Treatment of our Supporters | Vital Football

Treatment of our Supporters

Ex-Ref

Vital Squad Member
I don't know if it's been asked elsewhere, but leaving our supporters to withstand the storm on an open terrace should be looked into by the league. Malice was the only reason for this. Some Elderly, kids and women apparantly left very early, unable to tolerate the open conditions.

Totally ridiculous. More blokes hanging about in the toilets at half time than Hampstead Heath ( so I've heard, ah hmm). Because that was the only shelter. Meanwhile under the covered terrace behind the goal they had about 50 fans. Totally unacceptable and a disregard for fans safety - serious risk of hyperthermia last night. They will have worse conditions there this winter, what will it take before they do something?

A complete disgrace with a virtually empty covered stand behind the goal. Cold, wet, shivering and bedraggled there was only a ten minute spell when there was not driving rain. The stewards were great and wanted us moved as did some of their fans, one of whom formally requested it. Many ot their fans after the game were embarrassed for us.

Even the security officers at half time thought we should be moved. The Head of Security was pathetic though, his big excuse "it will be like this when you visit Swindon" I pointed out the weather might be fine then and the answer literally left him speechless. He was also invited to stand with our fans to gauge what it was like but declined. He accepted there was no logic for us being on the terrace : "it is a Board decision".

It did however lead to a bit of a siege mentality, there was some great banter amongst the drowned rats. Danny, staff and players appreciated the conditions the travelling fans faced. A very satisfying if uncomfortable victory and a happy journey home.

How not to make friends and influence people. A letter from Clive and others on our Board might help rectify the situation for away fans in the future, especially through the winter.

berksimps - 14/9/2017 00:07

A complete disgrace with a virtually empty covered stand behind the goal. Cold, wet, shivering and bedraggled there was only a ten minute spell when there was not driving rain. The stewards were great and wanted us moved as did some of their fans, one of whom formally requested it. Many ot their fans after the game were embarrassed for us.

Even the security officers at half time thought we should be moved. The Head of Security was pathetic though, his big excuse "it will be like this when you visit Swindon" I pointed out the weather might be fine then and the answer literally left him speechless. He was also invited to stand with our fans to gauge what it was like but declined. He accepted there was no logic for us being on the terrace : "it is a Board decision".

It did however lead to a bit of a siege mentality, there was some great banter amongst the drowned rats. Danny, staff and players appreciated the conditions the travelling fans faced. A very satisfying if uncomfortable victory and a happy journey home.

Well done for sticking it out! Complete joke but seems par for the course with them lot based on some of the stuff that has come out following the game. Obviously we're the horrible lot!

I thought at one stage they were going to let us in as they opened the barrier to behind the goal. However it was just to flog us overpriced vegan food and raffle tickets.

There was a steward that was aggressive and starting blaming management when someone complained about the situation.

I am not sure why they have done it but they have made the faculties worse - crappy tent and having to walk over grass to get to the away end. Poor!

I think not all is rosey in Nailsworth

What was good though that the fans got under benetts skin and then a few minutes later he is as fault

Also we wouldn't have scored if their captain hasnt won the free kick by getting the refs ear!

Karma mr Vince!

321 on Tues night, a long way from home, in poor conditions and poor facilities is a superb effort, respect to those who went. League 1 MK dongs took just 369 to posh last night for a derby match about an hour down the road. Our support continues to amaze.

Long suffering Imp - 13/9/2017 08:29

321 on Tues night, a long way from home, in poor conditions and poor facilities is a superb effort, respect to those who went. League 1 MK dongs took just 369 to posh last night for a derby match about an hour down the road. Our support continues to amaze.
Although the ticketing arrangements (beneficially) allowed pay at the gate and some therefore joined the home fans under-cover, unfortunately there is no Eventbrite or similar record to allow our fans to be recognised in any "loyalty" mechanism for future ticket priority.

exhertsimp - 13/9/2017 08
Although the ticketing arrangements (beneficially) allowed pay at the gate and some therefore joined the home fans under-cover, unfortunately there is no Eventbrite or similar record to allow our fans to be recognised in any "loyalty" mechanism for future ticket priority.

There definitely should be. Most larger clubs do this, usually via a membership scheme.

You wouldn't put a cat or a dog out in weather like that. That club need to get their priorities sorted out. That said, I went in the home end on the other side. At times the rain was blowing horizontal straight in, but was better than being outside in it.

berksimps - 13/9/2017 08:07

How not to make friends and influence people. A letter from Clive and others on our Board might help rectify the situation for away fans in the future, especially through the winter.

