Ups and Downs | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ups and Downs

We should all be pleased to see Derby relegated, full stop. Likewise Peterborough for different reasons, and Barnsley will be a day out we haven't had for longer than I care to remember.

EDIT: and can you imagine the reaction of Sunderland etc fans when they arrive at FGR's Subbuteo Stadium? How the mighty have fallen!

Yep, but we've been there too. I still remember my feeling of despair when driving back from Lincoln on New Years Day 1988, and heading straight off to Northwich for our Conference game. I remember saying out loud to myself, "How have we come to this?"

Still don't feel sympathy for the Sunderland fans, though!!

I can actually see Wednesday sneaking 2nd spot behind Wigan now. Rotherham and MK both have the wobbles
Must admit I was thinking the same Rotherham are on a shocking run and MK Dons have lost their last two, win their game in hand and Wednesday will be challenging for that 2nd spot.

The Rotherham we faced at their place left me distinctly unimpressed, even compared to the version that rocked up at our place earlier in the season.

I maintain they are primarily a bunch of athletes that secondarily can play a bit of football. If they are not on it physically or can't bully an opponent it leaves them a bit limited and they are getting found out as a result.

It'll be an interesting PO picture.

From reading around Rotherham and MK fans, they think that their squads will get ripped apart if they don't go up.

Wednesday/Sunderland will always be big enough to keep and attract players, Plymouth might end up being an us/Shrewsbury i.e. this is their chance and Wycombe will probably be the most relaxed because they'll have money banked from their Championship days and their players aren't really ones who'll attract much interest i.e. they have the(?) oldest squad in the league.

It'll be an interesting PO picture.

From reading around Rotherham and MK fans, they think that their squads will get ripped apart if they don't go up.

Wednesday/Sunderland will always be big enough to keep and attract players, Plymouth might end up being an us/Shrewsbury i.e. this is their chance and Wycombe will probably be the most relaxed because they'll have money banked from their Championship days and their players aren't really ones who'll attract much interest i.e. they have the(?) oldest squad in the league.
Plymouth have had massive investment from chairman Simon Hallett during the last three years (£20m), but he has told them they have to be self-sufficient now. It will be interesting to see how they get on next season on that basis alone.

Plymouth have had massive investment from chairman Simon Hallett during the last three years (£20m), but he has told them they have to be self-sufficient now. It will be interesting to see how they get on next season on that basis alone.
Also interesting to see how Schumacher builds a squad after Lowe leaving him with his.

we have escaped relegation by 3 or 4 places.

three of last season’s l2 promoted teams look likely to finish above us. it will be a huge issue if they stay above us again next season, and if three more l2 promoted teams also finish above us…

three of last season’s l2 promoted teams look likely to finish above us. it will be a huge issue if they stay above us again next season, and if three more l2 promoted teams also finish above us…
Hellfire it’s a bit early for a relegation post for next season isn’t it. Keep well away from the sharps this close season

Hellfire it’s a bit early for a relegation post for next season isn’t it. Keep well away from the sharps this close season
And with that in mind, any update on the earth shattering news we were due before the season ends… that you alluded you were privy to a few weeks back. a hint whether it was highly positive or multiple sharps negative would do for starters.

The 'if' in all of that is really all you have.

Barnsley at home on the opening day... 8 points away from home all season... late July, warm and sunny... expectation in the air as a new season begins... fear, trepidation, excitement, cautious optimism... the Fan Village swarming with overweight middle-aged men ruining the new 2022-23 shirt... a full house at SB... including me, fresh from a night out with Jules and a wonderful breakfast at the Holiday Inn... what could be better?

Get it in your diary.