💰 Transfers - Summer 2023 | Page 197 | Vital Football

💰 Transfers - Summer 2023

I think this has already been said, but if things, transfers, buyins etc don't got to plan its all DL's fault, but if things do go right its others who got it done, given all the praise.
I am not a DL follower/backer but surely there must be some leeway given here.

Ok folks got my Hard Hat on, give it some, but I have faced fiercer opposition in my life lol! 🪖 :p :LOL:

The last 4 weeks can be a long time in a summer transfer window.

Our equation right now looks like the sum of Porro, Kulu, Solomon, Maddison and Vicario less the fee for Winksy. Anyway you look at it, it feels like a net spending of over £100m.

Suddenly Kane is gone, and perhaps we see a breakthrough on the Hojbjerg exit and suddenly we're back to net zero again.

Then we get to find out what this shiny new stadium really means to our annual cashflow. I think we've seen a run rate of about £50-60m of net spending in the last few years. My instinct though is that because Kane and Winks sales are pure profit from the academy, we might be pleasantly surprised.
I believe we'll see a top class CB join our ranks then, without one we'll only be asking for trouble.

The club spent £60m on Richi last season, no way we'll be doing that again this year. We've already spent £40m on Maddison & £30-40m on Porro.

We're slap bang in the middle of a rebuild so expectations need to be tempered somewhat. We're not in a position to challenge despite what some might say, there are many more clubs in a better position to do so this year.

I think this has already been said, but if things, transfers, buyins etc don't got to plan its all DL's fault, but if things do go right its others who got it done, given all the praise.
I am not a DL follower/backer but surely there must be some leeway given here.

Ok folks got my Hard Hat on, give it some, but I have faced fiercer opposition in my life lol! 🪖 :p :LOL:

It depends whether you judge Levy on a short term single transfer window or whether you look at the long term. After all, all this mess has been created on his watch and he is ultimately the one earning the big bucks to take the most senior role in the company.

Can you imagine in your former career if any superior officer wasn't accountable for something that happened beneath them in the chain of command all the way up to the Prime Minister? It's laughable.

Levy chose a career in football club ownership and leadership. He has invested his £30m and is becoming a billionaire from our hard earned TV subscriptions, season tickets etc. Football has been a money train for him.

He's made some awful decisions in his tenure but also done some good work. I'm not sure he ever recovered from Trevor Birch coming and going so quickly. That appointment may have changed our recent history. Let's hope Munn can fill some of those gaps missing in Levy's own football portfolio of talents, skills and knowledge.

I believe we'll see a top class CB join our ranks then, without one we'll only be asking for trouble.

The club spent £60m on Richi last season, no way we'll be doing that again this year. We've already spent £40m on Maddison & £30-40m on Porro.

We're slap bang in the middle of a rebuild so expectations need to be tempered somewhat. We're not in a position to challenge despite what some might say, there are many more clubs in a better position to do so this year.

I like the word "expectations" that you use.

It is perhaps the lack of congruence between the different stakeholders expectations that can cause the disconnect. Personally, I don't care for ENIC / Levy's expectations anymore. As you say, if you benchmark our capability against the other clubs, then we know we're somewhere around the bottom of the new top 7 money clubs.

Where we might be cautiously optimistic is no UEFA football. We might get lucky with injuries and we might find that Angeball has a season of surprise factor in the way teams plan against us. There are also a couple of clubs ramping up to UEFA football in Brighton and Villa who might not find that so easy.

I have a feeling we'll enjoy this season, if the 2 pre-season games were anything to go by.

I like the word "expectations" that you use.

It is perhaps the lack of congruence between the different stakeholders expectations that can cause the disconnect. Personally, I don't care for ENIC / Levy's expectations anymore. As you say, if you benchmark our capability against the other clubs, then we know we're somewhere around the bottom of the new top 7 money clubs.

Where we might be cautiously optimistic is no UEFA football. We might get lucky with injuries and we might find that Angeball has a season of surprise factor in the way teams plan against us. There are also a couple of clubs ramping up to UEFA football in Brighton and Villa who might not find that so easy.

I have a feeling we'll enjoy this season, if the 2 pre-season games were anything to go by.
I concur.

If we do make an impression this season it'll be on the entertainment front. We couldn't possibly play as poorly as we did last season, well i wouldn't like to think so.

No European footie should go a long way to allowing us to play to our strengths & with the 5 sub rule i think we'll find the perfect scenario for blooding some of our promising youngsters.

What is unknown at the moment is how any of the retained squad can play together in Ange's set up. We could only judge them in Cuntes strangled system where they were constantly out numbered or pressured and low on confidence and motivation. What we do know is that it will all be pointless (no pun intended) if we can't score goals. With Harry we have a chance of top 6 at least, slim chance without him.
The previous season to last (2021-22) Kane only scored 13 PL goals from open play. We finished 4th. One of the reasons was that Son stepped up.

You have to go back to the 2017-18 season for the last time that Kane scored 20+ PL goals from open play.

