Tripps gets a deserved verbal kicking... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tripps gets a deserved verbal kicking...

Needs dropping and upgrading on in the Window.

He is not a very good defender and has never been more than a decent back up.

Time for Serge/KWP to be given a run.

He's not offering much going forward though.
That's precisely the point I was trying to make by bringing Davies in to the equation. There appears to be far greater reliance on Trippier to provide those crosses in the final 3rd and he gets stranded and the oppo tend to exploit his side for attacks. In the England set up Southgate had Walker providing the cover for Tripp. Davies doesn't get stranded as he hardly makes any forays in to the final 3rd. So, we either play with WB's or JUST defenders. Seems there's more being asked of Trippier because of his ability and Davies just has to do a bit of meandering up to halfway line.

So my point was not about Davies conceding possession and leading to goals, more a case of not offering much as a WB. Seriously folks just pay attention to Davies' contribution in the next game to assess his (non)usefulness to the team. IMO of course!

That's precisely the point I was trying to make by bringing Davies in to the equation. There appears to be far greater reliance on Trippier to provide those crosses in the final 3rd and he gets stranded and the oppo tend to exploit his side for attacks. In the England set up Southgate had Walker providing the cover for Tripp. Davies doesn't get stranded as he hardly makes any forays in to the final 3rd. So, we either play with WB's or JUST defenders. Seems there's more being asked of Trippier because of his ability and Davies just has to do a bit of meandering up to halfway line.

So my point was not about Davies conceding possession and leading to goals, more a case of not offering much as a WB. Seriously folks just pay attention to Davies' contribution in the next game to assess his (non)usefulness to the team. IMO of course!

Critical - I'm with you on Davies. What I would also ask people to watch is Son's complete lack of defensive, tactical brain. His defending is just a series of short sprints to get back into a position he should have been in the first place when you're in a system of defending as a unit. That hurts Davies a lot as he is often 2 on 1. The funny thing is that commentators are always complimenting Son on his high energy and endless running. If only they looked closer. Moura is quite similar in that weakness.

Also, when I've seen us play live this year, I notice that we're team that's biased to the right side of the pitch. Dier, Winks, Eriksen etc play seem to leave that left channel empty for large periods of the game. That generally means it's easier for Trips to defend as he has more bodies there. It's different when Dembele is playing and Dele makes some effort to protect Davies who has the tougher role in our setup.

Your spot on. Ive been digging out Trips but Davis is hiding behind the fact that we expect very little in the last third. He is a little better in duels (but not much) but is exposed less often as he risks very little. Just a token puff to the halfway line then back.

Critical - I'm with you on Davies. What I would also ask people to watch is Son's complete lack of defensive, tactical brain. His defending is just a series of short sprints to get back into a position he should have been in the first place when you're in a system of defending as a unit. That hurts Davies a lot as he is often 2 on 1. The funny thing is that commentators are always complimenting Son on his high energy and endless running. If only they looked closer. Moura is quite similar in that weakness.

Muttley that's another area I want to highlight from my perspective:

Son usually hogs the LHS in the final 3rd though often runs in to cul-de-sacs. So, with Son being there, there's little demand for Davies to double up with him. Now on the other wing, Moura or Lamela have tendencies to cut in and take on defenders, thus leaving Trippier with acres of space. How many time have we seen a diagonal ball to Tripps totally unmarked thus affording him ample time to whip those crosses in.

Yes, I agree with you that Son offers less in defensive role (unlike Lamela) and tends to monopolise the LHS final 3rd.... may be that's why Davies doesn't advance so much or it's a case of knowing his weakness we rely on Son to do the deadly stuff up field. However even in Son's absence, we offer little threat from the LHS and that imo is down to Davies.

Anyway, back to the game tonight. I'd like to see Harry of old to come forward.

I hadn't realised the following stat:

Spurs striker Harry Kane has the best goals per game ratio of any player in Champions League history to play at least 10 matches in the competition (0.85 - 11 goals in 13 matches).

Glad he got berated...hell for that matter I think Davies should be included as well. They need to be experts at their primary job and that is to DEFEND first, then if the situation allows move up and assist in the attack.

BL - We need to shore up our defense if we want a chance at doing anything this season.

Our defense is one of several things we need to shore up if we want to do anything this season:

…Better in defense

Better at keeping the ball

Better at passing.

Better at closing out games

Better at finishing.

If that isn’t enough we make mistake followed by mistakes

Too much to fix.

Muttley that's another area I want to highlight from my perspective:

Son usually hogs the LHS in the final 3rd though often runs in to cul-de-sacs. So, with Son being there, there's little demand for Davies to double up with him. Now on the other wing, Moura or Lamela have tendencies to cut in and take on defenders, thus leaving Trippier with acres of space. How many time have we seen a diagonal ball to Tripps totally unmarked thus affording him ample time to whip those crosses in.

