Vaulks to Cardiff | Vital Football

Vaulks to Cardiff

Not sure he's a Premiership standard player

Is John Fleck a Premier League standard player? Is Ollie Norwood? How would we know?

Good long throw tho :yes:

I think this works against him with some of our fans, who seem to have developed a Wendy-esque snobbery when it comes to players from "lesser" clubs like Rotherham. There appears to be an incorrect belief that this is the only thing he has going for him. He finished 13th in the Sky Championship Power Rankings last season (one place below Norwood) and helped himself to 8 goals and 7 assists in a relegated team who didn't score that many. He has also just won his first caps for Wales. I think he would have been a good signing for the £2m price that is floating around, but there are other midfielders out there who would also be good signings so I won't lose any sleep over it. He'll be a good player for Cardiff next season though.

Premiership standard but which of the 3 divisions in the Premiership. Top 6 no Vaulks is not that standard but neither are any of the players here now or any we can afford. Established middle division, no he is not that standard. Bottom 4-5 teams i would argue that a box to box energetic midfielder who can score goals would be a good buy at £2 million and worth a punt on potential alone. We need to spend the majority of our budget on a better strike force which means that we will have to gamble on potential with only areas of the team. Wilder has a very difficult balancing act and i appreciate he cannot afford to waste a penny but Vaulks to me is a calculated risk worth taking and one where if it did not work out we would at least get our money back.

Premiership standard but which of the 3 divisions in the Premiership. Top 6 no Vaulks is not that standard but neither are any of the players here now or any we can afford. Established middle division, no he is not that standard. Bottom 4-5 teams i would argue that a box to box energetic midfielder who can score goals would be a good buy at £2 million and worth a punt on potential alone. We need to spend the majority of our budget on a better strike force which means that we will have to gamble on potential with only areas of the team. Wilder has a very difficult balancing act and i appreciate he cannot afford to waste a penny but Vaulks to me is a calculated risk worth taking and one where if it did not work out we would at least get our money back.

I agree with this. I definitely think Vaulks is a better option than some of the other names that our fans are throwing out there. For example, what is with the Joe Rothwell obsession over on S2? He seems to be a bang average Championship midfielder to me?

Looked like a Warnock player at the Lane. I'll expect to see a few reds and yellows next to his name.

Vaulks is a player who can add energy and bite to a midfield. His stats, in what was an agricultural Millers side, were impressive.

I agree with this. I definitely think Vaulks is a better option than some of the other names that our fans are throwing out there. For example, what is with the Joe Rothwell obsession over on S2? He seems to be a bang average Championship midfielder to me?
yeah for that kind of money it would have been a good gamble but it may indicate that chris is aiming a bit higher in his pursuit of a midfielder

Is John Fleck a Premier League standard player? Is Ollie Norwood? How would we know?

I trust my eyes, my instinct and from my basic coaching skills I form an opinion

My opinion is as I've stated

Just to add to that. It was rumoured CW was also interested in him last season. We haven't heard that he has pursued his interest in him for his Prem squad, so we'll never know I suppose. Perhaps CW hasn't carried on his interest so that may or may not endorse that opinion. Vaulks has remained in the Championship with Cardiff and that's the standard at which I place him

To add further to that, many Rotherham fans on their board don't see him as making the step up to the Prem either. Now everyone, their Grandma, me and even CW may well all be wrong, but my instinct tells me I doubt it

Last edited:
I trust my eyes, my instinct and from my basic coaching skills I form an opinion

My opinion is as I've stated

Sure, and with regard to Fleck and Norwood it is one that I share. I'm just saying that we don't know and we won't until the season is under way. I've seen something in Vaulks that suggests to me that he could be a decent player in a better team than Rotherham, but it's fine if you don't think that.

