Vaughan, Pinillos & Grant contracts. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Vaughan, Pinillos & Grant contracts.

The Garabaldi - 9/5/2017 12:53

Nanpantan red - 9/5/2017 10:19

When putting my list together I totally forgot Tyler Walker. If he can fulfill the promise he showed as a teenager then he would be a@@@@ the strikers for me. He's an intelligent footballer.

Definitely good enough but needs more self belief I think. Warburton will give that to him and play him to his strengths.

Be a nice pre-season to hopefully see where Erlandsson, Iacovitti, Yates, Walker are as the slightly older one's pushing for selection. No doubt Gabriel, Ahmedhodzic and Edser will want to impress as well.

Garibaldi, do you think that Adam Crookes will be kept on? And we've also got Thorne and McDonagh coming back from loans, both of whom I've never really rated as good prospects.

Smith is a potential star of the future if dealt with correctly, he has the stature and the confidence that belies his number of appearances.

He has no obvious weaknesses other than perhaps he has no obvious stand out attributes and for me that is what is the exciting part his quality is the sum total of the parts rather than being an outstanding shot stopper which in this day and age seems to be the be all and end all

Smith will be far from the finished article next season but 100% competent enough that he would not let us down at either end of the table albeit we could get another keeper better than Smith for next season but as a club will we be stronger for it the season after?

Mark2310 - 10/5/2017 08:48
He has no obvious weaknesses ...

If you are looking for one, he's not big (enough) for a modern day goalkeeper. Officially 6 foot but if you look at him stood next to other players, I think he's at least one, and maybe two, inches shorter than that. Almost all goalkeepers nowadays are at least 6"3.

factchecker - 10/5/2017 09:03

If you are looking for one, he's not big (enough) for a modern day goalkeeper. Officially 6 foot but if you look at him stood next to other players, I think he's at least one, and maybe two, inches shorter than that. Almost all goalkeepers nowadays are at least 6"3.

Height is an issue if it impacts his game and to date it has shown no signs of that and at 6'0 albeit on the shorter side for keepers, keeps good company with none other than Shiton of course

For me its all about presence in the EPL 2 of the shorter keepers are Schmeichel and Lloris however neither come across that way I'm not comparing the 2 but Smith doesn't concern me on crosses or physical presence, can't say he is outstanding in those areas either they just happen and the game moves on I guess there is no bigger compliment you can give a keeper

Mark2310 - 10/5/2017 09:51

Height is an issue if it impacts his game and to date it has shown no signs of that and at 6'0 albeit on the shorter side for keepers, keeps good company with none other than Shiton of course

For me its all about presence in the EPL 2 of the shorter keepers are Schmeichel and Lloris however neither come across that way I'm not comparing the 2 but Smith doesn't concern me on crosses or physical presence, can't say he is outstanding in those areas either they just happen and the game moves on I guess there is no bigger compliment you can give a keeper

Shilton was in a different era. Goalkeepers were generally 5"10 to 6"1 until the 90s.

Lloris at 188cm is 5cm taller than Smith('s official height, which, as I say, I doubt); Schmeichel 186. Bravo is 183 but we obviously don't talk about him as he's not up to the job.

It hasn't been a problem so far and, hopefully, he can continue buck trends but it'll be interesting to see how and whether he's targeted next season. He should definitely remain as first choice - what happens with goalkeepers generally depends on the fitness of Henderson (who I have far less confidence in). If he's targeted successfully, it'll be obvious early enough and we can move to get a loan in.

Nanpantan red - 10/5/2017 11:13

When putting my list together I totally forgot Tyler Walker. If he can fulfill the promise he showed as a teenager then he would be a@@@@ the strikers for me. He's an intelligent footballer.

Definitely good enough but needs more self belief I think. Warburton will give that to him and play him to his strengths.

Be a nice pre-season to hopefully see where Erlandsson, Iacovitti, Yates, Walker are as the slightly older one's pushing for selection. No doubt Gabriel, Ahmedhodzic and Edser will want to impress as well.

Garibaldi, do you think that Adam Crookes will be kept on? And we've also got Thorne and McDonagh coming back from loans, both of whom I've never really rated as good prospects.

Nan,

From my understanding Walters, Crookes, Otim were given year extensions. If they got, I am pretty sure McDonagh has got. If we being honest these were all borderline. But they need depthfor 23s especially how we introduce players to first team.

Aaron Smith, Thorne and Rob Worrall all surplus. Worrall got a 2 yr deal but I think there may be a mutual agreement for him to look at other clubs as played a trial game for sheff utd u23s.

The Garabaldi - 10/5/2017 14:22

Nanpantan red - 10/5/2017 11:13

Nan,

From my understanding Walters, Crookes, Otim were given year extensions. If they got, I am pretty sure McDonagh has got. If we being honest these were all borderline. But they need depthfor 23s especially how we introduce players to first team.

Aaron Smith, Thorne and Rob Worrall all surplus. Worrall got a 2 yr deal but I think there may be a mutual agreement for him to look at other clubs as played a trial game for sheff utd u23s.

I was really impressed with Aaron Smith the first time I saw him which was at the CG in the under 18s, thought he was very similar to Brereton in his style of play - controlling the ball, turning and running at defenders. However the second time I saw him at Alfreton for the under 23s I was less impressed. I know he came from non-league and is older than Ben. I regret having gone overboard about him on this forum after my first encounter but who knows next season.

Mark2310 - 10/5/2017 09:51

Does he hang from crossbars though. Smiths attitude really does need to change

Maybe Nan can tell us how good Erlanndson really is. I know he spent most of the season on loan inSweden but many seem to believe him the best of the lot that we have had between the sticks.

The problem I see with Erlandsson is he will want to push for Swedish national selection having been called up to a camp.

Right now it's Jordan Smith's spot to lose so would he want to come back and be 2nd choice pushing for first ?

If you checked through my posts from years ago I was a big backer of Smith when he was well under the radar. Will stick my neck out and say new Scholar George Shelvey has everything to make it. One of the many England youth players in his age group and one below.