VAR - general thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

VAR - general thread

That is utter BS. What is this "fractionally" nonsense? At one point Lamela has both arms on Laporte, one round his neck, the other on his back.

The fact that Swarbrick has come out from the shadows implies to me at least that they know they f*cked this one up. Gallagher, despite the cr*p I have seen from in the papers, is twisting himself in knots in Sky's Ref Watch and at one point admits he thinks it was a penalty before retreating behind the screen of the handball 'factual' decision. To the host's credit he is pressed pretty hard on the minutiae if the scrutiny applied to the handball vs the lack of support from VAR for the referee in respect of this decision. The two others (ex-footballers I guess) point out that they don't think Oliver saw the incident as he looked away. If so this is exactly what VAR should be for but they bottled it because I don't think they wanted to admit the on field ref missed such a big call.

All we need are the audio recordings of the conversation between them at that point.....

Just seen the penalty claim for the rags. Looked to me that the defender had hands on and it was a penalty......

Having seen that I don't believe now that when it comes to subjective decisions, if the on field referee doesn't give it then it will take something diabolically bad before the VAR official overturns it.

I think the "clear and obvious" threshold is so high that we will only see var being used for issues of 'fact' - offside and handball basically. Matters of opinion will not come into it.

There are a lot of questions to be asked seemingly where we get subjective decisions which are clearly penalties but VAR back up the onfield referee who has only had a millisecond to see the incident without having the benefit of several angles that are provided to the VAR, yet we saw these incidents being referred to the Officials in the World Cup but not in the Premier.

Clear and obvious error, I was watching Sky sports yesterday when Jeff Stelling pointed out the rule of handball that Laporte did not have possession of the ball, his arm was by his side not made bigger

should Managers be able to ask for a review (limited)?

They'll never give managers that option IMO.

They are trying to make the other decisions matters of 'fact' like the goal line technology but will back the subjective decisions if the on field referee. This is not how I enviseged it - I thought they would pick up the stuff the human eye misses because if speed or blocked viewpoint.

Sky Sports pet referee Dermot Gallagher comes off the fence finally (watch those splinters Dermot) to give his verdict on the VAR incident at the Vitality stadium on Sunday-

“I thought this was a penalty and I think what may happen on reflection, the people looking at it at PGMOL will say that was one they could have overturned.
"If you're going to overturn one, that is the perfect example because the referee can't see the incident, it goes to the video and the video referee is led by the referee. He is asked what he saw, feeds it back and I do think if they reflect back on that, which they will do, that will be one that they say could have been overturned."

You can bet anything that the first time an on field referee’s decision in one of these ‘clear and obvious’ situations it will be to favour the dippers and Mo Salah.

I have just seen the penalty awarded to Wolves in added time against Burnley. Now I am seriously confused. The defender makes contact with Jiminez’s standing foot, the ref awards a penalty and VAR concur.

Ok. How is that contact any different from the player treading on David Silva’s foot?

The answer clearly is that it isn’t so this simply proves that the VAR officials must be instructed not to overturn anything unless even a visually impaired person watching from the opposite end of the ground would have seen something the referee didn’t.

This extract is from the Sun's article on the latest ? 'VAR controversies' ....

"But a clear foul is a clear foul, isn’t it?
Unless the referee reports an incident entirely wrongly — like saying “the defender played the ball” when he didn’t — VAR is unlikely to intervene, even if they think a mistake has been made."​

So, I can only assume that Marriner must have told VAR that he thought the defender played the ball when in fact he trod on Silva's foot. Because of the 'high bar' rule I can also only assume that the VAR official must have decided 'well I can understand why he thought that' and hence did not overturn the decision.

But what I find unfathomable is the unwillingness to make sure the correct decision is made! It seems clear that they have adopted the principle of backing the referee rather than ensuring that the correct decision is taken.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9801754/premier-league-var-penalty/

This comments from that article sums it up I think.....

In other words the main present use of VAR is to give the merest veneer of fair refereeing whilst actually not in an any way rocking the boat of the cosy little clique of 'top' referees who all cover for each other when they make a poor decision. “
Essentially they are stuck in the rut of denying real oversight and proper use of the technology to ensure the correct decision, the PGMOL see this as a threat to the primacy of on field referee and hence their resistance to overturn decisions that are clearly shown to be wrong.

The VAR coup de gras yesterday as Newcastle scored a goal which was not disallowed after the ball struck the hand of a Newcastle player immediately before the ball was thumped home.

VAR did not on this occasion overrule. Of course not. Despite replays showing the ball struck the arm of an attacking player in the build up, they chose not to apply the same rulle which cost City the winner against Spurs.

Level playing field eh?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...tford-steve-bruce-st-james-park-var-handball/

And this quote from the Telegraph is just laughable

“Some pedantic observers insisted VAR should have been used to rule the goal out as the ball brushed Hayden’s hand, but only one camera angle showed it and there was no intervention.”

Seriously? That is your view Luke Edwards? It is pedantic to insist that the same standard is applied to each situation? The PGMOL insisted that this was the same as offside, there is no debate because of the change in the handball rule.

Apparently not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ford-settle-point-apiece-error-strewn-affair/

Last edited: