. I remember when they were relegated from the old division one with gates of less than 30,000. I can remember being in a 65,000 VP gate when we were crap (beat Southampton 2-1) and my dad was in the record 76,000 against Derby. It’s all about winning and wining in style. Do that and 50,000 will be easy.
Depends on the pricing mate, they are starting to think Villa fans are like London fans and we aren't.
Yes, I get we have had the odd big gate but this is the age of illegal streaming and Sky TV. people don't suddenly start shelling out £50 to watch a football game every 2 weeks . It's hard to attract new fans or rather armchair fans who no longer go.
A game to me is 5 hours out of my day a game to an armchair fan is two hours.
It's not just the money it requires getting off their arses and putting themselves out and I don't see it happening at £50 a pop
I seriously hope the club have researched this better than they did the Corporate stuff they thought we the fans wanted.

Depends on the pricing mate, they are starting to think Villa fans are like London fans and we aren't.
Yes, I get we have had the odd big gate but this is the age of illegal streaming and Sky TV. people don't suddenly start shelling out £50 to watch a football game every 2 weeks . It's hard to attract new fans or rather armchair fans who no longer go.
A game to me is 5 hours out of my day a game to an armchair fan is two hours.
It's not just the money it requires getting off their arses and putting themselves out and I don't see it happening at £50 a pop
I seriously hope the club have researched this better than they did the Corporate stuff they thought we the fans wanted.
Yes agree pricing it right is key. They’ll soon find that out.

Yep,Wicked Messenger, 100%.

Yep, Dad was in the Derby crowd. Made the mistake of having a pint or two in the pub before the game. Big mistake, stuck in a rammed Holte End and bursting for a Jimmy. Time to go all seater?

Once upon a time, long long ago when I used to go to Wales matches the crowds were tiny 12-15,000 then someone had the brilliant idea of halving the price and giving away tickets to schools. The crowds went to 30-40,000 and the atmosphere went from morgue to excited + I would guess a lot of those kids became fans.
Elasticity of Demand was something I remember from school [1960s] it's not rocket science.
The direct income from 30-40,000 at 50% of the 12-15,000 tickets is much higher obviously + there are the add on sales and future support to consider.

Of course they stuck the prices back up when Bale was in his pomp and the crowds are back down again now.

Just read something interesting re the new North stand. Apparently the end bay of the current Trinity is also being demolished to allow it to connect to the new North stand. It sounds like it will be a sweep round to get to the Doug Ellis. I'm also presuming it will be designed to connect to the new Doug Ellis when it's built?

The good news is it will eliminate the wind tunnel the Trinity to North stand creates when the wind blows that way lol. Us old un,s in the Upper Trinity feel the cold.

Just read something interesting re the new North stand. Apparently the end bay of the current Trinity is also being demolished to allow it to connect to the new North stand. It sounds like it will be a sweep round to get to the Doug Ellis. I'm also presuming it will be designed to connect to the new Doug Ellis when it's built?

The good news is it will eliminate the wind tunnel the Trinity to North stand creates when the wind blows that way lol. Us old un,s in the Upper Trinity feel the cold.
Don't you have heated seats in the Upper Trinity then??

:fish:

Well not wanting to sound greedy but once they have done phase one, phase 2 should be to box in the holte end, those winds can cut you in two. Glass partitioning like they have at Ibrox..

looks like the north stand is on pause.

ttps://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-heck-delivers-major-villa-28315873

I thought it was all sounding a bit good to be true. I’d love a renovated Villa Park, even if it’s a season of disruption, but perhaps short term profits are more important?

The bit that I don’t understand is what does this mean for our euro 2028 commitments, if there were any? We’d have one of, if not, the smaller capacity stadia if this is on a long pause.

Last edited:
It did cross my mind that it would be typical that what promises to be stellar period for us on the pitch could only be watched by a reduced crowd.

Where this leaves us for the Euro's I don't know. Guaranteed to be bought up at the FAB meeting tomorrow though.

so just need to be shite for a while before redevelopment -
this heck fella doesn't seem to like other people plans.

guess he'll have to put the prices up considerably to compensate for the smaller capacity

euros off I guess ?

I kind of agree with not having reduced capacity for when we're potentially going to be playing Champions League football and trying to boost our profile, which has been our dream since Randy Lerner.
I was wondering about this too, would be such a shame. Euros are 2028, maybe they think they can hold out longer but still get it done in time. Not sure what the exact regulations are for the international stuff...

It’s not all about the euros though is it. Makes sense to me that another 10k fans on match days makes the operation of the area too difficult. Also who believed the 30k waiting list story? With even more games going to TV a further 10k seats & £100m cost is just too high. Purslow maybe followed another vanity project.