Yes, I agree with you that Son offers less in defensive role (unlike Lamela) and tends to monopolise the LHS final 3rd.... may be that's why Davies doesn't advance so much or it's a case of knowing his weakness we rely on Son to do the deadly stuff up field. However even in Son's absence, we offer little threat from the LHS and that imo is down to Davies.

When Rose is back the left side is better.

Also you want to see who is the midfielder in front of Davies/Tripps. If it is someone that provides help when defending, then a weaker back will find more success. But if they are alone on an island...well they better be solid...and I will second Kiny when he says it is time for Serge and KWP to get regular time.

Davies gets roasted most games. He doesn't have the pace or stamina to cope with the system. Verts has covered his ass for way too long.

The problem is our manager thinks Trippier and Davies can do the same job Rose and Walker did. Look at his comments in that interview the bloke still doesn't get it.

The problem is they can't as they are not natural athletes and can not bomb up and down the pitch every game like they did.

Walker was always making mistakes he just got away with it because he was a great athlete. Rose at his peak was a bit more intelligent but lets face it his best days are gone.

The manager is the problem not the players. He is the one that has not replaced Walker or Rose with natural wing backs.

IMO we need a new number 1 RWB and a new number 1 LWB. We don't have either player at the club.

Davies gets roasted most games. He doesn't have the pace or stamina to cope with the system. Verts has covered his ass for way too long.

The problem is our manager thinks Trippier and Davies can do the same job Rose and Walker did. Look at his comments in that interview the bloke still doesn't get it.

The problem is they can't as they are not natural athletes and can not bomb up and down the pitch every game like they did.

Walker was always making mistakes he just got away with it because he was a great athlete. Rose at his peak was a bit more intelligent but lets face it his best days are gone.

The manager is the problem not the players. He is the one that has not replaced Walker or Rose with natural wing backs.

IMO we need a new number 1 RWB and a new number 1 LWB. We don't have either player at the club.

Whilst I agree, I also appreciate that there is a dearth of great fullbacks in world football right now. The great ones are at the biggest clubs and not gettable by Spurs. On top of that, 4 or our 5 full-backs tick the homegrown box and we need to manage through that.

Also, why I sort of knew we'd have another season of suffering our full-backs every week !!!

Whilst I agree, I also appreciate that there is a dearth of great fullbacks in world football right now. The great ones are at the biggest clubs and not gettable by Spurs. On top of that, 4 or our 5 full-backs tick the homegrown box and we need to manage through that.

Also, why I sort of knew we'd have another season of suffering our full-backs every week !!!

I don't think we need great full backs. Walker wasn't one IMO but because he was a great athlete he fitted the system.

Like you I wrote the season off after the summers failings but if we are too move forward, then like it or not we will need to spend some money. Can we win the title with our current crop? I don't think we can.

The home grown problem is down to our manager making poor choices over the last few seasons.

That Tierny lad might be a option for the left hand side....

Whoever we sign we will have to bring in some British lads.

I don't think we need great full backs. Walker wasn't one IMO but because he was a great athlete he fitted the system.

Like you I wrote the season off after the summers failings but if we are too move forward, then like it or not we will need to spend some money. Can we win the title with our current crop? I don't think we can.

The home grown problem is down to our manager making poor choices over the last few seasons.

That Tierny lad might be a option for the left hand side....

Whoever we sign we will have to bring in some British lads.

Along with Tierney, I'm guessing that Wan-Bissaka (Palace) and Chilwell (Leicester) will now be the ones to watch. City are already sniffing around Wan-Bissaka.

Along with Tierney, I'm guessing that Wan-Bissaka (Palace) and Chilwell (Leicester) will now be the ones to watch. City are already sniffing around Wan-Bissaka.

Wan-Bissaka was a winger before being converted so will have the basic tools needed already.

I would love to see that happen, both FB positions have been a problem. I bet many that were ready to jump on the club if we had sold Rose 18 months ago for £40m now wish we had, and I include myself in that.
I don't think we will see the real Danny Rose again.

I would love to see that happen, both FB positions have been a problem. I bet many that were ready to jump on the club if we had sold Rose 18 months ago for £40m now wish we had, and I include myself in that.
I don't think we will see the real Danny Rose again.

He was the best LWB in Europe at the time. However he was showing signs of breaking down mentally and physically. When analysed most would have been up for it once things settled down.

He was the best LWB in Europe at the time. However he was showing signs of breaking down mentally and physically. When analysed most would have been up for it once things settled down.

Question is, will we be saying the same thing about Trippier after rumours suggesting there was £40m offers on the table after his World Cup performance.

Can't see us more than £25m for either Rose or Trippier now.

Question is, will we be saying the same thing about Trippier after rumours suggesting there was £40m offers on the table after his World Cup performance.

Can't see us more than £25m for either Rose or Trippier now.

World Cups always over inflate players, unless you are one of the best. Just the way it is.

Poch knew this and was a big reason why he wanted his first choice picks brought in before the World Cup.