VAR | Page 2 | Vital Football

VAR

Martin Samuel called it right ages ago, he said video should only be brought to the refs attention for clear WTF moments, such as Zidane's headbut , which the whole world saw, but the ref didn't cos his back was turned.
All this ruling out goals after a 5 minute wait because the forward's bootlace is offside is absurd.

The offside rule was brought in in 1863 primarily to stop goal hanging, it's ludicrous the way it is applied today using millimeters measurements to decide if a player is offside,WTF is the unfair advantage in a millimeter?
And it is even more ludicrous when some little nerdy farty brains is thrown into the mix, he's desperate to be involved in the action even though he's sitting miles away, so he stares at a screen for ages after every goal to see if said bootlace has strayed offside or there is some other minor infringement he can spot and make himself seem important.

Big Chiv - 23/2/2018 09:53

Martin Samuel called it right ages ago, he said video should only be brought to the refs attention for clear WTF moments, such as Zidane's headbut , which the whole world saw, but the ref didn't cos his back was turned.
All this ruling out goals after a 5 minute wait because the forward's bootlace is offside is absurd.

The offside rule was brought in in 1863 primarily to stop goal hanging, it's ludicrous the way it is applied today using millimeters measurements to decide if a player is offside,WTF is the unfair advantage in a millimeter?
And it is even more ludicrous when some little nerdy farty brains is thrown into the mix, he's desperate to be involved in the action even though he's sitting miles away, so he stares at a screen for ages after every goal to see if said bootlace has strayed offside or there is some other minor infringement he can spot and make himself seem important.

Summed up perfectly Chiv .
I had to laugh when I heard that Mata had been adjudged to have been LEANING OFFSIDE .

You couldn't make it up could you. Oh .....wait....somebody did.

Back in the dark ages , goal hangers were judged to be ungentlemanly and" not Worthy Of Your Side " which became shortened to "not of your side " then became" offside "

So I have been told . Could be a load of old bollocks

That's actually a good point. They should use it for foul play only.

Then scum like Diego Costa would be banned for life.

just let them go back to the old fashion way , play the game as it should be played .
I wonder if one day we will see the bloke with a dog watching a game on Hackney Marshes being asked to review a decision by showing the ref what he caught on his IPhone .

Wait , I've just thought of a better idea. This could be revolutionary.....
Put a head camera on the Lino ........ Show it on the big screen ...... Ask the people on the terraces if the Lino was right or wrong by a show of hands .....if it's a split decision the ref may have to do a counting job ....... Revolutionary or what ? Bit like going back to the Roman Gladiator days . It worked then. Decisions for the people by the people :4:

80deg16minW - 28/2/2018 21:47

Technology in the hands of IDIOTS is a dangerous thing.

I cannot wait to see some of the crap that went on in the first half with VAR...going to be interesting seeing the fallout.

THis is from the Guardian:

2h ago
19:55
8 min: ... the goal’s chalked off! Llorente is booked for a supposed light tug on McGahey’s arm. It’s far from a clear and obvious error, it’s far from a clear and obvious foul. The goal should have stood. VAR is nonsense.

ON any other night when it wasn't so fecking cold - the home crowd could have turned very nasty - fans around me and in front of were going nuts - it was an absolute shambles and cost us 2 possibly 3 goals in the first half....

Poorly trained officials / reviewers is probably the problem - which is exactly the problem they had when they introduced it into Rugby.

It will improve, as they do.

It's a total fecking shambles and will kill the game as I keep saying.
When Spurs score Ex, you can go and get a cup of tea and by the time you have drunk it and come back, you may be able to celebrate that goal.
This is not the game we fell in love with.

Big Chiv - 1/3/2018 09:32

It's a total fecking shambles and will kill the game as I keep saying.
When Spurs score Ex, you can go and get a cup of tea and by the time you have drunk it and come back, you may be able to celebrate that goal.
This is not the game we fell in love with.

It was all pretty grim stuff that's for sure - I'm not yet against it...and will stay open-minded for a tad longer..

By over-ruling Lamela's,s goal, they have made a fundamental , monumental error.
By doing so they ( the authorities) are saying that they don't trust the referee or linesmen , to make clear and considered judgements .
There was no foul in the build up to Lamela's goal, but if they are saying there was , then no goal will ever be scored from a corner , .
Every goal will be overturned because ,if you cannot put your hands on an opponent ,it will VARed and disallowed .
Revisiting the Moura penalty incident brings up another crazy set of problems.
The ref waited until the ball went out of play before going back to it . How long is too long to go back to check an incident . What if a goal is scored in the meantime , or somebody is sent off.
The game has gone mad . It absolutely ruined last nights game

The problem is that the VAR is calling the game.

The rugby model is the ref asking: Is there any reason I can't award that goal? Yes or no?

Keep it simple and only ask if you (the ref) and the AR's have doubt.

Yesterday the VAR was interjecting. You might as well give me access if you're going to do that. At least I will get it right.

80deg16minW - 1/3/2018 12:34

The rugby model is the ref asking: Is there any reason I can't award that goal? Yes or no?

Yesterday the VAR was interjecting. You might as well give me access if you're going to do that. At least I will get it right.

As it stands VAR automatically reviews any game changing incident/decision...that's the simple crux of the problem; it's imposing itself on the referee/game as opposed to being a tool for helping a ref confirm a decision - that said, eh could have easily run to the monitor and reviewed for himself - and the delay then would have been minimal...

Keep it simple, did the damn ball go all the way over the line or not. Looking at other factors like 'light tugging', etc... is absolute bullcrap. That happens on EVERY sequence of events! Let the ref call the game, and help him ONLY when it is in question, like when we are not quite sure if the damn ball goes over the line or not. When it is clear...stay the heck out of it.

Spursex - 1/3/2018 13:59

80deg16minW - 1/3/2018 12:34

As it stands VAR automatically reviews any game changing incident/decision...that's the simple crux of the problem; it's imposing itself on the referee/game as opposed to being a tool for helping a ref confirm a decision - that said, eh could have easily run to the monitor and reviewed for himself - and the delay then would have been minimal...

I want to do that!

One of the ridiculous uses of var is that last night it reviewed every goal . In my humble opinion ,there was no need . None of the goals broke any laws of the game . There was no Clear and Obvious error so why were the goals reviewed .
It even reviewed Lamela's booking ! What was that all about ? The ref obviously saw the incident , decided it warranted a caution , told him not to do it again or he would be sent off , and it got VARed . Why .If the ref has seen enough to warrant giving him a yellow card , what needs reviewing . Is the ref reviewing it or the ref in the control centre . Who is deciding what needs reviewing . The first half went on for fifty minutes ,without any injuries .
Jake Humphries asked the ref in the 'caravan ' why the first goal was chalked off . He said because Llorente tugged on the other blokes shirt . Humphries then said that "the centre half was tugging on Llorente first so why didn't var award a penalty ?"....to which the ref said he didn't have an answer to that .
If that makes sense to any one I will be amazed

Exactly. It should be upon request by the referee only.

Why they are making it so naffing difficult is beyond me.