Uddersfield v Us | Page 4 | Vital Football

Uddersfield v Us

Overall a good fightback, but I would like us to keep playing at 1-0 up instead of only changing gear once we have conceded.

Oscar, I think we did keep playing, because exactly as you said, we came out 2nd half 1-0 up and rattled them and really ought to have scored a couple more in the period immediately after HT. …but… there are two teams on the pitch and they made a couple of changes and certainly upped their attacking game.
We were pressed back rather than sat back … but we came through, so nothing much to complain about last night to be fair.

We battle to the death, our goals after 70 - 75 minutes must reflect that.

I think the young man got a little lesson in if you cant take it dont give it out, goading mclean and running to his dad moaning when james, rightly or wrongly, reacted

I'm not sure our fans realised the chant they did was in relation to a about 10 year old but I have to admit I had a laugh at the time

What kind of parent allows his/her child especially one so young in thinking it's acceptable to abuse a professional sportsperson?

An overweight one by the look of it. I did feel a bit sorry for the young man as he visibly wilted on hearing the booming chant of " you fat bastard ".

Another great result and another example of the exceptional work rate and spirit we have in the camp. It wasn't a sexy performance but one that was fought hard for and at this level any win is a good one. It's another important 3 points on the board in what will probably turn out to be a 6 pointer.

It was a strange game where we could've easily scored and conceded 3 or 4 goals and come away with a heavy loss, big win or high scoring draw. Both sides were guilty of missing big chances so depending on your perspective you could say either side rode their luck at times.

Our team selection, tactics and formation i thought was a step in the right direction. A much more balanced team with more players comfortable on the ball and threat. There was clearly a concerted effort to try and mix it up and not jump pump it long all the time which was also good to see. The attacking play at times looked much better with us getting more men forward and keeping the ball down but but at other times we probably reverted a bit back to long ball. But it's not all going to transform over night - so i thought it was progress that we'll hopefully continue with and get better at.

I thought Huddersfield picked a very unbalanced team and they are obviously low on confidence so it was a good time to play them. They were absolutely woeful for large periods of the game, you can see why they are in the bottom 3 and struggling for points. But every now and again they'd show some nice fluidity and pass and move and cut us open but fortunately when those chances arrived they missed them. I think that's the big difference in the Championship to L1, at this level even if you catch a side in poor form they still have a potential moment of quality to score or create a goal.

Huddersfield were not that comfortable on the ball at the back so our high press was causing them major problems but after the goal we started to sit back more and invite them on. We tried to sit on what we had and not risk it to push hard for a second and just look for counters. This gave a shakey Hudderfield side more time and space and made them look a bit better and as the game went deeper into the second half we seemed to have largely surrendered midfield and were like Luton just going into attack vs defence and trying to funnel them into areas we were comfortable at defending. It largely worked but it only takes one lapse of concentration or bounce of the ball and the opposition get an equaliser and that's happened.

At that point the momentum was with Huddersfield and we could easily have capitulated but we made changes that helped us stabalise and in a style typical for this group of players they showed tremendous character to bounced back and hit a late winner. I'd have said the changes we made probably should've come before they equalised but thankfully they still had the desired impact. It's made a huge difference in these last few games to finally have a bench that can changes games.

The form first 10 games of the season can be deceptive as you are riding the wave of promotion, other teams are complacent, etc, which makes it so important you get points on the board during that spell. It's obviously been a strong start to the season results wise, and but what i find quite encouraging is we've managed to get those results without being at our best. We've had patches here and there when we've looked good and the work rate and defending has been superb as always - but we've not really found our rhythm going forward yet but still been able to compete. We are clearly still adapting to this level and trying to work out our best team and tactics as we go - so hopefully if we can manage as we have during that transition, when we have a more settled team and style we've got potential to do well.

Individually:
Jones - the saves he made were probably ones you'd expect him to make but when he was called on he made them. Another good game from Jamie.

Nyambe - his energy, pace, strength, defending were all superb again, drove forward when he had the opportunity. But it was noticeable when he got into good areas he didn't want to go himself and was always looking to someone else to put a cross in. If he could add a final ball to his game he's be a complete player.

