Tripps gets a deserved verbal kicking... | Vital Football

Tripps gets a deserved verbal kicking...

Spursex

Alert Team
“He is a full-back, not a winger” – Mauricio Pochettino demands defensive improvement from star after 3-2 win over Wolves

Published
8 hours ago
on
November 5, 2018

By Thomas Hein

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has come down hard on Kieran Trippier, reminding the Englishman of his defensive duties.

The English right-back had a hand in us conceding a pair of penalties in the 3-2 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Tottenham were comfortably leading 3-0 before the spot-kicks put us under unneeded pressure. The manager was speaking after the game and wasn’t pointing out the errors in the two penalties given by Juan Foyth.

Pochettino wanted to focus on the earlier moments before we gave away the penalties (h/t ESPN).

“You are going to see or have the answer. We provide [Kieran] with the platform to go forward because we create the system and dynamic to put him in the best position to play. In a different situation, I think he is a full-back, not a winger.
“It’s like no different full-back in the world. When you are in possession and go forward, you need to be strong too when you are in a defensive situation. We always compensate.”​

The manager pinpointed Trippier as needing to improve, but also wanted the other players to up their games.

“Kieran needs to improve in the defensive situation because in the last few games you have seen that we conceded a few actions. But like him, all the players need to improve in the defensive situation.”​

Tottenham were a bit lucky to come out with the win on Saturday, and we cannot afford slip-ups in our ties against PSV and Crystal Palace in the coming days.

Our Champions League progress depends on us getting the three points against the Dutch side, and even that may not be enough to see us through.

The first goal was down to stupidity. But he was back in position and successfully defended . It's not like he was half way up the pitch. Trying to nutmeg to play out was daft and he won't do it again. But I wouldn't want to stifle his attacking play, he did create the second goal by advancing up the pitch and delivering a trade mark cross. By staying back he ain't gonna be in position to do that.

Yes he was daft but I think it's getting a bit harsh to examine his capability as a defender.

Trips has had time to reflect on his performances and decision making recently. He seems the type of tough character to take it on the chin and get his head down to improve back to previous levels. For me, even those previous levels were nothing to write home about though. He is better when he can get forward though, as shown by his cross to Moura on Sat.

He's got off likely in some ways. I can't imagine the reaction here if Aurier had made those mistakes against City and Wolves :-)

The first goal was down to stupidity. But he was back in position and successfully defended . It's not like he was half way up the pitch. Trying to nutmeg to play out was daft and he won't do it again. But I wouldn't want to stifle his attacking play, he did create the second goal by advancing up the pitch and delivering a trade mark cross. By staying back he ain't gonna be in position to do that.

Yes he was daft but I think it's getting a bit harsh to examine his capability as a defender.

I don't. He wasn't thinking defence, he was thinking "watch me I'm a naffing England star and this is Wolves".

Naff him. He needs a slap.

When 80 is handing out slaps you have earned one. He thinks he's Roberto Carlos because roasted Panama and bent in a worldy against Croatia. I wonder if we should just cash in? The lads done well but he is a bit short at the level we need. As many have said we need a left back...I think we need a right. No longer buying Walker-peters.

Exactly what’s needed. Basically the team gives him the opportunities to do what he does very well by making space for his excellent crosses. In return the team needs him to concentrate on the basics of defending and that means not trying to meg someone near to his own goal line. Applies to the whole team but when I referred to basics elsewhere on this site I also included challenging for headers. I know he isn’t the tallest but when a ball has gone past the attacker and he chooses not to head it he is giving the attacker a second opportunity.
Aurier was starting to show promise. Let them fight it out properly. If both are fit, the one who is in best form should play

Nobody has ever scored a goal with the ball in the back row of the stand . I was taught that as a five year old

He had already defended and won the ball. His defensive ability worked. He tried to play out and catch them on the break which was wrong obviously but it doesn't write him off as a defender. He was trying to be positive....over positive as it turns out. He just needs to learn from it and I'm sure he will.

I don't. He wasn't thinking defence, he was thinking "watch me I'm a naffing England star and this is Wolves".

Naff him. He needs a slap.

He had the defence bit done and dusted so he was thinking defence, then tried to be positive and got it wrong. He will learn from it. He's had a slap quite rightly.

You know, it's an interesting one with Tripps. As much as I slated him for his 'arrogance', he DOES need to stick to some basics when defending. After all, first and foremost he is a defender. Two reasons I'd let him off this time are: 1), he generally does contribute on the wing (in our system) and has provided numerous assists/threats and 2) I have no doubt he will review the game and will have been very disappointed with his recent defending and I fully expect a reaction.

Now funny how Tripps is under spot light for going a hero to zero. Take a look on the other wing, Davies, who is Mr Basic in every sense and no where good enough for a top 4 team. All our potent attacks go via the RHS. Little action on the LHS and he's getting a free ride. Because we are lopside in our attacks, Tripps imo has higher demands put on him. This imbalance in our set up (imo) creates problems.

He had the defence bit done and dusted so he was thinking defence, then tried to be positive and got it wrong. He will learn from it. He's had a slap quite rightly.
I'm sorry NRD I can't agree with your assessment, under no circumstance do you attempt something like that in that area of the pitch. I can't even work out why he even turned that way in the first place, he needs to spend a couple of games on the bench.

I should've added a no. 3 to my list, i.e, we won and he provided an assist mitigates it somewhat.
Not in my book, if you look at most the goals we've conceded recently they have come from individual errors. He could quite easily have cost us that game and he certainly cost us the Citeh game. Make one error is forgivable making two of the nature that he did is not IMO.

He hadn't done the defending for me. He'd only done the first part of the defending right by gaining possession. To complete the job he needed to turn away from goal and find a team mate or put his foot through it. He chose to turn into danger and tried a ridiculous nutmeg that I can only think was aimed for Foyth to retain possession. Such poor decision making, just like not choosing to jump for the header that created the City goal.

Glad he got berated...hell for that matter I think Davies should be included as well. They need to be experts at their primary job and that is to DEFEND first, then if the situation allows move up and assist in the attack.

BL - We need to shore up our defense if we want a chance at doing anything this season.

I honestly can't recall any goals coming from Davies side recently, goals have either been from set pieces or individual errors. None of which as far as I can recall have been down to Davies.

I honestly can't recall any goals coming from Davies side recently, goals have either been from set pieces or individual errors. None of which as far as I can recall have been down to Davies.

What's interesting is that Davies has made mistakes but goals haven't come from his side. At the start of the season there were a couple of times when he was so tucked in that they just picked him off, but more recently no direct goals. Hopefully, that will help his form improve as he came out of pre-season in calamitous mode.

He's not offering much going forward though.