Guy I work with here in Swindon says they have around 1200 seats under cover for away supporters. There is an open terrace which is only used as an over flow for away supporters usually local derbies, (holds another 2000 odd) like Oxford or the 2 Bristol sides.

A VGR fan wrote this....

"The highlight of the night for me was watching the Lincoln fans get absolutely drenched. Never liked them horrible bunch."

125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Phil_mitchell

What a nice fellow, eh. They were so well behaved at Sincil Bank last season too...all 5 of them.

If indeed it was a board decision to leave our weather battered fans out in those awful conditions, then when they visit us maybe we shouldn't pander to them like last season.
Maybe we shouldn't relax the dress code so DV can turn up in a t shirt and put some good Lincolnshire meats on the menu, instead of the courteous veggie offering.
Oh and we'll have 3 points while we're at it.

Will their new stadium have a retractable roof on the away end? In reverse so that it can be wound backwards if they want to be winkers to the away fans?

Not normally one to complain but last night was a joke!! Letter sent!

enquiries@efl.com;
Cc:
reception@forestgreenroversfc.com;
info@lincolncityfc.co.uk;
Dear EFL, copied to Forest Green Rovers (FAO Helen Taylor), copied to Lincoln City FC (FAO Liam Scully)

Followimg the FGR vs Lincoln City Match last night I would like to raise the followig concerns.

We knew some days in advance that the weather forecast for last nights match was likely to be horrendous. We weren't let down! I attended the match (Lincoln Fan) with my 7 year old son. We arrived at the ground about 90 minutes prior to the start of the match. We had hoped to grab a hot drink/food and some shelter in the bar area under the main stand. Unfortunately this has now been allocated to home fans only. We were diverted to a cold leaky tent in a muddy field behind one of the stands. Not a great customer experience but the only shelter from the weather. Very limited food and drink options.

My main reason for my letter of complaint is the lack of flexibility by Forest Green Rovers given the atrocious conditions. I contacted FGR on several occasions prior to the game to ask if there were any alternatives to an open terrace for the away fans given the forecast, no help or alternatives were offered. The fact that there are currently no options for away fans to either sit or stand with some cover (regardless of the weather) is poor. There will be many fans who will have been put off by this alone. I know many lincoln fans attended in the home ends last night (surely a security concern?) if I hadnt ordered my tickets well in advance I would have probably done the same.

Given FGR's recent attendances and given last nights weather conditions it was clear last nights attendance was likely to be around the 2000 mark. It was actually approx 1800 with 320 away fans. This is well under half of the grounds capacity. There were 100's of spare seats in the main stand and I counted approx 60 home fans in the covered terrace behind the goal where the away fans were last season. Would it have been unreasonable for one game to have allowed the away fans to have used this stand? I don't think so (there would be no argument from if the match attendance had been much bigger). I know at Lincoln the away fans are located in the most appropriate place given the predicted attendance. These were the worst conditions I have ever watched a football match in. I saw many fans leave well before the end of the game because they were frozen and soaked to the skin. The terrace was slippy with puddles of water everywhere. The stewards fielded a lot of complaints from the fans during the game. At half time I approached one of the stewards and asked if it would be possible for me and my 7 year old to be moved to an area of cover as he was soaked to the bone and wanted to go home. I was greeted with a "what the F*ck did you bring him here for, it's your own f*cking fault" in full view of my son. Is this an exemple of growing the game and trying to encourage children to come to games?

On a separate note there was a lot of cafuffle between players and management at the end of the game following an elleged spitting incident involving the FGR goalkeeper. I would encourage you to investigate this, again if true a terrible example for any children watching.

I hope that some learning can be taken from last night as I would hate to think other fans would have to go through the same.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards

I expect that the EFL will do a nice "while we appreciate your comments" letter. They are not going to do anything about their media darling fairytale story.

I would also expect an attitude of "what do you expect from the lower leagues/man up" type attitude but "diplomatically" dressed up in inoffensive management speak.

I expect the management of FGR to make the facilities and atmosphere for our team as hostile as possible (small gains and all that) as I would expect DC to them.

I get that they want to reduce the advantage of boisterous away fans v quiet village gathering. I understand that the ground is passed fit for standing spectators on that side and indeed for the non vulnerable is acceptable in all conditions (we've all done it and it's a part of being a fan); whether allowing the non vulnerable into an available covered area as a simple courtesy is down to them either way.

However as somebody who used to work in a service industry I find it revolting, cynical and completely unacceptable on a customer service level and worst of all welfare perspective that vulnerable elderly people were not allowed into a covered area of the ground.

