Ukraine Situation | Vital Football

Ukraine Situation

ME8_Gills

Vital Reserves Team
Unfortunately it looks like it is all going to kick off in Ukraine soon. The massive Russian build up all around the the borders are ready to move at any point. I really feel for the people of Ukraine in what is bound to be a long a drawn out occupation, with a large loss of life and suffering. Crimea has already been occupied for 8 years.
It puts our relegation fears in perspective when your every day ways of life are threatened.

Unfortunately it looks like it is all going to kick off in Ukraine soon. The massive Russian build up all around the the borders are ready to move at any point. I really feel for the people of Ukraine in what is bound to be a long a drawn out occupation, with a large loss of life and suffering. Crimea has already been occupied for 8 years.
It puts our relegation fears in perspective when your every day ways of life are threatened.

Yeah, but what`s all that got to do with cakes, wine, parties and whether or not Cressida Dick is woke enough. Priorities, please... !

Crimea's different. Actually is a strong Russian majority, but done the way it was done, no one can recognize it.

The Russians have made a mistake. They made a high profile, high demand -the two draft treaties -from which it is hard to back off. The result is that there's no basic formula around which all the parties can negotiate details.

The best hope is that everybody lets the whole thing just fade out. One good reason to be grateful for 24 hour news cycles and attention spans of filleted gnats.

If Russia goes for it, a fast collapse will bolster their claim that the place is a joke and not worth defending. If it puts up a fight -either conventional or irregular- then Mr. Putin himself may be in big trouble.

It's looking bad. My money is Russia doing something half-assed like expanding the Donbas bit and then another frozen dispute.

Just look at the Russians, not a single happy neighbor except for China which is quite happy to hold Moscow's coat while Putin takes all the risks.

I really hope the Russians don't invade the Ukraine. Though I believe the Ukraines will resist by both regular forces and guerrilla tactics, making life difficult and expensive for Moscow. It could also cause a major spilt in EU unity, as the eastern EU members feel much more vulnerable than the western states, and the Germans need Russian gas. We the British should stay out of any fighting, and do as little as possible whilst still staying loyal to NATO.

I seem to remember from my history lessons that even in the second world war, the germans were not afraid to invade Russia despite being heavily outnumbered, and would probably have succeeded if Hitler did not make the error of invading in their winter, condemning a large part of his forces to freeze to death.

They have not got a great record in conventional war but the nuclear option is why we have rightly feared them in recent times, particularly during the cold war.

Add to that, as jokerman points out, China seems to be their only friend and that is only in a shared hatred of the west.

Having provided arms for Ukraine, they could make things very uncomfortable for Putin if he makes the wrong move.

The USAF has deployed 4 x B-52 from their base outside Delaware (Dover Air Base) to RAF Fairford. Happen last week.
B2 Lancers have also been relocated to various other bases as "reserve".
The Royal Air Force has already flown more flights to support this than the whole Afgan escape exercise.
Certainly a case of who's going to blink first.

I seem to remember from my history lessons that even in the second world war, the germans were not afraid to invade Russia despite being heavily outnumbered, and would probably have succeeded if Hitler did not make the error of invading in their winter, condemning a large part of his forces to freeze to death.

They have not got a great record in conventional war but the nuclear option is why we have rightly feared them in recent times, particularly during the cold war.

Add to that, as jokerman points out, China seems to be their only friend and that is only in a shared hatred of the west.

Having provided arms for Ukraine, they could make things very uncomfortable for Putin if he makes the wrong move.

They went after soldiers instead of Moscow in 1941, and got caught by winter. They’d have lost anyhow. Scales of economies and people beat tech and milt skill these days.

Jokerman said
"Just look at the Russians, not a single happy neighbor except for China which is quite happy to hold Moscow's coat while Putin takes all the risks."

Think your right. This situation could of happened in Belarus if their government hadn't rigged their general election a couple of years ago. The leader of the opposition is in exile somewhere. All the demonstration and rallies were quashed after the public wanted a more western style democracy.

I posted that I really hope that Russia does not invade The Ukraine. As I posted earlier I think what is happening is that Putin has taken up a robust but costly negotiating position. The problem is will the Ukrainians accept any agreement imposed on them.

The USAF has deployed 4 x B-52 from their base outside Delaware (Dover Air Base) to RAF Fairford. Happen last week.
B2 Lancers have also been relocated to various other bases as "reserve".
The Royal Air Force has already flown more flights to support this than the whole Afgan escape exercise.
Certainly a case of who's going to blink first.
Misinformation, their from Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota.
Operating under CHIEF 11, 12, 13 and 14 for anyone using a flight tracker.
Few a training flight over the weekend into northern Europe after dusk.

I worry about all this warmongering .... can the US & UK governments be trusted in all of this ? Think, Iraq - WMD, Tony Bliar etc

The US & UK are not the aggressors here. I guarantee that they will not be the parties to make the next move.

There has been no 9/11 to retaliate about this time and Biden's withdrawal from Afghanistan suggests to me that he is actually trying to reduce the activity of their armed forces, not increase it.

How many times do you let Putin take the p*ss? Or do you believe that the chosen holiday destination of two male ex KGB officers is usually sightseeing in Salisbury?

What a very strange way of looking at the situation 😳
Question the aggressor not the spectator.
Have you turned native ?
Well, I don't trust any of these super powers ....!

But it's obvious that Russia is definitely intimidating, however, the Minsk Agreements were never implemented,....
Behind the scenes in the Ukraine with the CIA's involvement has been written about many times.
That Russia is virtually surrounded by US military bases , missiles etc is also very intimidating ....

What would happen if Russia turned off the gas, I wonder ....? or,is that something the US would like to happen ?

:surrender: :surrender: :help:

Last edited:

Both Hitler and Napoleon made the mistake of attacking Russia which weakened them both. It also led to the power struggle after WWii with Russia claiming they won the war and US/UK doing the same. The Russians 'liberated' eastern europe but came 'not as liberators but as conquerors' committing war crimes and atrocities as they went.

Illegal wars are ok but if he had eaten birthday cake during lockdown he'd have been f*cked

Problem is Nobby that virtually every head of state and every half way competent tory outside the cabinet makes Johnson look and sound like a party going fool. That's the link. For my part I'm taking Arthur Crudup's advice

Never been quite sure what an "illegal war" is, to be honest.

Do dictators or tyrants check with their legal advisors? Perhaps Saddam Hussein contacted his favoured local solicitors before his earlier invasion and occupation of Kuwait?

It seems that any laws or rules only apply to certain western "civilised" countries whereas a free for all applies to the rest.

Ideally, any legal system is backed by a free electoral system. Ukraine has theirs, so how "legal" is Putin's interference?