Whatmough and Tilt - defended very well throughout, Whatmough unlucky to hit the post and phenomenal goal line clearance from Tilt that unfortunately didn't keep the ball out for long.

McClean - the black shirt made it impossible to know if he wore a black armband or not, but he handled the pre match stuff very maturely. He made it clear he wasn't joining in fully by standing at the end and not putting his arm round his team mates but it didn't draw much attention to it like in the past when past he'd turned his back on the anthem. I'm sure some people will still find fault with that, but i thought he was respectful without endorsing it - which is fair IMO. Took a lot of stick from the crowd but kept his cool and didn't let any frustration into his performance on the pitch. In the game i thought he had a better time at left back than he'd been having as a left wing / back. He was probably not as protected by Aasgaard as much he'd have liked often getting out numbered but he defended well overall and put in the vital cross for Langs winner.

Shinnie - first half he ran the show, making important tackles, interceptions and making a huge difference in showing for the ball and carrying it out from def mid - we we badly miss when Naylor starts. Second half he faded as we seemed to lose midfield and sit deeper but i think he's probably done enough to cement himself as a starter now.

Power - did ok, not one of his most notable games where he is pulling all the strings but worked hard, picked some good passes and played his part. Had a couple of decent shooting chances but probably rushed them when he had a bit more time.

Lang - it's been a tough step up from him, but he's finally finding his feet and starting to terrorise defenders with his direct running. He was our major outlet like last season picking up the ball from deep and creating problems for them. Having more attackers on the pitch i think meant they couldn't double and triple mark him as easily and gave him the space to do the damage. Did well to win the penalty and for me he should've won a second one but i think although he was fouled a theatric fall and the ref not wanting to give the same side and player 2 pens went against him. I think if Lang hadn't already won a pen he might have got that one. He spurned a golden chance in the 1 on 1 but made up for it with superb strength and turn for the winner. It'll do his confidence the world of good and very positive signs he is going to come good.

Keane - superb penalty, some nice touches here and there but probably not really in the game as much as you'd like.

Aasgaard - had his moments where he showed his class, and had a couple of good shooting opportunities you'd expect him to do better with that he rushed when he probably had more time than he realised. Probably left McClean a little exposed defensively at times and overall a bit of a quiet game but he's not used to starting games so i'm sure he'll get better the more game time he gets.

Magennis - i thought he probably lost the majority of the headers and was often out muscled by the giant centre half he was against but he won a couple of important flick on's that could've resulted in goals.

Broadhead - made a very good impression again in a very short cameo, his link up with Wyke already looks very exciting. Hope we can start him soon, looks a top class player.

Wyke - he wasn't on long but when he came on i felt he changed the game as the ball wasn't sticking and he was winning most headers and holding the ball very well. Looked very classy - hopefully we can see him start soon.

Naylor - came on to help defend, had a real heart in the mouth moment on a miss kicked clearance.

Kerr - came on late to help defend and did his job as you'd expect.

They only had about five minutes together but once I saw enough to know that Charlie Wyke and Nathan Broadhead would form a formidable partnership if given the chance to play together. You also got another glimpse of why Wyke is so much better than Magennis. Both are as good as each other in the air, but Wyke is far far superior with the ball at his feet and holding play up.

I feel really sorry for Broadhead. I saw the latest Wales squad this morning and he's more than good enough to be in ahead of some names. But not being given any starts to really show what he can do is hurting him and could ultimately cost him a place at the World Cup.

They only had about five minutes together but once I saw enough to know that Charlie Wyke and Nathan Broadhead would form a formidable partnership if given the chance to play together. You also got another glimpse of why Wyke is so much better than Magennis. Both are as good as each other in the air, but Wyke is far far superior with the ball at his feet and holding play up.

I feel really sorry for Broadhead. I saw the latest Wales squad this morning and he's more than good enough to be in ahead of some names. But not being given any starts to really show what he can do is hurting him and could ultimately cost him a place at the World Cup.

I can understand if Charlie doesn't start every week, but unless he's not fit enough, Broadhead should be starting every week he is class.

