Transfers - Summer 2024 | Page 22 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2024

Given the style of play we've adopted, I wouldn't be adverse to see both Sonny and Richi being moved on, Toney would certainly fill one of the roles - but who would we add that can compete with him?

For me, Kvaratskhelia and Leao are the 2 statement signings we could make in the left forward role. Mitoma might be the PL choice. Chiesa is another that clubs are looking at.

For the number nine shirt, it's a lot more difficult. Evan Ferguson is one name always mentioned. Can't say I know enough about him though. I guess we don't know enough yet about Scarlett / Veliz / Lankshear etc to know whether they can be in the 1st team squad and contribute behind Toney.

I'm like you though. I'm prepared to reinvent this forward line. We have numbers now and it's about upgrading the quality to take it to the next level. Solomom is still the wild card.

Given the style of play we've adopted, I wouldn't be adverse to see both Sonny and Richi being moved on, Toney would certainly fill one of the roles - but who would we add that can compete with him?
Perish the thought. If our moving Sonny out turns out to be Postco's legacy, that scares me. I'd far rather he played to Sonny's strengths, the prospect of losing Kane and Son in quick succession is for me unthinkable. It's ironic that it was not possible to give his predecessors the same level of financial support as Postco is now receiving, at a time when building a team around Kane and Son really could have taken us places.

Perish the thought. If our moving Sonny out turns out to be Postco's legacy, that scares me. I'd far rather he played to Sonny's strengths, the prospect of losing Kane and Son in quick succession is for me unthinkable. It's ironic that it was not possible to give his predecessors the same level of financial support as Postco is now receiving, at a time when building a team around Kane and Son really could have taken us places.
He's ageing, he is simply not as effective as he has been, we are dreadful at holding onto players for too long, he's been a great servant, but he just doesn't fit Ange's style of play well - and in my mind, we must break with the past and think about the future now.

Last edited:

Out of interest, how do we play to Sonny's strengths at this phase of his career? Even with a blank canvas, I'm not quite sure nowadays. In Ange's system where the wide players have to stay really wide at times, I worry that's not his game. He is definitely struggling as a 9.

Out of interest, how do we play to Sonny's strengths at this phase of his career? Even with a blank canvas, I'm not quite sure nowadays. In Ange's system where the wide players have to stay really wide at times, I worry that's not his game. He is definitely struggling as a 9.
I think we are all in agreement that he is not a number 9. Whether Postco's system merits sacrificing Son's true abilities is another matter altogether, particularly when that system is dependent on defenders being attackers, leaving Van Der Ven to play a lone role at the back.

I think we are all in agreement that he is not a number 9. Whether Postco's system merits sacrificing Son's true abilities is another matter altogether, particularly when that system is dependent on defenders being attackers, leaving Van Der Ven to play a lone role at the back.

It's definitely a dilemma. Go back 20 years and I'm guessing Sonny would have made a great partner to a physical number 9 in a pair at this stage of his career. That latitude to play off or with the target man and work with some space around. He's more than happy to make the runs.

Sonny is instinctive and natural in the good things he does. The flip side of that is he seems uncoachable on some others. An example is dropping into a defensive space where you can be useful to your mates. 5 managers have tried to teach him how not to let his defenders and midfielders down with his ball watching and non-tracking of runners. It still happens every game. I guess some of the other attributes required for a number 9 he can't grasp either. He's also a coward in the physical aspects of the game.

He's still the guy in our squad who I want the chance to fall to though. Best finisher by a mile. If he sticks around mid to long term, he might even end up as our match winner from the bench.

The reason I vote sell.

Quality player with immense qualities but time to sell and reinvest!

Last edited:
I think Timo more central makes sense. Havertz hasnt done bad for Arsenal and is a similar player. Played wide by Chavs and move more central by Arteta.
£15M for Werner is a no brainer for me. Yes he hasn't found his shooting boots yet but he works his arse off.
Wide players are easier to find IMO so bring in a quality lefty that can switch if need be and have Timo as Toney's back up. Plus we have Will, Jude and Dane to step up

Lots of good thoughts in the above posts .

What a conundrum to have .

A season ago it would have been unthinkable to mention moving Son on . We had no other outlet , sitting deep and playing on the break .,

We don’t play like that anymore , and we need to the sentimental aspects .

I said on another thread some time ago that it would be ridiculous to contemplate selling him , he is our captain, our talisman , our leader ..
well he he stopped doing all that now .

At the moment he has no value in the team . I’ve have said for years that he has two types of games , one where he is so dangerous it is scary , running at defenders , playing one - twos , making runs for others, scoring spectacular goals .

Then he turns up with somebody else’s feet , glazed eyes , and the ball is his enemy.

We are seeing a lot more of the second version at the moment .

Great players can adapt , or just carry on being great .

Son is doing neither this season .

I don’t think Timo ,Son ,or Solomon ,are fitting in with Ange’s plans for next season , unless Son can adapt to a new style .

Mmmmmm!

The reason I vote sell.

Quality player with immense qualities but time to sell and reinvest!

I've said for a while, I wouldn't turn down the big offer. Rackny makes a good point about there being a great chance of finding superb, goalscoring wide players. Losing Luis Diaz to Pool has changed our path a little in my opinion. That guy would have been fantastic in our colours. We need to make sure we get the next one at this level.

I've said for a while, I wouldn't turn down the big offer. Rackny makes a good point about there being a great chance of finding superb, goalscoring wide players. Losing Luis Diaz to Pool has changed our path a little in my opinion. That guy would have been fantastic in our colours. We need to make sure we get the next one at this level.
Yeah but that's easier said than done.

If we are indeed looking for quality over quantity we shouldn't have a problem attracting the players we're after. However does Ange view things as we do or does he still have reservations about the depth of the squad that's available to him. I'm only pointing this out because of our poor showing in the 2nd quarter.

Chelsea were impressive again yesterday. Conner Gallagher in particular, especially as he had to do a Poch bizarre line up and play on the left!?

He continues to impress me more and more; fight, leadership and not a little skill - his passing yesterday was outstanding.

If Chelsea are losing him in the summer, I hope it's us picking him up, he was their stand-out player.

He'd fit right into Ange's midfield and style of play,

Chelsea were impressive again yesterday. Conner Gallagher in particular, especially as he had to do a Poch bizarre line up and play on the left!?

He continues to impress me more and more; fight, leadership and not a little skill - his passing yesterday was outstanding.

If Chelsea are losing him in the summer, I hope it's us picking him up, he was their stand-out player.

He'd fit right into Ange's midfield and style of play,
I'd be happy if we could pick up one of Gallagher or Gibbs-White.

It was quite concerning how Chelsea could go toe to toe with City, and probably deserved to win. We also lost 1-0 to City in the cup, but were battered for most of the 90 mins. Only some poor finishing stopped us being on the end of a 4-0.

You do get the feeling that Poch knows the tweaks he needs to make, particularly finding more players that can get the ball in the net.

I'd be shocked if Gallagher is allowed to leave.