FGR are a completely crass and classless Mickey Mouse outfit from Vince down to the players and management; many of their fans seem ok with a few idiots like every club including ours. I take the view that when Mickey Mouse FC rock up for the return fixture that we show our class and fully ensure that their supporters are made to feel very welcome and are well catered for. Furthermore we should allow Vince his foibles and show him how a league board room conducts itself with grace.

As for Cooper (if he's still got a job) and his obnoxious players they can take their chances with DC, the team and our fans - the complete tossers.

NewburyImp - 13/9/2017 10:05

Not normally one to complain but last night was a joke!! Letter sent!

enquiries@efl.com;
Cc:
reception@forestgreenroversfc.com;
info@lincolncityfc.co.uk;
Dear EFL, copied to Forest Green Rovers (FAO Helen Taylor), copied to Lincoln City FC (FAO Liam Scully)

Followimg the FGR vs Lincoln City Match last night I would like to raise the followig concerns.

We knew some days in advance that the weather forecast for last nights match was likely to be horrendous. We weren't let down! I attended the match (Lincoln Fan) with my 7 year old son. We arrived at the ground about 90 minutes prior to the start of the match. We had hoped to grab a hot drink/food and some shelter in the bar area under the main stand. Unfortunately this has now been allocated to home fans only. We were diverted to a cold leaky tent in a muddy field behind one of the stands. Not a great customer experience but the only shelter from the weather. Very limited food and drink options.

My main reason for my letter of complaint is the lack of flexibility by Forest Green Rovers given the atrocious conditions. I contacted FGR on several occasions prior to the game to ask if there were any alternatives to an open terrace for the away fans given the forecast, no help or alternatives were offered. The fact that there are currently no options for away fans to either sit or stand with some cover (regardless of the weather) is poor. There will be many fans who will have been put off by this alone. I know many lincoln fans attended in the home ends last night (surely a security concern?) if I hadnt ordered my tickets well in advance I would have probably done the same.

Given FGR's recent attendances and given last nights weather conditions it was clear last nights attendance was likely to be around the 2000 mark. It was actually approx 1800 with 320 away fans. This is well under half of the grounds capacity. There were 100's of spare seats in the main stand and I counted approx 60 home fans in the covered terrace behind the goal where the away fans were last season. Would it have been unreasonable for one game to have allowed the away fans to have used this stand? I don't think so (there would be no argument from if the match attendance had been much bigger). I know at Lincoln the away fans are located in the most appropriate place given the predicted attendance. These were the worst conditions I have ever watched a football match in. I saw many fans leave well before the end of the game because they were frozen and soaked to the skin. The terrace was slippy with puddles of water everywhere. The stewards fielded a lot of complaints from the fans during the game. At half time I approached one of the stewards and asked if it would be possible for me and my 7 year old to be moved to an area of cover as he was soaked to the bone and wanted to go home. I was greeted with a "what the F*ck did you bring him here for, it's your own f*cking fault" in full view of my son. Is this an exemple of growing the game and trying to encourage children to come to games?

On a separate note there was a lot of cafuffle between players and management at the end of the game following an elleged spitting incident involving the FGR goalkeeper. I would encourage you to investigate this, again if true a terrible example for any children watching.

I hope that some learning can be taken from last night as I would hate to think other fans would have to go through the same.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards

Good luck with that, it's clear FGR don't give a sh1t about what away fans have to endure, as long as the home team get any minsicule benefit. I mean those extra 60 vociferous home fans in the old away stand, all nice, warm and dry must be pandered for, rather than let them cram into the other over populated parts on the remaining two bits of the ground! It's about trying to get an atmosphere to support their team and so diminish that affect for opposition fans.

Well I hope for the return game at SB we can somehow return the favour, let them stand for the 90 (more like 115) minutes and if it's nice weather, have the sprinklers on them the whole time. :finger:

It's no wonder a lot of clubs didn't like FGR before, it's not going to help by treating the paying customer this way either now.

They'll be back in non-league next season where this kind of provision for away fans is the norm rather than the exception.
Tinpot bunch!

poacherimp - 13/9/2017 09:12

If indeed it was a board decision to leave our weather battered fans out in those awful conditions, then when they visit us maybe we shouldn't pander to them like last season.
Maybe we shouldn't relax the dress code so DV can turn up in a t shirt and put some good Lincolnshire meats on the menu, instead of the courteous veggie offering.
Oh and we'll have 3 points while we're at it.

I think we are bigger and better than that don't you? Both clubs are on different trajectories now and our respective managers definitely are!