There will be no embargo on other players scoring goals even if their individual contribution will not match Kane's. The club isn't going to implode without Kane.

The previous season to last (2021-22) Kane only scored 13 PL goals from open play. We finished 4th. One of the reasons was that Son stepped up.

You have to go back to the 2017-18 season for the last time that Kane scored 20+ PL goals from open play.

There will be no embargo on other players scoring goals even if their individual contribution will not match Kane's. The club isn't going to implode without Kane.
If anything we should retain better shape & with a high press create a lot more opportunities for others to capitalise on. My chief concern is how we handle ourselves at the back.

It depends whether you judge Levy on a short term single transfer window or whether you look at the long term. After all, all this mess has been created on his watch and he is ultimately the one earning the big bucks to take the most senior role in the company.

Can you imagine in your former career if any superior officer wasn't accountable for something that happened beneath them in the chain of command all the way up to the Prime Minister? It's laughable.

Levy chose a career in football club ownership and leadership. He has invested his £30m and is becoming a billionaire from our hard earned TV subscriptions, season tickets etc. Football has been a money train for him.

He's made some awful decisions in his tenure but also done some good work. I'm not sure he ever recovered from Trevor Birch coming and going so quickly. That appointment may have changed our recent history. Let's hope Munn can fill some of those gaps missing in Levy's own football portfolio of talents, skills and knowledge.
In other words ypu’re expecting the Moon to shine! First things first… does Munn really exist? And if he does, has he done anything YET! Considering that he, I assume is being paid! Because all I’ve seen or heard is SILENCE!

Fair play there Muttley!

For me it just looks like those other clubs, around us have been a bit looser with the old purse strings.
Chelsea, God knows where the money is coming from, and how they're working round FFP.
Arse spent big last year, when in a similar to where we are now, similarly, they've made a statement and gone big again this year.
In short, why didn't we get Raya, Maddison, and a decent CB, it would still be in and around 120 mil
My point I's, do we or should we spend 10 mil on Phillips, 5 /9 mil on Lenglet? Surely that would be better going toward VDV or Topsoba.
Similarly why did we spent on Porro who, by the look of it, can't play at RB?
It's that sort of targeting and spending which annoys me, that's what people are calling bargain basement, but in reality were saving nothing...

For me it just looks like those other clubs, around us have been a bit looser with the old purse strings.
Chelsea, God knows where the money is coming from, and how they're working round FFP.
Arse spent big last year, when in a similar to where we are now, similarly, they've made a statement and gone big again this year.
In short, why didn't we get Raya, Maddison, and a decent CB, it would still be in and around 120 mil
My point I's, do we or should we spend 10 mil on Phillips, 5 /9 mil on Lenglet? Surely that would be better going toward VDV or Topsoba.
It's that sort of targeting and spending which annoys me, that's what people are calling bargain basement, but in reality were saving nothing...
Phillips ain't nowhere near £5 mill, its apparently a release clause price around £2.5mil, or less, makes sense to me.

Agreed PY
But I did see that Blackburn slapped around 9 mil on his value, but it could be just media crap.
In reality, it's really showing that we, punters, and indeed, places like 'The Boot room', 'Talk Sport' to mention a couple have been saying about it being 'Groundhog day' as Spurs need a DECENT LCB as this time last year it was, exactly the same, so in reality our monies and focus should've really been on getting that role covered, prior to anything else.

If Porro had been an option to buy rather than an obligation I doubt if we'd taken it up this summer.

As you say it was a very odd decision bringing a player in January specifically for Conte's system when it was fairly clear at that point that Conte wouldn't be staying.

Having said that I can't believe he's as poor defensively as he has been for us. And he is very skilful. It will be interesting seeing if AP can find a role for him. It will be another expensive mistake if he can't.

Phillips ain't nowhere near £5 mill, its apparently a release clause price around £2.5mil, or less, makes sense to me.
Apparently the £2m release clause only comes into effect on Friday which might explain why we have been holding off on the signing, don't be too surprised if another club nips in at the last minute and offers a bit more just prior to the clause taking efect.

If Porro had been an option to buy rather than an obligation I doubt if we'd taken it up this summer.

As you say it was a very odd decision bringing a player in January specifically for Conte's system when it was fairly clear at that point that Conte wouldn't be staying.

Having said that I can't believe he's as poor defensively as he has been for us. And he is very skilful. It will be interesting seeing if AP can find a role for him. It will be another expensive mistake if he can't.
As you say, he is clearly very skilful, maybe he could be considered for the right of the midfield 3 for rotation?

As you say, he is clearly very skilful, maybe he could be considered for the right of the midfield 3 for rotation?

Or even further up. Solomon can play left and right side. Kulu is left footed but tends to play from the right. Perisic and Son could do either, but seem to favour the left. If Emerson came in at RB, we could easily have Emerson, Madds and Porro down that right side.

It's why we should be quite excited. We have options which means competition for places and keeping everyone fresh with timely subs and rotations.