Transfers - Jan 2024 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Transfers - Jan 2024

The final results schedule for the Summer 23 Transfer Window Predictor competition is attached, the competition having finished on 1st September.

Congratulations to Spurs54 who won the predictor by the narrowest of margins from Scott. 54 lead the competition in the early stages, and returned to the top on the last day, by virtue of Spurs purchase of Brennan Johnson, whereby 54 picked up the 15 bonus points for the closest Spurs prediction. Scott was an unlucky loser, missing out by the minimum margin of five points. TQ2 fell back over the closing days of the window to finish third, whilst USA who had trailed throughout produced a storming finish to end up fourth.

Results by participant were as follows;

54 - 55 points - 2 x Wins, 1 x Tied First, 2 x Second, 1 x tied Second, Spurs win bonus
Scott - 50 points - 2 x Wins, 2 x Tied First, 2 x Second, 2 x Tied Second
TQ2 - 45 points - 4 Wins, 1 x Second
USA - 40 points - 4 x Wins
S&J - 35 points - 2 x Wins, 2 x Second, Spurs second bonus
Teddy - 27.5 points - 2 x Wins, 1 x Tied First
Totty - 22.5 points - 1 x Tied First, 3 x Second
PY - 20 points - 1 x Win, 2 x Second
Walt - 15 points - 3 x Second
Gary - 10 points - 1 x Tied First, 1 x Tied Second

I will contact 54 separately re the prixe fund.
Wow! I didn’t see that coming S&J. I thought TQ had done me again! Unlucky Scotty. I knew Brennan Johnson was going to be my favourite player.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this. I’m seriously impressed with all the data that you collated. So a big thanks from me and I’m sure the rest of the gang on here agree with me.

Last edited:
With the obvious disclaimer that it is early days of under Ange.

Son moving centrally solves that problem but it opens up the question of the left side. Perisic is old, only 1 year left and has never really shown enough consistent quality. Solomon is new and an unknown quantity. Gil while showing occasional sparks has never done enough for us to think that he has long term future. So I will expect us to be linked to Left forwards if not in January then next summer.

Secondly, the cover for VDV and Romero will need to be resolved. If both keep up the current form then it could be more of a punt on an unknown.

Thirdly, we are clearly in the market for another CM given the links to Gallagher. But I'd imagine that would be based upon Hojbjerg moving on.

Fourthly, we will be continuing to pray that some unfortunate club decides for some unknown reason to take Ndombele off of our hands

I think Ange really needs to understand the potential of the U21's before he spends any more money.

If I'm Matthew Craig, I'm not ending up like KWP or Tanganga, as my 21st b'day comes up in the second half of the season. Personally, I think he could already serve a better role in the 1st team squad than Davies. That is a name we should be making available for sale in January.

It's the same with Yago Santiago, who has been electric down the left for the 21s. He'll be having his 21st b'day next April and should be asking himself whether he'll get a chance.

It is perhaps slightly different with the 18 year olds like Dorrington, Lankshear, Donley etc. 2 or 3 years younger and more time on their side.

In January, we should focus most on shifting players. There's the obvious list of Dier, Davies, Hojbjerg, Tanguy, Gio etc but could other players start to be added like Richi and Skipp?

I think Ange really needs to understand the potential of the U21's before he spends any more money.

If I'm Matthew Craig, I'm not ending up like KWP or Tanganga, as my 21st b'day comes up in the second half of the season. Personally, I think he could already serve a better role in the 1st team squad than Davies. That is a name we should be making available for sale in January.

It's the same with Yago Santiago, who has been electric down the left for the 21s. He'll be having his 21st b'day next April and should be asking himself whether he'll get a chance.

It is perhaps slightly different with the 18 year olds like Dorrington, Lankshear, Donley etc. 2 or 3 years younger and more time on their side.

In January, we should focus most on shifting players. There's the obvious list of Dier, Davies, Hojbjerg, Tanguy, Gio etc but could other players start to be added like Richi and Skipp?
The under 21s are flying so far this season. 4 games in and 4 wins, 15 goals scored and only 1 conceded. There must be players in there who deserve spots in the senior bench. If they keep this form up hopefully we are able to get a good few loans for several of them to close the season out with regular senior football

I ran out of time when posting the Transfer Window Predictor results earlier today, but for general interest the below details the summer window activity for each of the PL Clubs, together with the most accurate prediction by player in our competition.

