v St Midden | Page 2 | Vital Football

v St Midden

He definitely has. If he would just ditch his slavish dedication to the 4-2-3-1 and tailor his formation to the players and their strengths, I think we would have a decent gaffer in our midst.

I missed a lot of the key parts of the game, like the first 4 goals, the injuries to Guidetti and Forrest.....I did see Scepovic miss 2 good chances and be unfortunately denied by the post though. Much better energy from him today though. He was running and closing defenders down which I haven't seen him do much until today.

I think Bitton is turning into a very solid and dependable player in our midfield. I'd keep playing him even if Mulgrew is fit again. He has a good range of passing, he's not as slow as Mulgrew and he is calm in possession.
I also thought Henderson played well when he came on, a few loose passes but overall he showed he has the strength, skill and ability to play at this level.
McGregor seemed to have a better performance today than during midweek, it could just be down to getting more playing time again. I think if he can grab himself a goal at some point soon, it will really boost his confidence back up!

With regards widening the gap and using other players, I think we have 4 talented young players who need first team opportunities this season. Henderson, Fisher, O'Connell and Twardzik. These guys should all be able to play in the SPFL but they can only show they're good enough to play in Europe if we give them opportunities in the league.

It doesn't look as though many players will be leaving us in January. Kayal has seen his hopes of a move dashed because the club want money to release him from his contract which expires in the summer. As such, it looks like any interested clubs so far will wait until the summer.
Unless a club comes in with a big offer, I don't really see who else will be going in January other than Berget going back to Cardiff. It would be nice if we could get rid of Boerrigter and Kayal but it doesn't look like happening. Wakaso could be one who will be sent back early from his loan unless it involves a fee in which case we'll hold on to him and rarely use him. He started off so well but his performance midweek has really put me off him!
I'd hope we strengthen with about 3 signings in January. A defender, a midfielder and possibly another young striker or someone who can play on the wing or striker. Another LB might be a good idea too, if Izzy gets injured, we're screwed!

Good call wee_od. Forgot he gave Fisher a run out the other night too.

Get Derk sicknote to fuck. We knew and warned on here that he'd be a permanently injured waste of cash before we signed him.

Wakaso clearly isn't impressing in training. Ditto Kayal who hasn't kicked his own arse for ages.

We've still got Balde, Pukki and Fridjohnsson on the books too.

Griffiths seems unable to force his way into Ronny plans...

I'm forgetting about the loaned out players you're right. Balde isn't scoring so might be more difficult to shift, might need to be a cut price deal to offload him. Pukki is scoring a decent amount and is enjoying Brondby and already says he wants to stay permanently so that shouldn't be much of an issue, just depends what their willing to pay but I'd imagine we already have that in the loan agreement. Fridjonnson also seems to be doing quite well at Brondby, still young so a bit part player and not scored many goals but he is being used as far as I'm aware. He could go but considering what it cost us to buy him anyway, it shouldn't make too much difference. I can't even remember how much we paid for him! Lol.

We also still have Jackson Irvine (on loan at Ross County), Dylan McGeouch (on loan at Hibs) and Marcus Fraser (on loan at a lower division English team). I'm not sure what the deal will be with Marcus Fraser because he's still young and showed so much promise before his injury.
I think McGeouch could be for the off which is a shame because I still think he's a good young player and given more opportunities in his correct position then he could have really become a good player for us. He needs to play CM or in behind the striker, he's not a winger!
Jackson Irvine I also think could be off. He's had a few loan moves now and hasn't even really played much in pre-season, but that could be because he was injured I'm not sure. He seemed like a very talented young midfielder as well. A real utility sort of player as he could play in defence or midfield but was good enough with the ball to help in attack as well. Unfortunately I think it's a case of being too far down the pecking order.

I also saw photos of Rogic back in training. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Loan him out somewhere or do we give him opportunities toward the end of the season? He's basically been doing a pre-season fitness training to get up to speed because he missed it all through injury. Deila spoke about him a few months ago and said he will be given an opportunity at some point to show what he can do. That could be a friendly at our Winter training camp in January.

Latest Celtic News