Up The Bahrainian Tics v Up Pompey | Page 6 | Vital Football

Up The Bahrainian Tics v Up Pompey

Can I also add that if ( big if ) we had a reliable goalscoring centre forward we would be comfortably out of the bottom 4.

It's not all gloom it's just the end product missing.

I think we could probably scrape by with our current goal threat if we were better organised defensively and could grind out a win after taking a lead. Just recently Wimbledon and injury ravaged out of form Accy could've been 4 more points. We were also in a good position and Peterborough, Oxford and Lincoln and lost them in the last 10 minster or so. If we could've at least held out for draws in those last 3 and held on to win the other 2 that puts us 5 points clear of drop zone.

I think Cook probably would've kept this squad up quite comfortably if he stayed let alone Pep!

While the players obviously aren't a great squad by any means they are no where near as bad as some are making out and seem to be taking all the flack so Richardson doesn't have to take his share. He's made some mistakes in tactics and team selections as bad as any howlers the players themselves have committed.

I think undoubtedly Richardson (and Rioch) has made mistakes, mainly with selection and substitutions.

After a run of games where we conceded a stream of silly/avoidable goals, we seem to have stemmed the flow from obvious defensive/goalkeeping errors. However, we now seem to have a problem finding the net. We're creating the chances, but just not purring them away.

The management team need to take their share of responsibility, but a little help from the players - and the refs - wouldn't come amiss.

Thing is no matter how bad we are. We still have a chance. And the new manager bounce might just do the trick. Stick or twist. Up to the new owners. Let’s see

To be honest I accept L2 is our most likely outcome regardless but if we had someone new in mind who was available now I'd want to get them in to start to prepare for next year rather than wait until the summer.

If that happened and we got a bounce and stayed up that would be a welcome bonus but the main thing for me would be the chance to work with the squad to see if they want to keep anyone and getting the recruitment team and targets in place to hit the ground running for the 15-20 players we are going to need to sign.

I think Cook probably would've kept this squad up quite comfortably if he stayed let alone Pep!

While the players obviously aren't a great squad by any means they are no where near as bad as some are making out and seem to be taking all the flack so Richardson doesn't have to take his share. He's made some mistakes in tactics and team selections as bad as any howlers the players themselves have committed.

I think we’ve had this discussion before but they are lesser quality players.
We’ve a keeper who doesn’t move off his line and has an inability to save any shot from distance, centre halves who can’t defend a cross, midfielders that regular part like the Red Sea, we have players who can’t cross well enough and forward players who can’t score regularly enough from the few chances that are created.
I think you’ve said before that x played for Leeds, somebody else has played in the Championship etc.. but they were all several years ago and time moves on and they’ve got older and slower with some barely having played in the mean time
I’m not having a go at the players, Richardson has cobbled together a bunch of rejects and youngsters, in most cases, making their first run of professional appearances so it is what it is. To be just 2 points from safety with at this stage of the season is credit to everyone Involved no matter how many mistakes they’ve made
Has Richardson made mistakes? Of course he has and no doubt he’ll make some more before the seasons through but few managers would have got much better from that rag tag bunch of misfit’s - you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear

I think undoubtedly Richardson (and Rioch) has made mistakes, mainly with selection and substitutions.

After a run of games where we conceded a stream of silly/avoidable goals, we seem to have stemmed the flow from obvious defensive/goalkeeping errors. However, we now seem to have a problem finding the net. We're creating the chances, but just not purring them away.

The management team need to take their share of responsibility, but a little help from the players - and the refs - wouldn't come amiss.

Absolutely the blame for our on field failings is shared between the players and management team.

I think we’ve had this discussion before but they are lesser quality players.
We’ve a keeper who doesn’t move off his line and has an inability to save any shot from distance, centre halves who can’t defend a cross, midfielders that regular part like the Red Sea, we have players who can’t cross well enough and forward players who can’t score regularly enough from the few chances that are created.
I think you’ve said before that x played for Leeds, somebody else has played in the Championship etc.. but they were all several years ago and time moves on and they’ve got older and slower with some barely having played in the mean time
I’m not having a go at the players, Richardson has cobbled together a bunch of rejects and youngsters, in most cases, making their first run of professional appearances so it is what it is. To be just 2 points from safety with at this stage of the season is credit to everyone Involved no matter how many mistakes they’ve made
Has Richardson made mistakes? Of course he has and no doubt he’ll make some more before the seasons through but few managers would have got much better from that rag tag bunch of misfit’s - you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear

No doubt this squad isn't great but I think a decent manager could've got more out of them for sure. Im not saying they'd get 20 points more and be top half or anything like that. But probably 10 points better and be level with Burton was not at all unreasonable given the non displays we turned in some games that were there for the taking.

I don't blame Richardson as he's not a manager and pretty much only got the job by default after he originally turned it down and then no one else wanted it. He's done his best under the difficult circumstances of admin that would be hard for even well seasoned managers. You have to be grateful for him trying to keep the train on the tracks of course but I don't think that should be the basis of us wanting to keep him on as manager.

Personally I don't think he's shown anything to suggest he's going to be able to do the rare thing of transitioning successfully from assistant to manager. I wasn't expecting him to rip up trees but to get the responsibility of rebuilding the club from scratch I wanted to see more glimpses of potential than we got.

