v. Hunmarnock | Page 2 | Vital Football

v. Hunmarnock

Commons had some bad luck, but one can't help but think he is rusty and might have made those shots with more playing time behind him. All in all, pretty good match. They threatened maybe once and were under pressure the entire time.

#Celtic have had 14 attempts at goal so far.

Kris Commons has had 19 :-) --
:emoticon:14 :emoticon:03 :emoticon:19

Commons was amazing at hitting the keepers mits today. In all seriousness, he had a good game. Some hard luck.

Man of the Match was either henderson or Biton.

Apparently, hunmarnock would not let us train on their plastic pitch. :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90

welch47 - 5/1/2015 22:20

Apparently, hunmarnock would not let us train on their plastic pitch. :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90 :emoticon:90

No surprise there!

Henderson did play well, mate. Commons too. They didn't press us which allowed Bitcoin time and space to play further forward than usual. No idea what their game plan was tbh but we coulda* hit them for 5 or 6 tonight.

*Poor final balls and finishing put paid to that. Again.

True, Tic. In fairness, Commons had some good shots and I think had awful luck. He did show his value to the club, though. Even during his best, Guidetti was not creating the kind of opportunities that Commons did yesterday. I wonder if we should try Commons and Guidetti together. Commons creates chances and Guidetti can finish in the box. I think if he gets off the schnye, he will start pumping them in again. He seems to be a bit of a headcase. When it's going his way, he's unstoppable. When he gets cold, he really loses it. Guidetti looks tentative and can't find his feet.

That performance was more like how we want to play! It was a dominant performance, we completely controlled the game and did it with a bit of swagger!
The problem is that Killie allowed us to play that way, against better opposition we won't be able to do that because too many of our players struggle under pressure and at times it was still too slow.

Izzy and Matthews had great luck down the wings which allowed Henderson, Johansen and Commons to all come infield and switch positions and made it very difficult to man mark. There was better movement from players, some nice dummies and flicks in the final 3rd but importantly we had a solid defence. The confidence was there to get forward because the players knew VVD and Ambrose were in control at the back, backed up by Brown and Bitton.

I don't think anyone had a bad game. Commons was unlucky but you could see what he wanted to do all the time, he just wanted to score or at least take the shot and considering how many were blocked, perhaps it would have been wiser to try and set someone else up instead on occasions. He just looked a little greedy in my opinion.
Henderson showed he is more than capable of playing at this level, and if he plays more at this level, he can get up to European level! Bitton is showing he is becoming a dependable midfielder. He can break out from defending which is useful but he is covering the pitch well when teams break against us.
Scepovic was disappointing to be honest. He was nearly on the end of a few crosses but generally he wasn't giving the defence much to worry about. He started off so well, lots of energy and pressing but it seemed to fade too quickly.

Looking forward to seeing how we get on in Gran Canaria and how many of the youth players get a chance to impress the manager. Hopefully we come back refreshed and stronger and finally start to pull away at the top of the SPFL.

Game in hand against Kilmarnock tonight. Tricky game but at home we should win! It will be tough to pick a team, we looked tired at the weekend and we have a cup semi-final on Sunday and a game away to Dundee next Wednesday. We have a busy schedule!

Johansen could do with a break as he's played a lot of games and puts in so much effort in each one. I thought he was one in particular who looked tired at the weekend though. I'd rest him tonight and have him fresh for the cup game at the weekend!

I'd go with:

Gordon
Fisher - Denayer - VVD - Izzy
Brown - Bitton
Forrest - Commons - Stokes
Guidetti

Subs: Zaluska, Ambrose, Matthews, GMS, Armstrong, Griffiths, McGregor

I know Guidetti is a strange choice but today is his birthday and I think he'll want to play and be desperate to score. It's all about balance and we should be able to alternate who plays up front especially during such a congested time of the season.
Stokes was tried up front recently and it didn't work, our only other option is Scepovic....who hasn't even made a sub appearance in I can't remember how long!

Celtic team: Gordon; Matthews, Denayer, van Dijk, Izaguirre; Brown, Bitton; Commons, Johansen, Forrest; Guidetti

Subs: Zaluska, Ambrose, Stokes, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Griffiths, McGregor

Latest Celtic News