TuBBz's Mobile Phone Thread | Page 85 | Vital Football

TuBBz's Mobile Phone Thread

azreal13 - 5/1/2012 16:53

I assume you mean 500 mins?

Arc S is a thing of beauty, something all too rare in phones these days, Bravia screen tech, great camera, slim, light and I love the curve of the back.

I hope youre very happy together!

Edit: Just realised that my comments could apply to the woman in the three shop too!

Well I finally got it sorted. I tried to get contract, computer said no...addresses didn't match up, changed addresses, still computer said no. After 3 phoning me back twice, updating me etc etc I returned earlier today, computer said no. They went out of their way (the cynic suggests they are desperate for sales) to find an alternative, and finally...computer said yes. The joys of having two addresses!

Must admit my first day has eben confusing with the ARC S. My main issue now is trying to decide whether I get my previous number (I've had since 17) ported...or carry on with the one 3 have given me, as it's fairly easy to remember!

Not a massive fan that SE have seemingly tried to make it a Facebook phone...but I'm slowly working out how to de-intergrate taht!

azreal13 - 5/1/2012 16:53
Edit: Just realised that my comments could apply to the woman in the three shop too!

Not quite, she was quite rounded in the bottom department and the face wasn't quite Sony Quality screen...but still a gorgeous thing to look at.

murph - 6/1/2012 16:16

Not a massive fan that SE have seemingly tried to make it a Facebook phone...but I'm slowly working out how to de-intergrate taht!

Like it or loathe (have to admit I'm quite the fan myself) Facebook is one of the first things that many customer look for beyond the obvious these days.

Beauty of Android is that what you don't like you can change, albeit some stuff may require rooting, so you should be able to unpick what you don't want.

Glad you got it sorted, have fun!

Can someone explain my phones internet for me?

When I enable mobile internet sometimes I have a letter "E" on my status bar. Sometimes its a "H" and other times its "3G". I know what the 3G is but does anyone know what the H and E mean?

Draig Cymraeg - 17/1/2012 10:20

When I enable mobile internet sometimes I have a letter "E" on my status bar. Sometimes its a "H" and other times its "3G". I know what the 3G is but does anyone know what the H and E mean?

They are different speed broadband connections. I think fastest is H - HSDPA, then E - EDGE and finally 3G. I think that's the right order. I've got to go out now, so haven't got time to check.

Nah Edge is lower than 3G. Never heard of the other one. It's goes 'o' which is just GPRS ( the slowest) then Edge is second and 3G. Not sure what other one is. Is that 4G or something?

Draig Cymraeg - 17/1/2012 11:20

You've missed out the D, it should be H.D.E. :86:

GPRS = 2g
EDGE = 2.5g
3G = 3g (derp!)
HSDPA = 3.5g
LTE = 4G

Many phones will fluctuate between 3g and H, only switching to H when the connection is active as a power saving measure.

LTE isn't supported in the UK yet, its gaining momentum in the US, but the networks are fighting like a bunch of toddlers over the tender process for the auction for the spectrum allocation in this country, so is probably a way off. Since the digital TV switchover there is more space in the airwaves, so also likely in the near future will be a 3/3.5G signal on a lower frequency than currently, meaning greater coverage in rural areas and better indoor performance (lower frequency waves travel further and penetrate obstacles better) which can only be a good thing!

Alas, Heathfield, you have the GS II iirc, and the UK/European version doesn't have a 4g antenna. It DOES have a quad band HSDPA antenna, so when/if they start using other frequencies for 3g you will be in a position to take advantage, but true 4g requires a different phone altogether. If you're interested, check out how many near identical phones to UK models are being released in the US under a different name, but with the LTE antenna.

I'll say again though, a true 4G roll out is several years away (or looks to be at the minute) but much improved 3G could happen a lot sooner.

Prepared - 30/1/2012 19:32

I've had to order a new works phone, I've gone for the HTC Desire. Any good?

Hopefully you mean the Desire S, as the original Desire went OOP about a year ago!

But yes, I have one and I love it, big enough and powerful enough to do anything you'll ever likely need to do, but with a small enough screen that its more pocket friendly and slightly easier on its battery than the big Samsungs, Sensations etc..

You'll not regret it.