Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 44 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

I would like to see us get the defence sorted out before we did anything else (not this window I would add). It seems critical to Ange's system.

Our defenders not only need excellent all round defensive abilities, they need pace, ball carrying and passing skills. The full backs need to be technically good enough to create chances and in Udogie's case (or his replacement) as an auxiliary forward.

What we've seen is that the system doesn't really function when one of Romero, VdV and Udogie haven't been available. That's why we need cover for every position.
Same as you I've been thinking/talking about longer term when this thread is specifically about the Jan 24 window, I have said elsewhere that our priority in this window is another quality centre back but also to ensure decent cover for those going to AFCON.

I can see Sess coming into the “System “
Perfectly …

As cover for Udogie he seems to have everything .

It isn’t his fault that he has suffered so many injuries .
Our injury record this season hasn’t been so good either , although we do seem to be able to get players fit again petty quickly and ahead of schedule .

I’m looking forward to seeing Sess back , he is currently training again .
I think he could be the perfect fit .
When fit !
Younger players recover more quickly.

Sess has been through the mill with his injury record. We need to remain patient & see how Sess will turn out. If we can get him playing again without constantly breaking down would be a good start. From there anything's possible really.

Seems to be a fair bit of talk around an interest in signing Arthur Vermeeren in the Jan window and loaning him back to Royal Antwerp for the rest of this season. He sounds like a decent midfield player and is likened to Declan Rice but at a reported fee of £25m do we actually have that much to spend on a player for next season when we have more immediate requirements?

Ange Postecoglou on whether after seeming like Spurs needed a new left-sided centre-back, it's now the right that's an issue for the transfer window: "I don't put as much stock into the left-sided or right-sided centre-back scenario, we just need another player in that position who can provide some more depth for us and the ability to change it up.””It won't matter if it is left-sided or right-sided, it is more the profile and characteristics. We didn't go looking for a left-sided centre-back at the start of the year, it just happened that Micky was the perfect centre-back.””Even if we had another left-sided one, I still would have signed him. It is about looking at the right profile, the right characteristics and seeing what is available, then going from there."

Let's hope that isn't the case next season. Davies hasn't had a good season at LB since the poch days.

If we are rebuilding then Davies must be moved on. Why portions of our fan base are trying to justify him staying I will never understand.

Bottom of the table level defender at best. But most importantly he doesn't have the skill set to play Ange ball.
I agree with that.

I just have a feeling that Ange likes him and that he will at least see out his current contract with us which I believe is up until the summer of 25?

We need an upgrade on Romero.

Between his poor injury record, time off with Argentina and pathetic disciplinary record - he is constantly leaving us short in the CB position.

Pulling a great game here and there doesn't make a player elite, and the damage his brain-dead red card vs the Chavs has caused us can not be stressed enough.

Seems to be a fair bit of talk around an interest in signing Arthur Vermeeren in the Jan window and loaning him back to Royal Antwerp for the rest of this season. He sounds like a decent midfield player and is likened to Declan Rice but at a reported fee of £25m do we actually have that much to spend on a player for next season when we have more immediate requirements?

We must always plan for 2-3 season ahead.

Romero injury could be bad news for Dier, could be he won't be allowed to leave in January unless we can sign a replacement or two.

I would still sell him and start playing youngsters.....THIS IS THE YEAR TO DO IT!!!! Table placement shouldn't matter for the most part this season.

It is hard to start a rebuild if you don't actually 'rebuild'!!!!