Net spend for Clubs where purchases exceeded sales (in UK pounds);

Arsenal 145.25 million (PY 145 excellent)
Aston V 52.57 (Spurs54 50mill, good predictions throughout)
Bournemouth 109.73 (Teddy 50, nobody came close to Bournemouth's spend)
Brentford 47.62 (Teddy 50, good effort, difficult one to call)
Burnley 93.26 (Scott 70, again more than all expected)
Chelsea 171.39 (USA 150, so many ins and outs, a difficult one)
C Palace 33.65 (USA 35. cheapskates)
Fulham 14.04 (TQ2 17, good call)
Liverpool 96.78 (Spurs54 and Teddy 100, predicts ranged between 75 and 130)
Luton 19.78 (TQ2 12, predictors generally expected more)
Man City 110.09 (USA 120, USA good on the 'big' Clubs)
Man Und 131.62 (S&J 130, must be a typing error)
Newcastle 94.43 (S&J 90, majority expected a bigger spend)
Notts F 53.33 (USA 50, were around the 100 until we bought Johnson)
Shef Und 29.17 (Scott and Totty 30, probably not enough to keep them up)
Spurs 118.17 (Spurs54 100, nice one Daniel, thanks, our forecasts said you're a tightarse)

Biggest spenders, 100 million plus, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Chelsea, City, United and Spurs)

Clubs with negative spend;

Brighton -75.0 (TQ2 -28, only TQ predicted a negative, clearly a selling Club)
Everton -28.7 (TQ2 -5, again TQ saw the negative coming)
West Ham -16.35 (Gary and Scott 20, the sale of Rice skewed predictions big
time).
Wolves -64.09 (Scott 10, nobody close, sold themselves a relegation spot)

Yago Santiago in my opinion is ready for the bench and would be if we could shift the baglog of cloggers in his way.

His two goals the other day were well taken. Maybe next year, when Perisic, Gil, Hobby, Ndombele, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Richi and Loco are gone; we might just see a little more of Devine, Yago, Dorrington, Donley etc.

Yago Santiago in my opinion is ready for the bench and would be if we could shift the baglog of cloggers in his way.

His two goals the other day were well taken. Maybe next year, when Perisic, Gil, Hobby, Ndombele, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Richi and Loco are gone; we might just see a little more of Devine, Yago, Dorrington, Donley etc.

I guess that is the point I'm making. That won't happen if we bring in externals in the Jan window. I'm becoming increasingly optimistic that it may happen under Ange though. Dier not making the match day squad is one thing when everyone's fit on opening day of the season. 5 games in, Japhet gone, and it was Phillips that Ange turned to. That gives us hope.

I'm looking for more of these transitions

From what I've seen, Santiago needs to become relevant for 90 mins and not just in key moments. He has the tools though. My instinct is that Matthew Craig is perhaps the next one to come in. He should be a threat to both Davies and Skipp's place on the bench.

I ran out of time when posting the Transfer Window Predictor results earlier today, but for general interest the below details the summer window activity for each of the PL Clubs, together with the most accurate prediction by player in our competition.

Net spend for Clubs where purchases exceeded sales (in UK pounds);

Arsenal 145.25 million (PY 145 excellent)
Aston V 52.57 (Spurs54 50mill, good predictions throughout)
Bournemouth 109.73 (Teddy 50, nobody came close to Bournemouth's spend)
Brentford 47.62 (Teddy 50, good effort, difficult one to call)
Burnley 93.26 (Scott 70, again more than all expected)
Chelsea 171.39 (USA 150, so many ins and outs, a difficult one)
C Palace 33.65 (USA 35. cheapskates)
Fulham 14.04 (TQ2 17, good call)
Liverpool 96.78 (Spurs54 and Teddy 100, predicts ranged between 75 and 130)
Luton 19.78 (TQ2 12, predictors generally expected more)
Man City 110.09 (USA 120, USA good on the 'big' Clubs)
Man Und 131.62 (S&J 130, must be a typing error)
Newcastle 94.43 (S&J 90, majority expected a bigger spend)
Notts F 53.33 (USA 50, were around the 100 until we bought Johnson)
Shef Und 29.17 (Scott and Totty 30, probably not enough to keep them up)
Spurs 118.17 (Spurs54 100, nice one Daniel, thanks, our forecasts said you're a tightarse)

Biggest spenders, 100 million plus, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Chelsea, City, United and Spurs)

Clubs with negative spend;

Brighton -75.0 (TQ2 -28, only TQ predicted a negative, clearly a selling Club)
Everton -28.7 (TQ2 -5, again TQ saw the negative coming)
West Ham -16.35 (Gary and Scott 20, the sale of Rice skewed predictions big
time).
Wolves -64.09 (Scott 10, nobody close, sold themselves a relegation spot)
Typical bloody Gooners missed my perfect hit by £0.25m grrrr! Arsewipes lol!

