US Politics Thread | Page 380 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

Frightening, if they vote him back in it really will be a damning indictment of the country and I know a few really good, fair minded people, over there, one of which has ever considered emigrating, feels that strongly.

Frightening, if they vote him back in it really will be a damning indictment of the country and I know a few really good, fair minded people, over there, one of which has ever considered emigrating, feels that strongly.
A friend of mine had been living in Miami for 20 years, married, American kids, etc. They moved to the UK 2 years ago, although her husband still works in America and comes over (or at least had been) every 2 months for a few weeks.

She figured Brexit was preferable to Trump's America. Can't say I blame her either!

Taking questions from reporters, Trump says that he "doesn't want high approval ratings" for his response to the coronavirus outbreak. "I see numbers, they don’t matter to me," he says, adding that "victory" over the outbreak is what matters.

giphy.webp

The question, he says, is "what would have happened if we did nothing", and just decided to "ride it out?" "I think from a practical standard that couldn't have been carried out", he says, because models forecast that if the US did not undertake any mitigation efforts at all, "that number [of deaths] becomes 1.5m up to 2.2m, and even beyond."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52101615 BBC ticker tonight.

I've bolded the bit that fits exactly with what Trump has done so far in reality, baring in mind it was only a couple of days ago he wanted States to relax restrictions they put in place.

What a genius!

Fauci says it might be time to think about medical masks for the public.

Trump says.

Mr Trump was just asked about the subject at the press briefing, and said: "You can use a scarf, scarfs would be very good." "It's not a bad idea. At least for a period of time," he continues, adding: "And eventually it'll be gone. Hopefully gone for a long time."

Fuck sake PMSL

How can his popularity be rising? What a favour to the world it would be if he just died on his own bile, and I'm like most of you, I don't wish death on people usually!

You couldn't lampoon this fool could you? He just does it for himself, and the ignorant believe him. Anyone watch Newsnight last night when they had some Republican woman on? She bought every word he says, hook line and sinker, and denied words that had just been shown on video from Trump when it didn't suit her.

These people are so dangerous.

How can his popularity be rising? What a favour to the world it would be if he just died on his own bile, and I'm like most of you, I don't wish death on people usually!

You couldn't lampoon this fool could you? He just does it for himself, and the ignorant believe him. Anyone watch Newsnight last night when they had some Republican woman on? She bought every word he says, hook line and sinker, and denied words that had just been shown on video from Trump when it didn't suit her.

These people are so dangerous.

I have a friend from California who is a huge Obama supporter. I spent many a hike with him discussing Obama's record in office. Personally, I don't think blowing up schools and weddings deserves a Nobel Peace Prize but he disagrees.

Bush Jnr got a ratings bump from 9/11. Americans rally around the President in a crisis. During the crisis, it's probably the right thing to do. Once it passes, hopefully they will be smart enough to see that having an idiot in the top job isn't a great idea.

#votebernie

The upside of something like this is it is either going to make him or break him I guess. I don’t follow US politics in great detail, but I’m hoping the country sees his true colours with this pandemic.

Bush Jnr got a ratings bump from 9/11. Americans rally around the President in a crisis. During the crisis, it's probably the right thing to do. Once it passes, hopefully they will be smart enough to see that having an idiot in the top job isn't a great idea.

#votebernie

Yes, get the bump with rallying during a time of crisis, but in this particular instance, with how abysmal he has been, it still beggars belief!

What are the consequences of a high US death rate into 6 figures potentially with China?

Leverage for a trade deal in the US’ favour, or something worse?

What are the consequences of a high US death rate into 6 figures potentially with China?

I don't think it really matters to be honest on a comparison front.

China's hand is improved by getting back to normal quicker though - so I guess the US will delay and delay.

The US is screwed. Lenders are already seizing businesses and property.

Banks are asking for security on Government backed loans.

Capitalism at it's very best.