I think there's a few things going on with the team selection - one of them is Richardson is giving last seasons players every chance to come good before dropping them.

Another thing is the way we play super physical, super fit, non stop probably requires some of the new players (especially those without full preseasons) time to get to the required levels. I strongly suspect we run our players harder than most.

And i also think the plan has been to bring on some of the better players towards the end against tiring legs to win the game.

It's one of those where if you are losing with those players on the bench you look a fool to not start them. But if you keep it level and they come on and win it you look a genius. If we weren't getting results we may have seen more changes sooner - but at the moment we've had the luxury of getting results without being rushed into making changes to the team.

It's a kind of a win - win situation for Leam regarding the team selection. Full credit in giving the players from last season the chance to shine this season, which in turn is up to the players to prove to the manager he was right to show faith in them, but knowing they may very well lose their place should they find themselves either underperforming or sadly, not suited to this level.

At this moment in time, there is no need for a complete overhaul. But maybe after 10 games, Leam is starting to perhaps see who can cut it & who can't.

I think there's a few things going on with the team selection - one of them is Richardson is giving last seasons players every chance to come good before dropping them.

Another thing is the way we play super physical, super fit, non stop probably requires some of the new players (especially those without full preseasons) time to get to the required levels. I strongly suspect we run our players harder than most.

And i also think the plan has been to bring on some of the better players towards the end against tiring legs to win the game.

It's one of those where if you are losing with those players on the bench you look a fool to not start them. But if you keep it level and they come on and win it you look a genius. If we weren't getting results we may have seen more changes sooner - but at the moment we've had the luxury of getting results without being rushed into making changes to the team.

More or less the point I was making about the Luton game. It appears to me that LR wants to remain loyal to the players that came up and give them their chance but knows he has to integrate the new players into the team.

I think you are right about the fitness levels of the new players, and Charlie, who didn't have the pre-season with us and are still building up to the full 90 minutes at the pace we play.

I think the game plan is to play it tight for the first 60 and then introduce the new players who can do damage in the final 30 at present.

There was a lot of criticism of the early stages at Luton, and probably rightly so, but the game plan will not work every time and will require LR to realise when and where to abandon that tactic and make the changes. I have no doubt that this will come with time spent managing in this division, but we need to be patient and allow him the time, just as we need to give time for players to adjust and produce their best.

It's a kind of a win - win situation for Leam regarding the team selection. Full credit in giving the players from last season the chance to shine this season, which in turn is up to the players to prove to the manager he was right to show faith in them, but knowing they may very well lose their place should they find themselves either underperforming or sadly, not suited to this level.

At this moment in time, there is no need for a complete overhaul. But maybe after 10 games, Leam is starting to perhaps see who can cut it & who can't.

For me, the juries still out about Callum Lang and Tom Naylor. I do like Will Keane, but I believe Nathan Broadhead is far better and should take Keane's shirt.

For me, the juries still out about Callum Lang and Tom Naylor. I do like Will Keane, but I believe Nathan Broadhead is far better and should take Keane's shirt.

I've said on many occasions, Naylor was my POTS last season. But I had my reservations if he could cut it at championship level. I'm also of your opinion too re Keane & Lang. Although from what I'm reading either on here or Facebook, last night was Langs best game thus far this season.

What a start to season. Need to get at reading early on Saturday. Their away form has been ropey. With most of our forwards having got a goal now, results getting better and the spirit is strong so confidence should be high.

I've said on many occasions, Naylor was my POTS last season. But I had my reservations if he could cut it at championship level. I'm also of your opinion too re Keane & Lang. Although from what I'm reading either on here or Facebook, last night was Langs best game thus far this season.

Last night it was like last season's Lang, picking up the ball and beating his man every time. Their left big sided centre half was making his debut on loan from Man City and Lang had him in his back pocket.

Sometimes players just take a few games to settle after stepping up a level while some never can - hopefully Lang is the former.

What worries me king is that Lang still has all the tricks and genuinely played well Tuesday but his problem is lack of pace....demonstrated by the clear on goal dash . I think this is the reason he throws himself to ground so often .