The final results schedule for the Summer 23 Transfer Window Predictor competition is attached, the competition having finished on 1st September.

Congratulations to Spurs54 who won the predictor by the narrowest of margins from Scott. 54 lead the competition in the early stages, and returned to the top on the last day, by virtue of Spurs purchase of Brennan Johnson, whereby 54 picked up the 15 bonus points for the closest Spurs prediction. Scott was an unlucky loser, missing out by the minimum margin of five points. TQ2 fell back over the closing days of the window to finish third, whilst USA who had trailed throughout produced a storming finish to end up fourth.

Results by participant were as follows;

54 - 55 points - 2 x Wins, 1 x Tied First, 2 x Second, 1 x tied Second, Spurs win bonus
Scott - 50 points - 2 x Wins, 2 x Tied First, 2 x Second, 2 x Tied Second
TQ2 - 45 points - 4 Wins, 1 x Second
USA - 40 points - 4 x Wins
S&J - 35 points - 2 x Wins, 2 x Second, Spurs second bonus
Teddy - 27.5 points - 2 x Wins, 1 x Tied First
Totty - 22.5 points - 1 x Tied First, 3 x Second
PY - 20 points - 1 x Win, 2 x Second
Walt - 15 points - 3 x Second
Gary - 10 points - 1 x Tied First, 1 x Tied Second

I will contact 54 separately re the prixe fund.

LOL...how the heck did I do that!!!

Thanks Smithy, great work.

Upset I am going to miss out on some of that superb red you were offering!!!

Yago Santiago's form this season has taken the youth reporters by surprise from what I've seen. Apparently its quite unexpected as he's not usually one of the stand outs. Let's see if it's his new standard or if it's just a brief spark

I guess that is the point I'm making. That won't happen if we bring in externals in the Jan window. I'm becoming increasingly optimistic that it may happen under Ange though. Dier not making the match day squad is one thing when everyone's fit on opening day of the season. 5 games in, Japhet gone, and it was Phillips that Ange turned to. That gives us hope.

I'm looking for more of these transitions

From what I've seen, Santiago needs to become relevant for 90 mins and not just in key moments. He has the tools though. My instinct is that Matthew Craig is perhaps the next one to come in. He should be a threat to both Davies and Skipp's place on the bench.
This summer's window had to be used to bring in ready made replacements for a number of positions that clearly needed strengthening. Indications are that that has been successfully achieved whereby come the end of the season, and next summers window, it should be more about making one or two 'marquee' signings to strengthen the overall squad further for European competition, whilst also increasing the home grown youngsters component within the squad. It certainly should not be a repeat scenario of having to plug gaping holes, we certainly begin to look as if we've got a decent player, sometimes two, for every position.

This summer's window had to be used to bring in ready made replacements for a number of positions that clearly needed strengthening. Indications are that that has been successfully achieved whereby come the end of the season, and next summers window, it should be more about making one or two 'marquee' signings to strengthen the overall squad further for European competition, whilst also increasing the home grown youngsters component within the squad. It certainly should not be a repeat scenario of having to plug gaping holes, we certainly begin to look as if we've got a decent player, sometimes two, for every position.

You can almost predict next summer's transfer window.

I think we have to find named non-homegrown slots for Udogie, Gil and Sarr next season so theoretically we have to reduce by 3 just to accomodate them.

That is covered by Hugo, Dier, Sanchez, Perisic being end of contract. I'm sure Hojbjerg will want out, whilst you can see scenario where Richarlison's camp get him a move.

That's the space for the 2 "marquees", if they're not homegrown.

You can almost predict next summer's transfer window.

I think we have to find named non-homegrown slots for Udogie, Gil and Sarr next season so theoretically we have to reduce by 3 just to accomodate them.

That is covered by Hugo, Dier, Sanchez, Perisic being end of contract. I'm sure Hojbjerg will want out, whilst you can see scenario where Richarlison's camp get him a move.

That's the space for the 2 "marquees", if they're not homegrown.
Gil already counts as foreign this season. But I doubt Lloris is named this year as he would bring us over quota (unless he takes Sanchez spot if he is moving now but i think it's too late for that).

So moving Hugo, Dier, Sanchez, Perisic, Richarlison and Hojbjerg only creates 5 spots, minus the 2 for Udogie and Sarr that is 3 opened up