Last edited:
Absolutely the blame for our on field failings is shared between the players and management team.
Just to be clear, I said responsibility, not blame.

I struggle to apportion blame to anyone in the squad or management team for our current position.

If they keep us up, great. If they don't, then let's be honest, they were never really favourites to do so.

I struggle to apportion blame to anyone in the squad or management team for our current position.

If they keep us up, great. If they don't, then let's be honest, they were never really favourites to do so.

As long as I'm sat in that stadium in August with fellow latics folk I'm happy. What we have all gone through this last 12 months has been hellish and just to have a team to support is unbelievable. Most weekends i have felt lost not being able to watch our team and its been made worse seeing some of these young lads not have us to get behind them. I'm gonna reserve judgement on the Bahraini guys as actions speak louder than words but the lad seems passionate and has given fans an interface which is promising. It's not impossible that we won't stay up but if the worst happens so be it. We will be back make no mistake. And when we are it will be all the sweeter.

Half-decent teams are well above us, in the table,
which puts into perspective how weak this league is.

We will be starting with a clean-slate next season and the fans need a team who
will play with confidence and are scoring goals and winning matches regularly.

Last edited:
Assgard, Long, Lang, Pearce and Robinson are the only 5 players under contract.
Who, other than Joseph & Johnston would you offer a contract to even if we went down.

Absolutely no chance. He almost got a team with Reece James and Nick Powell relegated in the Championship. He couldn’t even beat this shower of shite with Ipswich and he’s struggled badly since joining them.

We’re shite, 98% of this squad are not L1 standard players, face it, accept it and get ready for L2.

Assgard, Long, Lang, Pearce and Robinson are the only 5 players under contract.
Who, other than Joseph & Johnston would you offer a contract to even if we went down.
I thought Lang was out of contract as well?

To answer your question though, not a single one of them. All shite, all losers. Time for a total fresh start.

Spot on

Absolutely no chance. He almost got a team with Reece James and Nick Powell relegated in the Championship. He couldn’t even beat this shower of shite with Ipswich and he’s struggled badly since joining them.

We’re shite, 98% of this squad are not L1 standard players, face it, accept it and get ready for L2.

I thought Lang was out of contract as well?

To answer your question though, not a single one of them. All shite, all losers. Time for a total fresh start.

In the championship the quality of opposition is light years ahead of L1. Huge difference.

Even our rag tag squad could easily stay up in L1 if we turned up in the games we go missing.

In the championship the quality of opposition is light years ahead of L1. Huge difference.

Even our rag tag squad could easily stay up in L1 if we turned up in the games we go missing.

The thing is, they haven't turned up in games because they're not good enough consistently enough - the two go hand in hand for me. Decent players can reach a decent standard on a regular basis. Those that don't do so coz in the main they're not of a decent enough standard whether that's psychologically or ability wise

You are right Hindley, for the first 45 we were comfortable playing the ball out from the back and both Ojo and Evans were influencing the game.

The problems came when they scored !!

Once ahead they switched to five across the middle and stifled our play, so our back four then lost the out ball to midfield and went long, Evans in particular had no influence in the second half and we struggled to break them down.

We are desperately missing a wide right player and, although he is much maligned, we looked a more balanced side with Massey on the wing. Callum Lang is wasted playing out wide and his goals have dried up since he started playing there. He needs to be more central and running the channels turning CB's and playing to his strengths. I would try Gardner out there for a game or two, I know it's not his preferred side but I am sure he could do it and that would free Lang up to get back to what he is good at.

Leam, must have tried this, and decided it does not work.

We are not the only ones with ideas about formations and tactics.

The thing is, they haven't turned up in games because they're not good enough consistently enough - the two go hand in hand for me. Decent players can reach a decent standard on a regular basis. Those that don't do so coz in the main they're not of a decent enough standard whether that's psychologically or ability wise
This is exactly it. Some people have criticised Evans recently but put him in a team with better players and he’s miles better. The problem is we have journey men players who can only play two good games out of 10. This is why we cannot consistently put wins together and is likely to kill us this season. We need a massive overhaul. Keep the young players with potential and bring in some good decent players at this level who more often than not are a seven out of 10 every week. Then we will see some improvement

Last edited:
Looks like Lang will be out a couple of weeks now with concussion
Think we can right this season off zakky
To win games we need to score goals
With this lot we don't seem capable off

I tend to agree Hindley, although I'd take it a step further and say if we just had a bit more composure in front of goal we'd be OK, but the current players are snatching at chances and making poor decisions. Such is life at the wrong end of the table, if we were near the top end with confidence flying high and minimal pressure Proctor sticks that miss against Gillingham away every time and Evans hits the target instead of the corner flag from outside the box every time.
I genuinely think that the players desperately want to get us out of this after everything that has gone on and unfortunately they are "trying too hard" and it's affecting the quality.
Additionally, this lack of confidence leads to the players making safe passes (admittedly poor passing has been a problem all season and continues to be a problem)
Yesterday a number of times a good attacking pass was avoided in favour of a pass in field.

When we was kids, we would draw a circle with a piece of chalk on a brick wall
and we would take it in turns and kick a ball to see,
how many times we could hit inside the circle.

I think this should be brought back into our training schedule,
but instead of a 'chalk circle' they should draw a Barn Door!

And give each player a banjo?

Last edited: