Villa at Elland Road, Friday 1st December | Page 9 | Vital Football

Villa at Elland Road, Friday 1st December

Credit to Bruce for the subs but why so long ? I may be in the minority but I don't see anything in Hourihane playing in a defensive roll but he is learning to point now . Onomah should have been off at HT along with Hourihane and possibly snodgrass.

As for the performance if we hadn't conceded we'd have been saying we were ok , when we in fact have been pretty shite for ages but it's overlooked because we have scrambled a a win .

Not playing well and still coming home with a point at elland Road is a good result .
If we ever do start playing well we will cane someone but I think this is as good as its going to get .

We seem to make it up as we go along if you know what I mean

Stephen Jay Hawkings - 1/12/2017 22:03

Melon Donkey - 1/12/2017 21:34

Davis has been very poor.

It's too much to ask to be relying on him, but because of injury we have no choice.

His holdup play hasn't been as good lately and some of his touches are off. Be great to give him a rest, but we have no one else.

Not caning the kid at all.

But his performance tonight from the off was just poor decision after decision. Nothing to do with tiredness, it couldn't have been.

Trouble is there is no one else. It's an issue over this next month.

When they got the second "goal" I thought "good night". Thankfully, it was properly disallowed and, in the end, we might have nicked it. We certainly showed plenty of character.
A draw at Elland Road on a raw December night is not to be sniffed at.

Despite everything Leeds had one shot on target in 95 mins obviously that was the goal .

I agree Davis made some poor choices but he will learn but we don't have another Target man at the club so not much we can do about it apart from encourage the Lad .

I'm hoping Bruce will practice what he preaches now and give Lansbury and Grealish a start .
As others have said Onomah isn't our player and thinks he can make it at Spurs , well good luck with that one young man because you are lucky to be in the Villa first team !

I think Hourihane was hooked the moment he hoofed the ball out of play right at the kick off for the second half. Bruce was fuming.

Cant't wait for JPA's Lansbury love in. :4:

Thought Taylor was vastly improved from the previous couple of games. And get this.....

Whelan is looking increasingly like a key player in the team!. He was excellent, again.

I have to agree Whelan is our best midfielder by some distance , which shows how poor the rest are . He's suited to this league he loves a battle and certainly wins most of them . It's up to the Grealishes and Lansbury's now to outshine the old fellow and then we will be flying .

Yes Taylor did very well as did McCafu who was provoked for much of the game .

We didn’t fold, that’s the difference between this season and the last one. Also players like Lansbury playing for their place in the starting line up. First half was shocking, but they turned it around and could have nicked it. Agree with 57, hourihane is not a defensive midfielder. Not sure what he is, to be honest. Pleased with a point, though. A difficult place to go.

Hourihane's a deep lying attacking midfielder, if that makes sense. Not sure it does!

Questions: does Bruce persevere with Samba or give Elphick a go? Strikes me Samba is the weak link against a strong attack. Does Bruce drop Onomah and play Grealish instead? I think he has to. Grealish can create for others and would help other players like Davis, Adomah and Snodgrass. Is it time to give Snodgrass a rest and stick Elmo on the wing? Does Lansbury get a go and if so in place of whom? Hourihane?

I've been out and had to rely on a mate to keep me up to speed on events so I can't comment on the performance but I gather we got a draw after being behind at Leeds.
An away point that could be vital at the end of the season. Good for me.

Much better second half even if it was short of the quality we have shown

Fair play to Grealish, I have been his biggest critic but that is two games now he has come on and made a massive difference. Hopefully this is the start of his fulfilled potential.

Motm was clearly Whelan, god knows what tgat commentator was on all night, he must have been robbed and sexually assaulted in Aston !!. Apparently the goal was out of nowhere even though we had 74pc possession 2nd half at that point.

All in all,we didnt play well, we had the much better chances (Adomah missing two good ones) and still looked comfortable away to a side that will probably be in the top 6.

We may have dropped 2 points to Cardiff tonight but I think longer term that point will be a much more valuable result. If you want promotion, 90% of home games should be a given, 70% of away games should be a given, the team going up will be the ones who get the most points from the teams around them, and that was a valuable point tonight.

Only negatives were Onomah, Snodgrass and Davis who offered nothing. Tge first two can now be replaced but we really do need an option quickly for Keinan. An 19yr old kid cannot carry a club as big as ours, and we shouldnt expect him to.

Maybe play Grealish Adomah and Snodgrass as a front 3 v Millwall.

Just back. Well the shit house was a shit house , lights not working in the toilets from the 60s. The game , they started brightly and through the 1st half Hourriane and onamah were passenger's, 2nd half we competed. The young lad up front has been great but needs help. Three wins from the next 5 games would be great .
Utv.

Looked like Lansbury had lost some weight and also looked far more mobile and prepared to cover ground - all to the good.

Says it all when I explain it is freezing in Spain at the mo (currently 5 degrees.

Yet I chose to watch the game on a screen outside, freezing my tits off, rather than go inside and sit with aload of Leeds fans. Before the match they didnt even attempt to speak to me never mind welcome me - you just know what would have happened when we scored and they had beer in them.

Horrible, nasty club and fans, and anyone who says "Leeds deserve to bee in tge Premier League" have clearly never had the misgortune of going there.

Hopefully all our fans had a safe tripback.

Watched it on tv and thought it was a fair result. Leeds were well on top first half but we shaded the second. Kind of feel we let them off the hook though, at the time we scored we were all over them and could’ve forced that advantage into a win. That said, good point at a tough ground.

For me Whelan was Villa’s MOTM - does the ugly stuff brilliantly and kept us in it.

I do think we gave them far too much respect first half - honestly think we’re capable of taking the game to the likes of Leeds instead of setting up to counter-attack.

A great point earned with a gutsy second half display. Nice to see Hutton and Snodgrass battling in the second half. Players from the bench also adding something which we will need over the busy festive period.

Great to see Lansbury get a goal, you could see how much it meant to him. Perhaps all he needed was a haircut. Like many on here I'm all for him and Jack to replace Hourihane and Onomha next week. Hourihane looks lost most of the time, doesn't create enough or get in enough tackles. I think Onomha is a good player but whatever he may think he isn't suited to that number 10 role. He doesn't provide a link between the forward and the midfield leading to him and Davis both becoming horribly isolated. He should be playing where we've been playing Hourihane as I see him as a proper box to box midfielder.

Davis had an off game tonight but we don't give the lad much help sometimes do we. Yes he's good in the air and can turn a punted clearance into a good pass but we need to support him more and get bodies around him. Mix it up a bit and get the ball to his feet more often.

crimsondonkey - 2/12/2017 00:19

Looked like Lansbury had lost some weight and also looked far more mobile and prepared to cover ground - all to the good.

Exactly what i thought. Grealish and Lansbury look in a lot better condition now.

All the stats from Leeds United (1) vs (1) Aston Villa, Elland Road, 1/12/17 Att: 30,547

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523888">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Melon Donkey - 1/12/2017 22:51

Cant't wait for JPA's Lansbury love in. :4:

Credit where it's due, he looked a different player (not just the haircut :3: ) for the period when he came on.

I'm still no fan of his, but he did well last night.

That was very hard to type.