VAR - general thread | Vital Football

VAR - general thread

Skoorb

Alert Team
As last weekend demonstrated there will be many, many more issues raised by the use of VAR during the season.

For those that don't directly affect our games I thought it might be sensible to start a thread to discuss incidents at other matches in the PL and the overall introduction of this technology.

.....and to get the ball rolling let's start with the Uber Hypocrites of the Premier League, yes it's Liverspots.

Their victory in the European version of the Community Shield (but which they would have you believe is the Masters of the Universe trophy) was secured when Adrian saved Chelsea's fifth penalty. It would appear that neither of his feet were on the goal line which has naturally sent the Chelsea fans apoplectic whilst the dippers are relying on UEFA saying....

"goalkeepers will only be penalised by VAR for leaving the line if it’s a blatant and clear violation of the new law.”

....well it looks pretty blatant and clear to me.

Attachments

• 650.jpg
    650.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1
This thread may reach 100 pages before Christmas. It seems like the Prem has found a new way to screw us, rather than sort out any injustices.

My hopes have so far been dashed. We all want the correct decisions, we all want the officials to have the best information.....but so far I have seen the decisions hinge on subjective views of the VAR official.

Where does a player's shoulder end and their arm begin?

Which frame gets use to decide when the ball is played.

When grappling is allowed and when is it a penalty offence.

Seems the vagueness has been shifted off the pitch and into the VAR room. So much for it shining more light on decisions...:shake:

It is too early to say after a couple of games if VAR will be used to screw us, but with offsides which frame is used when the ball is last kicked, if in fact the technology takes 9 frames per second.

I have read many, many comments from football fans (not all City supporters) who are so frustrated by the marginality of these decisions that they are giving up on football, will not be renewing season tickets etc.

It is hard to swallow and very early to be writing it off BUT........two games and multiple VAR decisions involving City already including two goals chalked off? Plus they now cannot change the rule this season if it has to have any shred of credibility.

Also - apparently there would not have been a penalty had the ball struck Skipp’s arm rather than Laporte’s. FFS.

I have read many, many comments from football fans (not all City supporters) who are so frustrated by the marginality of these decisions that they are giving up on football, will not be renewing season tickets etc.

It is hard to swallow and very early to be writing it off BUT........two games and multiple VAR decisions involving City already including two goals chalked off? Plus they now cannot change the rule this season if it has to have any shred of credibility.

Also - apparently there would not have been a penalty had the ball struck Skipp’s arm rather than Laporte’s. FFS.
It's ruining it for me. I hate to say it, but it's true.

This excerpt from a MEN article on the VAR disallowed goal against Spurs seems to sum up a substantial part of the problem....

“It seems that we have referees that will refrain from making a decision because they have VAR to make decisions for them and the the VAR team who will not intervene when the referee has missed a clear and obvious penalty.”

I am sure it did strike Skipps arm which was outstretched away from his body unlike Laporte's which was tucked in

I think we are getting closer to the nub of the issue here regarding the non-award of the penalty when Rodri was being manhandled.

"VAR can be used to overturn a subjective decision if a "clear and obvious error" has been identified.
The referee will explain their decision to the VAR, and what they have seen.
If the evidence provided by the broadcast footage does not accord with what the referee believes they have seen, then the VAR can recommend an overturn." (my underlining & emphasis added)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297392

To my reading what this is saying is that unless the video footage differs from what the on-field referee BELIEVES they have seen, then the VAR will not overturn.

In other words, it was all down to how Oliver described what he saw.......it does not mention whether the VAR would independently have drawn anything to his attention and asked for his view. If they didn't and simply failed to say anything then the decision was purely Oliver's alone. They would have had to have said "We think there was a penalty offence there - holding on a City player" and Oliver MUST have said, "Yes I saw it - just a coming together, not a penalty for me"(my words). Because if he didn't then either the VAR failed to interpret that grappling as an offence (they would be in a minority) or Oliver didn't see it, and if not, why didn't he stop play and ask to consult the pitchside monitor?

This just reinforces for me the need to have the audio between the officials available because this reeks of potential for misuse.

I am searching for stats on the use of VAR - number of VAR referrals, number of changed decisions, by match, by club etc

.....strangely they do not seem to exist.

It may be too early but I think that is silly. Stats exist for everything else, crosses, passes, shots etc WTF not on how many times VAR intervenes in a game. It will be very interesting to see just how many times the system is used on a match by match, club by club basis....

In reply to Skoorb and Buzz at #8 and #11, I can only assume if it had hit Skipp's arm first, and then Laporte's, the goal would still be disallowed.

It is too soon to dump it, but should it have been trialled for a longer period in other comps, personally it is a great idea where the blatant errors are rectified and I know it is us ion the wrong side or a few decisions, but offside is not as black and white as they claim and the handball rule appears to be black and white but only for the defending team.

Will we get defenders deliberately kicking the ball at an attacker's arms?

That Rob Draper article is enlightening and these issues really ought to have been worked through in more detail before introducing the system at the top level. Offsides are not new and Gallagher's idea that they can be as precise as goal line technology is laughable for all the reasons outlined in the Mail.