Just to add to that. It was rumoured CW was also interested in him last season. We haven't heard that he has pursued his interest in him for his Prem squad, so we'll never know I suppose. Perhaps CW hasn't carried on his interest so that may or may not endorse that opinion. Vaulks has remained in the Championship with Cardiff and that's the standard at which I place him

To add further to that, many Rotherham fans on their board don't see him as making the step up to the Prem either. Now everyone, their Grandma, me and even CW may well all be wrong, but my instinct tells me I doubt it

A fair point regarding the lack of rumours. If we were interested then I imagine that he would have already signed for us, and that is fine. I also trust CW to target the players that he feels will improve us, but had Vaulks been one of them then I wouldn't have had a problem with that either.

Sure, and with regard to Fleck and Norwood it is one that I share. I'm just saying that we don't know and we won't until the season is under way. I've seen something in Vaulks that suggests to me that he could be a decent player in a better team than Rotherham, but it's fine if you don't think that.

A fair point regarding the lack of rumours. If we were interested then I imagine that he would have already signed for us, and that is fine. I also trust CW to target the players that he feels will improve us, but had Vaulks been one of them then I wouldn't have had a problem with that either.
we would probably have been in for him if we had stayed in championship but think we will be looking for better now were in the prem think dowell might be brought back in and i think mason mount would be a good loan signing

we would probably have been in for him if we had stayed in championship but think we will be looking for better now were in the prem think dowell might be brought back in and i think mason mount would be a good loan signing
Can only be one or tother if hendo is coming back I’d take mount over dowell but seeing as we had him last season it would more than likely be dowell

If I was CW I would be on the phone to Pep Guardiola telling him that Phil Foden would benefit more from playing regularly than sitting on the bench for most of the season, especially for a team who plays attacking football. It probably wouldn't work, but he looks perfect for the CAM position in our system. Mason Mount would be decent as well, but I'm not sure we should use a loan slot up on Dowell. Nice lad who played a part in our promotion, but he ultimately couldn't get Duffy out of the team last season and likely wouldn't this season either.

If I was CW I would be on the phone to Pep Guardiola telling him that Phil Foden would benefit more from playing regularly than sitting on the bench for most of the season, especially for a team who plays attacking football. It probably wouldn't work, but he looks perfect for the CAM position in our system. Mason Mount would be decent as well, but I'm not sure we should use a loan slot up on Dowell. Nice lad who played a part in our promotion, but he ultimately couldn't get Duffy out of the team last season and likely wouldn't this season either.
Shy bairns get no sweets. Worth a shot, what have we got to lose?

Agree sir rod think our style of football would suit foden perfectly i would take mount before dowell however chris has used him as cover for enda so who knows its tricky only being able to have 1 more loan player if hendo is coming back on loan

Shy bairns get no sweets. Worth a shot, what have we got to lose?

Hopefully our Chris bonded with Pep at the LMA awards. If nothing else, the fact that he beat Pep to manager of the year despite the fact that Man City won the domestic treble must show him what a good manager CW is.

Agree sir rod think our style of football would suit foden perfectly i would take mount before dowell however chris has used him as cover for enda so who knows its tricky only being able to have 1 more loan player if hendo is coming back on loan

I'd be disappointed if Dowell was our only cover for Enda next season. He did okay when asked to play there, but Premier League players would be much better at taking advantage.

Hopefully our Chris bonded with Pep at the LMA awards. If nothing else, the fact that he beat Pep to manager of the year despite the fact that Man City won the domestic treble must show him what a good manager CW is.

I'd be disappointed if Dowell was our only cover for Enda next season. He did okay when asked to play there, but Premier League players would be much better at taking advantage.
agree in a way sir rod but players that can adapt to different positions are always handy to have plus i think we could get dowell for about 5m

agree in a way sir rod but players that can adapt to different positions are always handy to have plus i think we could get dowell for about 5m

Double that at least. Everton turned down £6m from Villa last year and loaned him out to us instead as they don't want to sell him.

I think Vaulks is a decent championship player but in my opinion he aint Premier league standard.I've seen plenty of him playin for the Millers but he probs wud be better playin wi better players i spose. UTPB